Windows 10: Edge no longer launches after changing Home URL

Discus and support Edge no longer launches after changing Home URL in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 build 18363.657 OS which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 on 20th Aug 2019 and had updates and upgrades so it is up-to-date:... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wiganken, Mar 5, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Edge no longer launches after changing Home URL

Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 build 18363.657 OS which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 on 20th Aug 2019 and had updates and upgrades so it is up-to-date: -

My PC has two profiles. Myself (Administrator) and my wife (a Standard user). On my profile Edge launches fine with the Home page displaying correctly. I then proceeded to set up Edge on my wife's profile and everything was fine until I made a mistake in the "Settings / Start up / Open a specific page URL". Instead of typing the full "Homepage" URL I shortened it. I should have entered "https://www.bbc.co.uk" but shortened it to "bbc.co.uk" thinking that Edge would recognise the URL and correct it. It does not recognize it and so it can no longer launch. In my case the mistyped URL was deliberate but surely Edge should be able to handle mistyped URLs. It seems wrong that Edge can't handle a mistyped URL.

Q - Is there a way to remove the incorrect Home page from outside the Edge environment so that Edge will launch again?

Thanks in advance.

:)

wiganken, Mar 5, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Site links not working in Chrome or Edge

Hi,

Have you tried resetting your browser? If not, we suggest you to do so. To reset Edge, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Browser Settings.

• Clear
      Browser Data.

• Close the browser and launch it again.

If the issue persist, follow these other steps:

• Go to
      Task Manager.

• Click on
      MicrosoftedgeCP.exe

• End the task.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Mar 5, 2020
  4. mrbrimi Win User

Edge keeps changing ChangeUnitGenerationNeeded "0"

My favorites stopped syncing so I read the Tutorial How to Turn On or Off Sync Favorites and Reading List in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.

I ran the reg file to turn on syncing. Gave it time but nothing happened. So I went into the registry and found that ChangeUnitGenerationNeeded was set to "0". Changed it manually to "1". Launched Edge. Went back into registry and found ChangeUnitGenerationNeeded reset to "0". Went through this a number of times using the reg file and/or manual change.

Every time I launch Edge the entry is reset to "0".

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

mrbrimi, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Edge no longer launches after changing Home URL - Similar Threads - Edge longer launches

2. Is there a way to launch a url screen at oobe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to launch a url screen at oobe?: I need to have end users complete and get training certs before logging into the computer. I would like to be able to have them complete the training at the OOBE screen....
  3. Is there a way to launch a url screen at oobe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to launch a url screen at oobe?: I need to have end users complete and get training certs before logging into the computer. I would like to be able to have them complete the training at the OOBE screen....
  4. URL is no longer clickable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URL is no longer clickable: Not sure if since the last update but links are no longer clickable. I cant even copy them in the app.Phone Link 1.22022.180.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-is-no-longer-clickable/620a6130-8e51-4d0c-bdfd-a13d6ba6368d
  5. URL is no longer clickable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URL is no longer clickable: Not sure if since the last update but links are no longer clickable. I cant even copy them in the app.Phone Link 1.22022.180.0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-is-no-longer-clickable/620a6130-8e51-4d0c-bdfd-a13d6ba6368d
  6. Edge no longer launches with pinned tabs? (87.0.664.66)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge no longer launches with pinned tabs? (87.0.664.66): As of the last official update pinned tabs no longer open with the browser anymore. Is this by design? submitted by /u/xXMadSupraXx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfajyx/edge_no_longer_launches_with_pinned_tabs_87066466/
  7. URL change

in Browsers and Email
    URL change: Can somebody explain what is happening here? (Win10 Pro, Firefox) I look to live cam video on YouTube: Aurora Borealis in Lapland, Finland *Live Stream* - YouTube I make an internet shortcut in a folder on the desktop. Everything is ok till here. Then I shift this internet...
  8. Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar: This is an odd one, and a minor gripe, so please bear with me. As of yesterday when I click the URL searchbar (at the top) the transition to "most popular" and "log" happens in two chunks without a smooth scroll. The best way to describe this is if you click the "..."...
  9. EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL: When I put in Anadarko High School Class Of 1959, Anadarko, OK the page opens for a second and then is redirected to Welcome. This does not happen in Firefox, it opens the anadarko59 site and stays there. As far as I know, the anadarko59 URL is the only one this happens to...
  10. Change " edge" to different home page

in Browsers and Email
    Change " edge" to different home page: Hi guys looking for some help on setting my home page in the Edge (spartan) which ever they call it by ! Everything i try does not work, i have tried >>> Microsoft Edge Startup Page - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums ................... and it goes back to this page...