Windows 10: Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

Discus and support Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; under start menu then advanced it now says 'c user' was that a mistake? if i made a mistake changing it, can i set index back to whatever its... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tonightwetaco, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

under start menu then advanced it now says 'c user' was that a mistake?

if i made a mistake changing it, can i set index back to whatever its default was?

currently the index location says 'C:\Users" it didnt say that earlier

tonightwetaco, Mar 17, 2018
  2. dalchina New Member

Well, what I have is

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox [​IMG]

- if that's what you mean..

And to confirm whether your setting is meaningful see

- in the right hand window I can see some of my Start Menu (with iconised folders in my case).

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  3. yep exactly what I am talkng about.

i searched to C but cant find Program data

4. dalchina New Member

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

Literally paste this into file explorer's address bar
    C:\ProgramData

Have you at some time modified Indexing Options?

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  5. apologies. I mean i cant enter it into the field in the index where your says ' C:\ProgramData/Microsoft'

i cant type or paste into that field. It forces me to use a tree but I dont see ProgramData

yes i did modify them at some point

6. This all seems like a lot of trouble!
    Why not just put a Firefox shortcut in the task bar? Simple. Guaranteed to work since 1995.

margrave55, Mar 17, 2018
  7. thanks for the idea but i like a naked task bar

8. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

was able to make 'c programdata/mcrosoft show up in the indexing tree by showing hidden files. that issue is solved.

9. dalchina New Member
    Use 'Modify'.
    The path is shown as follows for Start Menu:

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    It seems the problem may have been self-inflicted by modifying default settings in Indexing Options. We'll see.

If so, the search index won't generally reflect the start menu- a more general problem than just FF.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  11. the modification i made has been reset back to its original setting. Regardless, the issue of installed apps not coming up in search as i type persisted, before I made any changes to indexing.

12. can anyone think of a reason why an app wold be visible in the start menu but not show up when i search apps in the start menu?

13. Bree New Member

Yes. When it is in the user's personal Start menu. By default only the 'all users' Start gets indexed.

To find out which Start menu holds the shortcut, click Start, find the app and right-click on it. Select More > Open file location. If you end up in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs then it's on your personal Start menu.

To add this location in indexing, look for it under Users.

14. dalchina New Member
    Notice what you said in your post #12..

dalchina, Mar 18, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    Yes, and just ticking Users in indexing isn't enough because AppData is specifically excluded. You have to go down through the folders list and tick...
    Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Thema:

1. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox - Similar Threads - Edge shows search

2. Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?: This is a genuine question from me that I always ask myself. If I stay on the results page, am I safe? Is it likely or is it not? Sorry for all the questions but I have one more, how does it work if possible? Google , Firefox , and Edge...
  3. Icons not showing up in windows search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not showing up in windows search: [ATTACH]I dont quite know what to do with this [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-not-showing-up-in-windows-search/e7b50d44-3213-4805-a83b-bb70016749bf
  4. Firefox search function

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox search function: I have my firefox homepage set up with the address bar etc across the top, bookmarks bar on the second line then nothing on the lower screen except the firefox name and emblem with my google search box under that. The only issue I have not been able to remedy is when I open...
  5. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Browsers and Email
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  6. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  7. Firefox Bookmark Search

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Bookmark Search: When I open up the bookmark manager, and do a search, how can I tell which folder the bookmark is in? 157783
  8. Windows settings are not showing up on search

in Cortana
    Windows settings are not showing up on search: Hello, I just installed win10 today on my new SSD. But there is an issue I am facing on search. On my previous OS, when I search "Disk Management" it doesn't appear. Same for "Adjust ClearType text" and many things. Seeking for help....
  9. "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search

in Cortana
    "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search: I am trying to disable bing results when I search using the windows 10 search bar. Every article I have found saying how to do this says that I must search "cortana" in the search bar and click on the result that says "Cortana & Search settings". However, there is no result...
  10. Firefox not showing up in default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox not showing up in default apps: I read the blog and it's fix, and I do not know what the guy actually is doing. See: Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums