Windows 10: Edge opens new window maximized

Discus and support Edge opens new window maximized in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've installed the new anniversary update, and with Edge now supporting extensions, I'm going to give it a try. But there is a showstopper for me. I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ziggy999, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ziggy999 Win User

Edge opens new window maximized

I've installed the new anniversary update, and with Edge now supporting extensions, I'm going to give it a try.

But there is a showstopper for me. I don't normally use tabs when browsing - I rather open new windows. Clicking Ctrl+N to open a new window works fine, but the problem is that the new window is maximized. I then have to doubleclick the title bar of the new window to restore it to correct size (same as main window).

The main Edge window has the correct size (also when first opening Edge) - the issue seems only to affect new Windows.

Any ideas?

:)

ziggy999, Aug 2, 2016

2. Edge Doesn't Remember Window Size

Give these a try:

Option 1:

Open Microsoft Edge.

If the window is maximized, minimize it first.

Once the window is minimized, hover your cursor to the side until you see an arrow. Press and hold the left click button on your mouse to adjust the size of the window.

Once done, close Microsoft Edge.

Open Microsoft Edge, and check if it will keep the same size that you've adjusted.

Option 2:

Open Edge then maximize window, press CTRL while left click on Restore Size/Maximize (top right of the window). After closing Edge it will open with the last size.

Option 3:

Open Start

Type regedit

Right click regedit

Click Run as administrator

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationFrame\WindowSizing\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Under this key there is a subkey named PreferredLaunchWindowingMode.

Change it's HEX value from 0x000000(1) to 0x000000(0) and it should behave correctly.

Exit, restart then seee if it works.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Edge Doesn't Remember Window Size

None of the above work. Guess I'll just live with the annoyance.

GregCowling, Aug 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Give it time to settle into your way of working, I found my Edge was initially opening maximised but after a few false starts it is all opening correctly and remembers how I last used the window (size and position).

philc43, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Edge opens new window maximized - Similar Threads - Edge opens window

2. Edge keeps exiting maximize mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge keeps exiting maximize mode: Edge is my least favorite browser, and I don't use it as my default browser. I found an issue with that. When I open MS Edge, it appears that it has exited maximize. I tried to stretch it to make it look like it was maximied, but it gets set back to the size where it exited...
  3. Chrome window option is set to maximized...but not always opens maximized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chrome window option is set to maximized...but not always opens maximized: Good afternoon,After setting Chrome run option as Maximized, I started testing.I always have 1 Chrome window with several tabs opened let's call it perm window so when I want to open a new window I do right click on the perm window tab and select new window...so here it comes...
  4. new tab open in new edge

in Browsers and Email
    new tab open in new edge: sometimes when i login after sleep a new tab opens in new edge by itself it is different everytime 158737
  5. Open "edge://surf" on the new Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open "edge://surf" on the new Edge: Game submitted by /u/oneberto [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g9l57r/open_edgesurf_on_the_new_edge/
  6. Gmail not opening in new Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gmail not opening in new Edge: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Stranger_Hanyo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eq5gtb/gmail_not_opening_in_new_edge/
  7. Edge open URL in new Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge open URL in new Windows: Edge is not currently our default browser due to multiple incompatibilities with various applications. Some sites must open in Chrome for proper functionality. For sites that are Edge compatible we would like to create shortcuts to launch those web apps in a new Edge...
  8. Open Maximized Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open Maximized Windows: Is there a way to open all of my documents maximized? I know on the shortcuts I have to got to properties, maximized but I'm guessing I have to do this to every shortcut I have. There's got to be a way to do this in batch. Thanks...
  9. Open link as new window in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Open link as new window in Edge: In IE, there was a setting to open links (e.g., ones selected by shift-clicking, or ones with a target attribute in the anchor tag) into a new window instead of a new tab. I can't find a way to do this in Edge - in general, the number of user-adjustable settings seems to be...
  10. Force ALL new explorer windows to open maximized?

in Windows 10 Support
    Force ALL new explorer windows to open maximized?: Is there a reg mod to Force ALL new explorer windows to open maximized? I know how to change the properties to open the shortcut maximized...but I'm wanting ALL windows to open maximized. For example when right clicking on a folder in explorer and selecting "Open in new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge always maximized

2. edge is always opening maximized

3. microsoft edge new window maximized

4. edge open new window not maximised,
  5. edge PreferredLaunchWindowingMode,
  6. windows 10 edge opens maximized