Windows 10: Edge Hijacking?

Discus and support Edge Hijacking? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is this a highjacking? Did scans with Defender, Mbam, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro, which none detected. Could not open Edge without it appearing.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dencal, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dencal Win User

Edge Hijacking?

Is this a highjacking?
    Did scans with Defender, Mbam, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro, which none detected.
    Could not open Edge without it appearing.
    Finally solved with a backdated recovery.

:)

dencal, Sep 14, 2015

2. Edge keeps crashing

That does not work for me. I tried it several times.

RonCheney1, Sep 14, 2015
  3. bavalde Win User
    How to Resolve Microsoft Edge crashing to desktop

Hi,

I'm having the same experience, i.e. Edge crashes approx 5-20 after launch. Every time.

This is on AU (14393.10 Enterprise).

The "fix" suggested above (ie re-create a new user etc) is a rather ugly hack.

I'd rather not do it to be honest. Are there any other ways to fix this?

I've not seen this crash on any of the recent pre-AU Insider builds of Edge...

Baffled.

BR Bjørn

bavalde, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Edge Hijacking?

Hi!
    Looks like a scammers managed to infect your computer with malware. There is no point in calling the number. They would take control of the computer, steal data and extort money.

Start the infected computer in SAFE MODE and install Malwarebytes. It should be able to detect and remove this infection.

Regular antivirus programs may not be very effective against adware.

You can also try Eset Online Scanner.

Cluster Head, Sep 14, 2015
  5. TrustMe Win User
    It looks like a hijacking. Next time you are browsing the Internet and something like that appears, DO NOT click on anything. Just Control, Alt, Delete, and End Task.

TrustMe, Sep 14, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    It does not just look like - it is malware

WhyMe, Sep 14, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    Don't recognize where that phone number actually is but not in the USA. It does imply they have live people available to relieve you of your money.

Berton, Sep 14, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Edge Hijacking?

No, there are no 'live' people on that number. The phone number is absolutely dead as I tried it a few minutes ago. And I so wanted to wind them up too!

WhyMe, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    It's neither malware, nor a hijacking (in the traditional sense). It's just a webpage that you can't close because they make clever use of javascript. Once you can successfully close the page, it will be gone. Typically, you do this by disabling your network connection, then killing Edge, and reopening it.. then closing the tab. If you leave your network connection on it will just reload the page.

Mystere, Sep 15, 2015
  10. dencal Win User
    What is the point of seizing control of Edge? if nobody answers the phone as stated by Whyme in an earlier post.
    I can confirm that even doing a control alt delete and end task would not get rid of it.
    Wish I had known earlier that breaking the internet connection would solve the problem, still recovery although slower solved it.

dencal, Sep 15, 2015
  11. WhyMe Win User
    It's a backdoor entry into your system. You ring "Microsoft" on the number provided. They chat with you and suggest having remote access to your system to resolve issues. They may then ask for your credit card details or for you to send money to them via internet-banking for the 'service' provided. Or they go straight ahead and infect your system. Or they do both. Either way it is bad.

The phone number has been probably been discontinued as the issue was up on MS support/answer pages a while ago by users asking questions. They probably have a different number now from where they can provide 'support'

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  12. I agree with the above - it's nothing installed on the machine or an infection - just the browser misbehaving.

Disconnect from the internet, kill the browser, re-open, clear cache/cookies etc and it will go away

garydexter, Sep 15, 2015
  13. dencal Win User

Edge Hijacking?

Just the browser misbehaving? So much then for the so called improved security with Edge, not to mention evading Defender.

dencal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge Hijacking?

1. Edge Hijacking? - Similar Threads - Edge Hijacking

2. Microsoft Edge hijacks .pdf extension at every Windows initialization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge hijacks .pdf extension at every Windows initialization: Hello MIcrosoft , That´s not a question but a complaint. It's an old issue that had given me for some time a respite but now is back and much worse than before. Since last update Microsoft Edge has hijacked .pdf extension at every damn morning as I start up Windows. I believe...
  3. Microsoft Edge hijacks .pdf extension at every Windows initialization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge hijacks .pdf extension at every Windows initialization: Hello MIcrosoft , That´s not a question but a complaint. It's an old issue that had given me for some time a respite but now is back and much worse than before. Since last update Microsoft Edge has hijacked .pdf extension at every damn morning as I start up Windows. I believe...
  4. Microsoft Edge hijacks .pdf extension at every Windows initialization

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. how can i put my computer back the way it was before i was hijacked with an automatic edge...

how can i put my computer back the way it was before i was hijacked with an automatic edge...: windows 10, edge issuethe dark overlord microsoft, hijacked me to a point i cannot find an answer for, as i am not a tech saavy individual. i dont want my devices to sync no matter what the digital universe thinks is best for me, asking 10 times a day. i like to keep my...
  6. how can i put my computer back the way it was before i was hijacked with an automatic edge...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how can i put my computer back the way it was before i was hijacked with an automatic edge...: windows 10, edge issuethe dark overlord microsoft, hijacked me to a point i cannot find an answer for, as i am not a tech saavy individual. i dont want my devices to sync no matter what the digital universe thinks is best for me, asking 10 times a day. i like to keep my...
  7. how can i put my computer back the way it was before i was hijacked with an automatic edge...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.: Hi,I know this question has been asked, but I have had trouble finding a definitive/permanent solution.I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and periodically Edge will suddenly deem itself to be the default app for opening files such as PDF and .html. I do not want to use Edge to...
  9. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.: Hi,I know this question has been asked, but I have had trouble finding a definitive/permanent solution.I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and periodically Edge will suddenly deem itself to be the default app for opening files such as PDF and .html. I do not want to use Edge to...
  10. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge hijacking 2018