Windows 10: Edge wants to do a first-time install when called from other apps

Discus and support Edge wants to do a first-time install when called from other apps in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I prefer Edge over Chrome for my default browser, but recently it began occasionally auto-launching as if it were a first time install (Welcome to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Telos, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Telos Win User

Edge wants to do a first-time install when called from other apps

I prefer Edge over Chrome for my default browser, but recently it began occasionally auto-launching as if it were a first time install (Welcome to Edge). If I let it do that, I lose all my settings and bookmarks (I now backup Edge settings weekly). I want to stop this behavior.

I originally noticed this behavior when I double-clicked certain PDFs, Edge would launch as if it were its first time (even if Edge was already running). I've since changed PDF associations to another program.

I thought these nuisance launches were behind me. But today, while running OneNote 2013, I selected a note to be viewed in fullscreen. When I did that, Edge launched with it's nefarious Welcome screen again. So I opened Task Manager to kill Edge before it took over (it already added a few "default" bookmarks from who knows where).

What's with this? And how do I prevent it? I'm about to revert to Chrome (!!!)

Thanks in advance. This is Win10 x64 Home 20H2.

:)

Telos, Feb 26, 2021

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 26, 2021
  3. AndreTen Win User
    View Poll Results: Do you use Edge as your primary browser??

I found suggestion on MS forums that could work. Did you tried this?

AndreTen, Feb 26, 2021
  4. rk3066 Win User

Having such hard time installing this Driver

I have a OurLink RTK8192 Wireless Adapter and I've tried everything in the book but nothing seems to work and yes I've gone through the CD and there's no Install App. for Linux only for Windows though i have installed on there.

Give me A step-by-step copy/paste guide please

rk3066, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Edge wants to do a first-time install when called from other apps - Similar Threads - Edge wants install

2. Audio from other apps not working when I'm on a call

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio from other apps not working when I'm on a call: When I'm in a Teams meeting or discord vc, the audio from other apps - suppose I'm playing a YT video on edge - is completely muted. This has been happening only for a while, probably a few weeks... How can I fix it?...
  3. Audio from other apps not working when I'm on a call

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio from other apps not working when I'm on a call: When I'm in a Teams meeting or discord vc, the audio from other apps - suppose I'm playing a YT video on edge - is completely muted. This has been happening only for a while, probably a few weeks... How can I fix it?...
  4. Audio from other apps not working when I'm on a call

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSODs by "ntoskrnl.exe" and others; not the first time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs by "ntoskrnl.exe" and others; not the first time!: Hello,Around a year back I had a problem where I would get a daily BSOD sometimes 3 a day which could only be identified as "ntoskrnl.exe." I came here for answers and I was suggested to update my BIOS to another version, which did the job very well. I didn't have anything...
  6. BSODs by "ntoskrnl.exe" and others; not the first time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs by "ntoskrnl.exe" and others; not the first time!: Hello,Around a year back I had a problem where I would get a daily BSOD sometimes 3 a day which could only be identified as "ntoskrnl.exe." I came here for answers and I was suggested to update my BIOS to another version, which did the job very well. I didn't have anything...
  7. BSODs by "ntoskrnl.exe" and others; not the first time!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. windows first time install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows first time install: on a new board I need w10 is there a way to get it free I was going to install win 7 then upgrade but the keybord and mouse won't work for the install but work fine for the bio submitted by /u/yanceycat [link] [comments]...
  9. First time installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    First time installation: I am putting windows first time did i need product key or jst iso for installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/first-time-installation/2e96ae21-e303-4c08-a200-2bb785d17123
  10. Want to do video calls

in Windows 10 Customization
    Want to do video calls: My phone is connected to my surface. want to do calls. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-do-video-calls/e5cc17e0-eaed-4119-b990-284d91f8d96c