Windows 10: Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website

Discus and support Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; A friend with a Lenovo i7 P50 Thinkpad with Win 10 factory installed. Creators Update installed via Windows Update a few weeks ago. Called me last week... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by n2ubp, May 27, 2017.

1. n2ubp Win User

Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website

A friend with a Lenovo i7 P50 Thinkpad with Win 10 factory installed. Creators Update installed via Windows Update a few weeks ago. Called me last week reporting that he could no longer view web pages using Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or IE. I checked event viewer and saw one of his music creation programs was using a proxy server that was failing. I uninstalled the program and he was able to access web sites for a week, then yesterday the problem came back but no related errors in event viewer. Opening up a CMND window I could ping and tracert any web site without problems. His e-mail works. team viewer works. The web browsers will not connect, hang sometimes, and when closed and exited can still be seen running under task manager or process explorer. I get an error message saying the program can not be terminated when I try to kill it with process explorer or task manager. I ran a half dozen or more antivirus / malware programs which only come up with PUP's and one or two malware not related to this problem. NO proxy settings seen in the browser / internet settings. Running ipconfig /flushdns /release /renew doesn't help either. Suggestions appreciated. - Steve*Rolleyes

:)

n2ubp, May 27, 2017

2. Cannot connect to websites

I am running Windows 10 64 bit with latest updates as of 3/18/2017.

Connection status says that I am connected to internet.

None of my browsers (Edge, IE, Chrome, Firefox) will go to any websites.

All other devices in the home are OK. It is only my laptop.

dcooper.cse, May 27, 2017
  3. Keep getting "Failed - Download error"

I've been trying to download an .exe file from my security software provider, Webroot, to fix a toolbar problem in Firefox but keep getting a failed download error but no error code is provided. This happens with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE. I've downloaded
    it to my phone and then connected it to my PC to copy it over but it disappears a couple of seconds later, same with a flash drive. The toolbar shows up in Chrome and IE, Edge isn't supported. Can someone help me? This is a password manager toolbar, without
    it I can't access my passwords in Firefox. Yes, I know all I have to do is use Chrome but I much prefer Firefox.

CK Campbell, May 27, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Just a wild guess, is that computer by chance using any kind of proxy service or HideMyID service provided by an installed AV or Internet Service package by any number of free or pay-for products?

RolandJS, May 27, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    " I ran a half dozen or more antivirus / malware programs which only come up with PUP's and one or two malware not related to this problem."

The malware must be fixed.

Run Malwarebytes and report the results.

What other malware have you found that you have not been able to fix?

In administrative command prompt run:
    sfc /scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Are all of the files backed up?

If you cannot eradicate all of the malware and PUP's with antivirus software then you may want to stop troubleshooting and perform a clean install deleting partitions, formatting the drive, making an unallocated drive and then reinstalling windows 10 version 1703 using a bootable windows 10 iso.

zbook, May 27, 2017
  6. n2ubp Win User
    Not that I am aware of. He is running Sophos. I'm not familiar with its features. I will check. Thanks, Steve

n2ubp, May 27, 2017
  7. n2ubp Win User
    Looks like he is running Malwarebytes Trial Premium edition 3.1.2 .
    Disabling Web Protection allows web browser access to the internet.
    Interesting.

n2ubp, May 27, 2017
  8. n2ubp Win User

"Run Malwarebytes and report the results."

No hits. Previously I've run a combination of Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Rogue Killer to wipe out PUPs and malware.

"What other malware have you found that you have not been able to fix?"

None.

In administrative command prompt run:
    sfc /scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Are all of the files backed up?

Yes, with Acronis 2017

If you cannot eradicate all of the malware and PUP's with antivirus software then you may want to stop troubleshooting and perform a clean install deleting partitions, formatting the drive, making an unallocated drive and then reinstalling windows 10 version 1703 using a bootable windows 10 iso.

n2ubp, May 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Try Safe Mode with Networking.
    4 Ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10 | Digital Citizen
    Option 2

If it was just internet access then perhaps:

Check the Hosts file. That can be used to block internet access.
    (E.g. Simplify Your computer Usage - Part 3 HostsEditor)

If using some firewalls, they can be set to block all access.

Check security settings - incl. Restricted sites

Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website [​IMG]

But you say
    You could try a clean boot, but I suspect there's something nasty or corrupt somewhere.

dalchina, May 28, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    Were you able to run both sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth?

Report the results for each in the forum if they were not able to complete, completed successfully, found integrity violations, were not able to repair etc

Run the Microsoft easy fixes for all of the problems that you are experiencing or run them from the on board computer troubleshooter.:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-fix-solutions

Internet explorer, wireless and network adapters, security and privacy with IE, hardware and devices, incoming connections, internet connections, etc
    Open control panel > troubleshooting > left pane view all >

For each troubleshooter used choose advanced settings and run as administrator.

For all troubleshooters click on detailed information to expand the menu and then for any items fixed use the snipping tool and copy and paste into the forum.

Let us know which problems were fixed and which ones were not fixed after using the troubleshooters

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website - Similar Threads - Edge Chrome Firefox

2. wierd font in all browsers!! Edge, Firefox, Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wierd font in all browsers!! Edge, Firefox, Chrome: Hi there.I'm Frontend Developer. Some websites such as nextjs.org had wierd font. In some my emails this font applied. I have no idea what it is! I tryed many ways to fix this. install windows again some doing registry setting and no diffrent. when I use vite technology for...
  3. wierd font in all browsers!! Edge, Firefox, Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wierd font in all browsers!! Edge, Firefox, Chrome: Hi there.I'm Frontend Developer. Some websites such as nextjs.org had wierd font. In some my emails this font applied. I have no idea what it is! I tryed many ways to fix this. install windows again some doing registry setting and no diffrent. when I use vite technology for...
  4. wierd font in all browsers!! Edge, Firefox, Chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fonts on all browsers chrome/firefox/edge are coming in as "symbols" on some websites.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fonts on all browsers chrome/firefox/edge are coming in as "symbols" on some websites.: See this screenshot I took. This has been happening on some websites, but not every one. I've been trying to mess with different font settings but no luck so far. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm on Windows 10 and everything is up to date....
  6. Fonts on all browsers chrome/firefox/edge are coming in as "symbols" on some websites.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fonts on all browsers chrome/firefox/edge are coming in as "symbols" on some websites.: See this screenshot I took. This has been happening on some websites, but not every one. I've been trying to mess with different font settings but no luck so far. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm on Windows 10 and everything is up to date....
  7. Fonts on all browsers chrome/firefox/edge are coming in as "symbols" on some websites.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. "Failed - Virus scan failed" on google chrome,edge,ie

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Failed - Virus scan failed" on google chrome,edge,ie: i edited the subzKEY in registry editor, but it says "error editing scanwithantivirus" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/failed-virus-scan-failed-on-google-chromeedgeie/466ca187-7b81-49bd-8867-8a0b6a2de277
  9. Firefox "blocked by administrator; Edge, Chrome, Opera, IE not blocked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox "blocked by administrator; Edge, Chrome, Opera, IE not blocked: I run W10 (upgrade from 8.0) on a Lenovo G700 laptop. This morning, I reinstalled Firefox, but I get a "blocked by administrator" message. Chrome, Opera, Edge and IE all work normally. I can bring Firefox up with "Run as Administrator," but that won't work when I click on a...
  10. How to Bookmark websites in IE,Edge and Chrome automatically?

in Browsers and Email
    How to Bookmark websites in IE,Edge and Chrome automatically?: hello everyone, i want to bookmark websites automatically. i don't want to follow manual process. please guide me? Thanks 79545