Windows 10: Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

Discus and support Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Yes. When it is in the user's personal Start menu. By default only the 'all users' Start gets indexed. To find out which Start menu holds the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tonightwetaco, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

found it in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

looks like this now

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox [​IMG]

tonightwetaco, Mar 18, 2018

2. Bree, would you be willing to work with me on this issue?

tonightwetaco, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    I'm already subscribed to this thread, I'll do what I can.

The first thing to do would be to ask if you have changed any of the default locations, such as moving User's folders to another drive.

Also, is it just Firefox that's missing from Search results? If not, how many others? Which ones? And how many third-party apps DO appear? I believe you've already said that CCleaner does.

4. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

I have not changed any user folder locations i wouldn't know how. This is a fresh install as well.

Firefox now shows when i search for it after i clean installed the OS again.

Ccleaner, Steam, WUMT, does not show when i search start menu and others.

thanks, Bree

tonightwetaco, Mar 22, 2018
  5. I have not changed any user folder locations i wouldn't know how. This is a fresh install as well.

Firefox now shows when i search for it after i clean installed the OS again.

Ccleaner, Steam, WUMT, does not show when i search start menu and others.

thanks, Bree

if you would like to connect to my system I am more than happy to show you that there are many programs listed in the start menu that arent searchable in teh start menu. Im not sure what sets them apart

6. Bree New Member
    Well, that's an improvement...

...oh dear, and CCleaner used to be one you could find *Sad

I don't have Steam or WUMT, so let's just compare Firefox and CCleaner. Look in the All apps list for each one. Right-click on it and select .More > Open file location'. For each one, is it in ...ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (the all users start menu) or ...AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (your personal start menu)?

If both are in the All Users start menu then the default indexing should find them. Check that indexing has completed. Try rebuilding the indexing.

7. CCleaner is located - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (for the record CCleaner still shows when I search the Start menu, it just has to be fully typed out whereas Firefox I can type 2 characters and it pops up. Might as well just navigate to CCleaner manually)

FIrefox is located - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

these are all shortcuts by the way that located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

reset indexing and it has completed at 179,742

8. Bree New Member

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

That can change with time, the more you use CCleaner from the Search results the less you have to type for it to appear as 'Best match'.

For this to happen you must turn on 'Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results' in Settings > Privacy > General. I suspect you may have turned it off along with the other more intrusive settings there.

9. I have enabled 'Let Windows track app launches', thanks!

I guess I will give it a few days and report back, hopefully it learns more best matches.

tonightwetaco, Mar 23, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    It's a quick learner, should only take two or three launches of CCleaner from 'search' to just need 'CC' to find it.

11. oh wow because I have launched it dozens of times and i still need to type ccleaner in full for it to be a best match. any ideas?

tonightwetaco, Mar 24, 2018
  12. i run ccleaner and Disk Cleanup often, do you think it erasing info that would cause this issue?

tonightwetaco, Mar 25, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

So do I. These are the CCleaner settings I use (and have just tested) - CCleaner still comes up for me after typing just 'CC'.

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox [​IMG]

Another possibility is that 'CC' is not enough to uniquely identify CCleaner in the search. Do any other Start menu entries that begin with 'CC...' appear in your search?

14. when i type 'C' 'Control Panel' pops up but that's it. i have to fully type ccleaner

tonightwetaco, Mar 25, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    When I type 'C' I get...
    Best matchControl PanelAppsCalculator
    Command Prompt
    After launching Calculator twice from a search for 'C' it becomes 'Best match' and Control Panel is relegated to 'Apps'. Search for 'C' and launch Control Panel and it becomes ' Best match' again. This is how the 'learning' is supposed to work, does it do that for you?

A second 'C' gets just CCleaner.

Thema:

1. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox - Similar Threads - Edge shows search

2. Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?: This is a genuine question from me that I always ask myself. If I stay on the results page, am I safe? Is it likely or is it not? Sorry for all the questions but I have one more, how does it work if possible? Google , Firefox , and Edge...
  3. Icons not showing up in windows search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not showing up in windows search: [ATTACH]I dont quite know what to do with this [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-not-showing-up-in-windows-search/e7b50d44-3213-4805-a83b-bb70016749bf
  4. Firefox search function

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox search function: I have my firefox homepage set up with the address bar etc across the top, bookmarks bar on the second line then nothing on the lower screen except the firefox name and emblem with my google search box under that. The only issue I have not been able to remedy is when I open...
  5. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Browsers and Email
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  6. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  7. Firefox Bookmark Search

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Bookmark Search: When I open up the bookmark manager, and do a search, how can I tell which folder the bookmark is in? 157783
  8. Windows settings are not showing up on search

in Cortana
    Windows settings are not showing up on search: Hello, I just installed win10 today on my new SSD. But there is an issue I am facing on search. On my previous OS, when I search "Disk Management" it doesn't appear. Same for "Adjust ClearType text" and many things. Seeking for help....
  9. "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search

in Cortana
    "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search: I am trying to disable bing results when I search using the windows 10 search bar. Every article I have found saying how to do this says that I must search "cortana" in the search bar and click on the result that says "Cortana & Search settings". However, there is no result...
  10. Firefox not showing up in default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox not showing up in default apps: I read the blog and it's fix, and I do not know what the guy actually is doing. See: Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums