Windows 10: Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled

Discus and support Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Fresh install of Windows 10 20H2 v2. I disabled all three default scheduled tasks (two for Edge and one for OneDrive). But even after restarting, Edge... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by centen, Dec 17, 2020.

1. centen Win User

Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled

Fresh install of Windows 10 20H2 v2.
    I disabled all three default scheduled tasks (two for Edge and one for OneDrive).

But even after restarting, Edge Update (MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe) still runs sometimes.

Can it be disabled in some other way or is this just another Microsoft thing (either bug or intended behavior)?

:)

centen, Dec 17, 2020

2. How to disable or uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

UPDATE AUGUST 2018: Microsoft keeps changing things a bit, but you can still "Disable" the Edge browser by doing the following:

1. Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys and tap the delete key, then click on Task Manager.
    2. If it says "More details" at the bottom of the Task Manager window, click on it to show more details.
    3. Scroll down the list and look for "Microsoft Edge". If you find it in the list, right click on it and select "End task".
    4. Now, open File Explorer and find the folder "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" and rename that folder to anything you wish. (I normally just append some text to it like "_remove" so I can easily re-enable Edge in the future if I desire.)

Edge should now be "disabled".

Keep in mind that Microsoft may try to re-enable Edge during a future update...

THE ANSWERS BELOW ARE OLDER ANSWERS...

UPDATE: In January 2017 I disabled Edge on a new Windows 10 install by simply renaming the "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" folder. (If you are asked to allow administrator privileges be sure to answer in the affirmative.) Renaming this folder was not possible in the past without following the more detailed steps below. This much simpler approach achieves the exact same results as the more complex instructions below! However, for older installations and/or Windows upgrades the below instructions may still be the only answer.

THE ANSWER BELOW THIS LINE IS THE OLDER ANSWER...

As already stated, the other answers are no longer valid due to changes in Windows 10 -- Microsoft has removed all supported methods for disabling Edge. As of today, this answer still works. Although parts of this answer were given, not all of it was given together in a step by step manner.

• Go to: C:\Windows\SystemApps\
    • Open folder Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    • Right click on MicrosoftEdge file then Properties / Security / Advanced / Click Change (next to owner) and change to your username, then click OK
    • Then Click Edit, then add your username and give full permissions
    • Rename MicrosoftEdge file to MicrosoftEdge_remove or a name of your choice
    • Repeat all above steps for file MicrosoftEdgeCP also
    • Done! Edge will not run!

Been running Windows 10 Pro like this on 100+ PCs for several months without issues.

A NOTE REGARDING WINDOWS ANNIVERSARY UPDATE: The Anniversary update appears to undo the above changes and re-enable Edge. In my case I just ran the above steps again, and Edge is once again disabled.

Joe Gayetty, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled

microsoft edge icon missing from task bar

Hi Robert,

We suggest that you open Microsoft Edge via Run just to verify if Microsoft Edge is installed in the PC. If it comes up, pin it to the taskbar.

To open Microsoft Edge via Run, see steps below:

• Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R.
    • In the text field, type microsoft-edge: and then click
      OK

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled

1. Edge Updater runs even with the Task disabled - Similar Threads - Edge Updater runs

2. Microsoft Edge Webview running a lot in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge Webview running a lot in task manager: In Search, there aren't usually that many processes in it, like 3 or 4, but now, there are 14.A lot of it is Microsoft Edge WebView2. I noticed this was added to the weather app which makes it a lot like a web browser do to all the ads. It's really annoying when all I want is...
  3. Microsoft Edge Webview running a lot in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Webview running a lot in task manager: In Search, there aren't usually that many processes in it, like 3 or 4, but now, there are 14.A lot of it is Microsoft Edge WebView2. I noticed this was added to the weather app which makes it a lot like a web browser do to all the ads. It's really annoying when all I want is...
  4. ms edge running even when the app is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms edge running even when the app is closed: Recently, pc encountered a very strange error where ms edge keeps playing even though it's not been opened. I know that edge keeps running in the background but it keeps on starting abruptly where and everytime it starts i see youtube is running on the app and can even hear...
  5. New Chromium Edge running 29 tasks??

in Browsers and Email
    New Chromium Edge running 29 tasks??: I only had 3 tabs open, (one of the tabs to businessinsider dot com) trying to watch a video on business insider, and the video was buffering big time. I looked at task manager and there are 29 instances of Edge running! Is that normal? 163157
  6. Edge Update Task Scheduler

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Update Task Scheduler: I know that Google Chrome does this, but this is the one feature about Chromium browsers that I hate. There are two tasks created that are meant to update Edge--which is good--but I don't like the fact that they run at a certain time for the duration of one day; however, I...
  7. Ads for Edge on start menu, even with 'suggestions' disabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ads for Edge on start menu, even with 'suggestions' disabled: As stated in the title. I have "Show Suggestions" disabled under Personalization, but got another start menu ad for Edge today on my start menu. Unfortunately I X'd out the ad before digging farther into this, but I'm pretty pissed off. Yes, it's a small issue--but I...
  8. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  9. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  10. Microsoft Edge icon issue - not showing even when edge is running

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge icon issue - not showing even when edge is running: Hi guys, I am running Microsoft Edge on windows 10, however when I run Microsoft Edge, the icon is missing from the task bar but still appears to recognise it.. I have also just rebuilt my laptop yesterday with a fresh OS of windows 10 pro. [img] Any suggestions...