Windows 10: Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this?

Discus and support Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a brand new laptop and this version of Win 10 switches the default app for pdf-files back to Edge every time I update my third party pdf... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AKraemer, Jan 18, 2019.

1. AKraemer Win User

Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this?

I have a brand new laptop and this version of Win 10 switches the default app for pdf-files back to Edge every time I update my third party pdf software. How do I stop this from happening? It is extremely annoying.

:)

AKraemer, Jan 18, 2019
  2. NS_2017 Win User

Edge keeps replacing Adobe as default PDF viewer

Microsoft Edge keeps reverting to the default PDF viewer and it's extremely frustrating. I believe it occurs whenever I unzip files using winzip. I know how to reset the default application but it's time consuming doing it once or twice every day and shouldn't
    be necessary.

Why does it keep changing back to Microsoft Edge and how can I stop this?

Can i remove Microsoft Edge completely?

Why does Adobe not appear in the default programs list? How can I add this to the list as if it did appear the steps to change the default viewer would be quicker.

NS_2017, Jan 18, 2019
  3. w1ksz Win User
    PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows
    has adapted.

I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it
    back to Edge (lousy pdf reader).

How can I put a stake into this thing and keep the deafault app I want.

Thanks,

Richard S.

w1ksz, Jan 18, 2019
  4. Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this?

Can't change default app for .pdf files

Hi there!

I'm assuming that you've already tried changing the default app for .pdf files through the option called 'Choose default apps by file type' under
    Settings > System > Default Apps.

After selecting Drawboard as your default app for .pdf files, does it show Drawboard right away or does it go back to Microsoft Edge after closing the Settings window and/or after opening a .pdf file, it opens up Microsoft Edge instead?

If changing it under the 'Choose default apps by file type' under Settings > System > Default Apps still doesn't work, I would recommend doing what we call the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) scan on your
    computer which would refresh any corrupted windows components (e.g. Settings App, File Explorer, etc.)

You can do it by doing the following:

• Press Win + X on your keyboard
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It can take some time before it finishes but after the scan, please do reboot your PC and try again.

Please let us know how it goes.

Michael Sarno, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this?

1. Edge keeps trying to change the default app for pdf-files. How do I stop this? - Similar Threads - Edge keeps trying

2. How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default: So I play Baldur's Gate 3 and while working on adding a couple of mods in, I accidentally selected for all .pak files to open in Edge by default which has meant that ALL my .pak files for the game are trying to open in Edge which has essentially knackered my game. I have...
  3. How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop .pak files opening in Edge as Default: So I play Baldur's Gate 3 and while working on adding a couple of mods in, I accidentally selected for all .pak files to open in Edge by default which has meant that ALL my .pak files for the game are trying to open in Edge which has essentially knackered my game. I have...
  4. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  5. How to change the default app for .pdf files

How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  6. How to change the default app for .pdf files

7. .pdf files default program keeps changing

.pdf files default program keeps changing: Hello, I am trying to have my Adobe 9.0 to be my default program for .pdf files. I have tried right clicking on the file in file explorer, clicking open with, and choosing Adobe 9.0 and selecting set as default app. However, once I go back to the file explorer and click on...
  8. Win 10 keeps changing the default app for pdf-files back to Edge. How do I stop this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 keeps changing the default app for pdf-files back to Edge. How do I stop this?: I have a brand new laptop and this version of Win 10 switches the default app for pdf-files back to Edge every time I update my third party pdf software. How do I stop this from happening? It is extremely annoying....
  9. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows has adapted. I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it back to Edge (lousy pdf...
  10. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I prefer Adobe Reader for pdf files, but no matter how many times I set the default app to Adobe, it keeps getting changed back to MS Edge. How do I put a stake in this vampire !! ?? Thanks, Richard S. 98032