Windows 10: Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser

Discus and support Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Working in Windows 10, every few days Edge takes over as the default application for PDF (which we have set to Adobe). At the same time, it becomes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GregRickard, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser

Working in Windows 10, every few days Edge takes over as the default application for PDF (which we have set to Adobe). At the same time, it becomes the default browser (changing from Chrome).

We have repeatedly gone to Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type & Set default by app. Nothing provides a permanent solution.

We have also repeatedly right-click on PDF icons and changed the "Opens with" to Adobe.

We have had this problem consistently since we bought our new computer from Dell which had Windows 10 already installed.

Is there any way of removing Edge from our computer because this is wasting a lot of our time.

We have found many other people on the internet who have had this problem, but no one has solved it.

:)

GregRickard, Aug 25, 2018

2. Microsoft Edge Overrides Default Program for PDF

Hi,I've checked the Event Viewer and found nothing related. Unfortunately I don't know how to use that tool either. I change the default program to open PDF files to Adobe Acrobat and the icon of the PDF file change into the Acrobat icon and the file is
    opened in Acrobat. The situations when Edge overrides as default program for PDF I've encountered are :

1.simply by right click and refresh and the PDF file icon turns into Edge icon;

2.sometimes it will keep Acrobat as the default program to open PDF files, but when reopen a PDF file, and it does launch using Acrobat, but the default program has been changed(the icon changes into Edge immediately). And another weird thing is, sometimes
    Acrobat will popup a window and saying if use it as the default program and by choosing yes, it's changed into Edge. : (.

It's kind of annoying...I'd rather uninstall Edge if possible.

Zheng Yuen, Aug 25, 2018
  3. Override Edge from PDF default

Hi Chris,

I realize that all web-based PDF pop open EDGE. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    Follow the steps to set the default programs and check if that helps.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persists, follow these additional steps and check if that helps.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.
    Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser

Unable to set default browser

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

To set Internet Explorer/Edge as a default browser, I suggest you to follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key and type Default Program in search and hit enter.
    • Select "Set your default programs"
    • Click on “Internet Explorer" or “Edge”.
    • Select "Set this program as default” and Click OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser

1. Edge Takes Over Default Programs for PDF and Browser - Similar Threads - Edge Takes Default

2. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  3. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.: Hi,I know this question has been asked, but I have had trouble finding a definitive/permanent solution.I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and periodically Edge will suddenly deem itself to be the default app for opening files such as PDF and .html. I do not want to use Edge to...
  4. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.: Hi,I know this question has been asked, but I have had trouble finding a definitive/permanent solution.I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and periodically Edge will suddenly deem itself to be the default app for opening files such as PDF and .html. I do not want to use Edge to...
  5. Edge Browser and/or Windows 10 Hijacking Default Apps for PDF, html, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Yahoo browser taken over the edge browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Yahoo browser taken over the edge browser: Yahoo browser taken over the edge browser and I can't get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/yahoo-browser-taken-over-the-edge-browser/bf9b1347-6647-4be4-8abf-dea2f647e234
  7. OneNote taking over default printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OneNote taking over default printer: I have a problem with onenote taking constantly taking over as the default printer. I have unchecked "Let windows manage my printers" but i still have to change my default printer several times a day. This is on Windows 10. Any suggestions?...
  8. Pdf Highlighted text in Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pdf Highlighted text in Edge Browser: Hello all, I am using edge as a pdf reader and I am highlighting it while reading. And now I want to check all my highlighted texts without traversing the whole document like we can do in Adobe. How to do it??...
  9. Edge Browser - cannot print to pdf file

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Browser - cannot print to pdf file: I cannot use the Microsoft print to pdf feature on my Lenovo laptop from the Windows 10 Home Edge browser. The print screen shows a blank preview. Print to pdf does work on the laptop from any other app such as Word, OneNote, etc. I can print to pdf from Edge on my desktop...
  10. Edge Browsers & PDF'S

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Browsers & PDF'S: Why is it, when I click to open a PDF from my brokerage account to view a trade confirmation, Edge cannot open the PDF, however, when I switch to IE or Chrome no problem opening the same? Thanks 19348