Windows 10: Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

Discus and support Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In fact, if you type 'C' and get Control Panel as 'Best match' below that is should say 'Apps' and list just those app beginning with 'C' that you... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tonightwetaco, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

In fact, if you type 'C' and get Control Panel as 'Best match' below that is should say 'Apps' and list just those app beginning with 'C' that you regularly launch from a search.

Click on the word 'Apps' to get a full list of everything that Indexing has found that qualifies as an app and begins with 'C'. Your most used app should be the 'Best match' for the 'apps: C' search. Try launching CCleaner from there a few times.

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox [​IMG]

2. ccleaner never shows up under apps when i type any portion of it

tonightwetaco, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    Type C and click on 'Apps' as I suggested (or just type apps: C ). Does CCleaner appear anywhere in the full scrollable list of 'apps: C' search results?

4. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

does not show up

tonightwetaco, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    does not show up OK, that's odd - it does for me.

Next, let's check the CCleaner entry on the Start menu itself. Click Start and scroll down the All apps list to find CCleaner. I have a CCleaner folder with two entries:
    CCleanerCCleaner
    CCleaner HomepageRight-click on CCleaner (the one with the CC icon) and select More > Open file location. For me that opens File Explorer at:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner

Does it do so for you? If not, where does it take you?

6. i removed the shortcut from its folder long ago. i don't like folders on my start menu.

the cc shortcut is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

curious!
    i decided to type out CCleaner fully and trace its location. its in C:\Program Files\CCleaner

tonightwetaco, Mar 27, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    That could go some way to explaining it then. I have noticed before that when the indexing has found the .exe itself rather than a shortcut to it on Start you always have to type it out in full. An example of that is the Netplwiz control panel tool. That's indexed as being Windows\System32\netplwiz.exe and I always have to type it out in full. Search seems designed to prioritise results it finds from the Start Menu over those it finds elsewhere.

Did you also rename the CC shortcut when you moved it out of the original folder? If so that may also have confused Search.

I would now try moving the shortcut for CCleaner out of the All users Start menu (say, to your Desktop), make sure it's named just 'CCleaner' then copy or move it back to the All users Start menu. This may encourage Search to add it to the indexing correctly.

You do not have permissions to create a new shortcut in the All users Start menu, only to copy or move one to there. I know that shortcuts I have manually added to Start in this way show up in Search after the first few letters are typed, so re-adding CCleaner to Start may get it to shows with just 'CC'.

8. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

hadn't renamed the shortcut.

okay i moved it to my desktop then back to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

still does not show in search when typing C

9. Bree New Member
    I have to type CC to find it, a single C isn't enough. Try removing the original shortcut again. Then make a new shortcut to CCleaner on your desktop, name it CCleaner and move that into the All users Start menu. You may also need to wait for indexing to catch up with the changes.

10. Barman58 Win User
    You have to remember that the windows search is primarily an indexed search, it is set to return results in a preset order As @Bree has suggested once it finds them in the index - It may be worthwhile checking that the relevent file locations are still listed in the Index and then refreshing the actual index

Shawn's batch file here is something that you may consider adding to your backup regime, as a post backup option

Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Barman58, Mar 27, 2018
  11. did as you said Bree and also rebuilding index. will report back

here is my index by the way

12. Bree New Member
    I do not have Program Files or Program Files (x86) included in my indexing. I also note that I have Start Menu in mine whereas you do not. This could explain why your search just finds the .exe for CCleaner.

13. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

used the bat file to fix it. still wont shw in search\

14. any other ideas? Am i at the point where i should install Windows again?

tonightwetaco, Mar 28, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    No further ideas, except to say that if/when you reinstall Windows (and Firefox, and CCleaner, et. al.) I would recommend not 'tidying up' your Start menu this time. Leave it as it is for now and see if the search works as it should, learning to get Firefox and CCleaner after just the first one or two letters.

Only then would I begin to change the Start menu (if you must) and then only one app at a time, checking that search still works after moving each of the shortcuts.

Thema:

Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox

1. Edge shows up in windows search but not Firefox - Similar Threads - Edge shows search

2. Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you get your Windows hacked by a Google,Firefox, or Edge Search?: This is a genuine question from me that I always ask myself. If I stay on the results page, am I safe? Is it likely or is it not? Sorry for all the questions but I have one more, how does it work if possible? Google , Firefox , and Edge...
  3. Icons not showing up in windows search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not showing up in windows search: [ATTACH]I dont quite know what to do with this [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-not-showing-up-in-windows-search/e7b50d44-3213-4805-a83b-bb70016749bf
  4. Firefox search function

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox search function: I have my firefox homepage set up with the address bar etc across the top, bookmarks bar on the second line then nothing on the lower screen except the firefox name and emblem with my google search box under that. The only issue I have not been able to remedy is when I open...
  5. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Browsers and Email
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  6. Replace Edge with Firefox`

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Edge with Firefox`: In "Settings" there are help links but they will not open with Firefox even though it is default; only with Edge; how do resolve this? 161986
  7. Firefox Bookmark Search

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Bookmark Search: When I open up the bookmark manager, and do a search, how can I tell which folder the bookmark is in? 157783
  8. Windows settings are not showing up on search

in Cortana
    Windows settings are not showing up on search: Hello, I just installed win10 today on my new SSD. But there is an issue I am facing on search. On my previous OS, when I search "Disk Management" it doesn't appear. Same for "Adjust ClearType text" and many things. Seeking for help....
  9. "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search

in Cortana
    "Cortana & Search settings" not showing up in windows search: I am trying to disable bing results when I search using the windows 10 search bar. Every article I have found saying how to do this says that I must search "cortana" in the search bar and click on the result that says "Cortana & Search settings". However, there is no result...
  10. Firefox not showing up in default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox not showing up in default apps: I read the blog and it's fix, and I do not know what the guy actually is doing. See: Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums