Windows 10: Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

Discus and support Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; ... Or is there anyway I could use adobe reader to open PDF documents in EDGE? ... Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nigelmercier, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

Is there a way to force Edge to download PDF Files, or open in Acrobat Reader?

:)

nigelmercier, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Entegy Win User

How to override Microsoft Edge as the default PDF viewer? I wish I could uninstall it, but Microsoft apparently has it protected.

That has nothing to do with Edge or Acrobat, but the website in question.

A website can tell a browser that the file the user clicked absolutely must be downloaded. In that case, Edge will download the file and offer "open" and "save" options. This allows you to download the file automatically then open the file your default PDF
    viewer if your default viewer is not Edge.

If a website doesn't tell the browser that the file must be absolutely downloaded, then Edge (and Chrome and Firefox) will just open PDFs as a webpage.

Entegy, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    How to open downloaded pdf file

Hi Mary,

When opening a PDF file, Microsoft Edge is the default PDF reader of your Windows 10 computer. Once you've downloaded the PDF file, just double-click it and Microsoft Edge will open the file.

If you have additional question, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader?

Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Thanks, but I want to download the original, not print it.

nigelmercier, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    I am running Windows 10 and I have went into default programs menu and I have set Adobe Acrobat as my default PDF reader. It is very easy to do, go to start and enter default programs. Of course you have to download Adobe Acrobat first, but still a very quick and easy thing to do.

Rocky, Aug 6, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    Perhaps check the PDF program's options and see if theres something that does what you want.

swarfega, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

Just change the default PDF reader to Adobe Acrobat. I changed my to Foxit Reader and it works great in Firefox. I do not use Edge.

Gary, Aug 6, 2015
  9. Looks like everyone is happy with having .pdf files open inside your preferred browser? I'm trying to figure out how to have online links to PDF documents open those documents in the Adobe Acrobat/Reader window, when using the Edge browser. Not in Edge itself. Edge dumbs down the PDF manipulation options, the same way Windows 10 dumbs down O.S. options, as compared to Windows 7. This new guy running Microsoft, Satya Nadella, must really have a low opinion of the average consumer's intelligence.

AllenChicago, Sep 18, 2015
  10. Absolutely not. As in OP, my preferred option is to download any PDF files, but failing that, open in Acrobat Reader.

nigelmercier, Sep 18, 2015
  11. gpstoloff Win User
    gpstoloff, Sep 18, 2015
  12. hawkman Win User
    If your happy to muck around in the registry, try this downloads to>>> desktop.

hkey.current.user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explore\user shell folders 374de290etc\%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Roy

hawkman, Sep 18, 2015
  13. Enzo Win User

Best solution may be to save the file and then use 'open with'

14. You have to use any browser BUT Edge if you want to click on a .pdf link and have the document open in your installed PDF reader...Adobe, Foxit, etc.. It's a good thing Windows10 allows other browsers, and to make one of them the "default" browser, or I would have never upgraded from Win7.

AllenChicago, Oct 17, 2015
  15. There's a hole in my bucket ...

nigelmercier, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Edge: Force Download PDF Files, or Open in Reader? - Similar Threads - Edge Force Download

2. Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge: Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization. The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some...
  3. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  4. Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative: Hello, I have this issue I am having trouble with. I have a Microsoft surface. My surface got updated this morning. Before then, I could read all the pdf-s in Microsoft Edge application by moving the pages with my finger and then annotating/taking notes with my electronic...
  5. How to force Chrome to open a PDF file

in Browsers and Email
    How to force Chrome to open a PDF file: When reviewing my broadband bill, Chrome insists on saving the PDF file before I can review it but the file displays in Edge without saving. How can I force Chrome to always display a PDF file without needing to save it first? 138538
  6. Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge): My Windows 7 desktop came with Nuance pdf Reader installed. My Windows 10 default is Edge, but I don't like it and I use Internet Explorer 11 for a browser. Can you suggest a pdf Reader? Thanks, cb 119456
  7. open pdf files using Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    open pdf files using Edge: I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/open-pdf-files-using-edge/c94f483d-1aba-4fca-acad-949ae4d5e628
  8. Cannot download or open pdf in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot download or open pdf in Edge: Sometime over the past couple of days I have lost the ability to download any files when browsing with Edge and I cannot open PDF files from within Edge either. Downloading just says xxxx.yyy couldn't be downloaded and nothing will fix it - yet I can download using IE or...
  9. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.: Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one. I have made the change of...
  10. How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge

How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge: I open a lot of manuals and Edge is so basic. It shows nothing from introduction to index just the manual. I used to be able to go to the index and find the specific part of the manual I need. Has Microsoft blocked this. REO 16350