Windows 10: Edge is catching Firefox User's eye

Discus and support Edge is catching Firefox User's eye in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Just offering some feedback to y'all about Edge vs. Firefox Quantum. I have a Lenovo Flex 14 that committed 2GBs of 8GBs of RAM to a GPU. This model... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by The Pool Man, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Edge is catching Firefox User's eye

Just offering some feedback to y'all about Edge vs. Firefox Quantum.

I have a Lenovo Flex 14 that committed 2GBs of 8GBs of RAM to a GPU. This model didn't exist long and get replaced by a 12GB model so that you didn't have to be me with only 6. Luckily that laptop isn't my work horse but it would be nice to find a browser that isn't greedy with RAM.

I have a feeling Edge is pretty good that way. On my main PC I opened the same pages. (This is while I'm ripping some DVDs so don't read the entirety of RAM use as just browser related.) In each test I cleared RAM with the Wise app.

So this is my PC ripping DVDs without any browser open and Memory 'cleared' if you will.

Edge is catching Firefox User's eye [​IMG]

Edge open with 6 pages.

Edge kinda cheat and pretends pages are opened. Not really because when you click on them THEN they load. So I clicked all of them and the result was --

or 1371 megabytes used for those pages.

Okay, close Edge, run Wise, and got pretty much the same amount of free RAM.

Opened the same pages and made sure they had loaded. Firefox feels faster overall.

The RAM usage

1749 Megabytes. That's a noticeable bump of 378 Megabytes. Imagine double the pages open.

If that helped anybody.

:)

The Pool Man, Jun 22, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Microsoft Edge blocking Firefox

You don't really need to 'nuke' edge to install firefox.

You can get it installed and made default in 3 easy steps

1. Download the latest firefox here
    2. Start firefox - it should prompt you to set it as default - Follow what happens, and pick firefox as your default
    3. Else, Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs (use win r or paste that into explorer. Find firefox, and select "set as default"

That should make firefox your default and not fire up edge automatically.

Journeyman Geek, Jun 22, 2020
  4. nsmth Win User

Edge is catching Firefox User's eye

importing firefox bookmarks to edge

The only browser that shows up in Edge to import bookmarks from is Internet Explorer. I also have Firefox and Chrome installed but neither shows on the import list. Anxious to try Edge but will continue using Firefox until I can import bookmarks.

nsmth, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Edge is catching Firefox User's eye

1. Edge is catching Firefox User's eye - Similar Threads - Edge catching Firefox

2. CATCH - 22

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CATCH - 22: Hello, Hoping someone in the Community can advise. I seem to be in a Catch-22 situation. I need to use the Restore files facility on Onedrive as deleted files without knowing that Onedrive then deletes them frm storage. But hve no storage space on my main pc to reload. These...
  3. Eye contact not for all Windows 11 user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Eye contact not for all Windows 11 user?: Dear community,just invested in a new Surface Pro with i7 processor and windows 11. Have nought bought the model X due to the lower performance in NID. Now it looks like that Microsoft only made the eye contact add on software not for Windows 11 available, ONLY if you buy the...
  4. Eye contact not for all Windows 11 user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Eye contact not for all Windows 11 user?: Dear community,just invested in a new Surface Pro with i7 processor and windows 11. Have nought bought the model X due to the lower performance in NID. Now it looks like that Microsoft only made the eye contact add on software not for Windows 11 available, ONLY if you buy the...
  5. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Browsers and Email
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  6. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  7. Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start menu recommends Edge to Firefox users: Windows 10 has been brimming with ads designed to persuade you into using Microsoft service or Store apps. Microsoft also advertises or suggests apps and services to users via the Windows 10’s Start menu. By default, Start menu has a “Suggested” listings for Windows Store...
  8. Firefox User Manual ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox User Manual ?: I am planning to download and install Firefox on my windows 10 Home desktop computer. Is there a User Manual or introduction Guide to help me get started? I am too old-school to just wildly click around. cb 132362
  9. Firefox Quantum vs. Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Quantum vs. Edge: Theoretically or actually, would moving from the ease and simplicity of MS Edge to the new Firefox Quantum be of great benefit to a everyday, non power user? 98655
  10. Copy problem with Edge but not Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Copy problem with Edge but not Firefox: On some sites, if I highlight or try to highlight something to either use Cortana to find or just copy, Edge will hang up and eventually I will get a message that "XX" site is not responding and ask me if I want to recover the page. I can go to the same site with Firefox...