Windows 10: Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input

Discus and support Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! I have just noticed that when I have Controlled Folder Access (CFA, block mode) and I open up (the old) Edge via Windows Defender Application... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by saosilvestre, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input

Hi!

I have just noticed that when I have Controlled Folder Access (CFA, block mode) and I open up (the old) Edge via Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) I am unable to type anything on Edge. Mouse is fine. Navigation (as long as keyboard input is not needed) is fine as well.

For instance, if you click on address bar the cursor shows there but it accepts no input from keyboard. And yes, I have dismissed the "select your country" popup.

Controlled Folder Access reports nothing blocked. Nowhere. So nothing to be allowed.

I have had a look at Event Viewer but there was nothing unusual there - probably I am wrong here!

I would like to know if someone else has already experienced the same problem. It is not a critical problem to me but it seems rather too strange to actually be true.

For starters, let me say that I am running:
    . Windows 10 v1909 Pro 18363.635 (standard, not an insider version) - but I think I have experienced the same with v1903.
    . A Samsung laptop - with all Samsung-created bundled application - although I don't think this is the problem here.
    . Everything up-to-date: Windows Settings, Microsoft Store, Samsung Update.

PS: if you are trying yourself please reboot after setting CFA on. My tests were made with the old Edge, not the Chromium-base one.

Thank you!

:)

saosilvestre, Feb 1, 2020

2. Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input

Hi!

I have just noticed that when I have Controlled Folder Access (CFA, block mode) and I open up (the old) Edge via Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) I am unable to type anything on Edge. Mouse is fine. Navigation (as long as keyboard input is not needed) is fine as well.

For instance, if you click on address bar the cursor shows there but it accepts no input from keyboard. And yes, I have dismissed the "select your country" popup.

Controlled Folder Access reports nothing blocked. Nowhere. So nothing to be allowed.

I have had a look at Event Viewer but there was nothing unusual there - probably I am wrong here!

I would like to know if someone else has already experienced the same problem. It is not a critical problem to me but it seems rather too strange to actually be true.

For starters, let me say that I am running:
    . Windows 10 v1909 Pro 18363.635 (standard, not an insider version) - but I think I have experienced the same with v1903.
    . A Samsung laptop - with all Samsung-created bundled application - although I don't think this is the problem here.
    . Everything up-to-date: Windows Settings, Microsoft Store, Samsung Update.

PS: if you are trying yourself please reboot after setting CFA on. My tests were made with the old Edge, not the Chromium-base one.

Thank you!

saosilvestre, Feb 1, 2020
  3. Application Guard Container Service High CPU

Hi
    aka72twn,

The background process "Windows Defender Application Guard" is normal and it's very important to
    Microsoft Edge.

It's not only for Windows 10 Enterprise, but rather applies in
    Windows 10 Pro build 1803. When you browse a website, this process will highly consume CPU usage to activate a fundamental security that prevents any attacks while you are up in the Internet.

For more information about how it works, visit the links below:

If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input

Is there a way to see what is trying to access my controlled folder?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Controlled folder access helps
    you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware. It is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard. You can view the access history via Event viewer. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Right click on Start button and then click on Event Viewer.
    2. Then click on Applications and Services and then on
      Microsoft.
    3. Then click on Windows and then
      Windows Defender
    4. Then click on Operational and filter the even ID to
      (Blocked controlled folder access event).

For more information, please refer to the article: Protect
    important folders with controlled folder access

Regards,

Naresh_K, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input

1. Edge on Application Guard + Controlled Folder --> no keyboad input - Similar Threads - Edge Application Guard

2. Edge Application Guard - DNS not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge Application Guard - DNS not working: For quite a while, DNS has not worked for any Edge Application Guard window. Entering the IP address works fine for both local and internet addresses. DNS works fine for non-AG windows and for all other apps....
  3. Edge Application Guard - DNS not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge Application Guard - DNS not working: For quite a while, DNS has not worked for any Edge Application Guard window. Entering the IP address works fine for both local and internet addresses. DNS works fine for non-AG windows and for all other apps....
  4. Edge Application Guard - DNS not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. why edge in application guard look like , edge in win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why edge in application guard look like , edge in win 10: I found only this place to say this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-edge-in-application-guard-look-like-edge-in/5ed27684-571c-43ca-afef-aac4df5be90a
  6. New application guard window on edge not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New application guard window on edge not working: Basically the title. When i click it, nothing happens, i thought it should open another edge window. Also, i see there is a msft virtual disk HDD which is 8/8 gb. Can someone explain me? submitted by /u/AbnormalTrickshot [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows Defender Application Guard only for Edge?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Application Guard only for Edge?: While the new Windows Defender Application Guard introduced in the Fall Creators Update if very cool and great, but looks like it is only intended for Edge browser. Edge is still not complete and unstable and crashes as I read on many user experiences with it. I just...
  8. Turn On Advanced Graphics in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On Advanced Graphics in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On Advanced Graphics in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Advanced Graphics in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...
  9. Introducing Windows Defender Application Guard for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Windows Defender Application Guard for Microsoft Edge: We’re determined to make Microsoft Edge the safest and most secure browser. Over the past two years, we have been continuously innovating, and we’re proud of the progress we’ve made. This is reflected by Microsoft Edge having the fewest vulnerabilities of any major browser on...
  10. Open New Application Guard Window in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open New Application Guard Window in Microsoft Edge: How to: Open New Application Guard Window in Microsoft Edge [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web. Announced...