Windows 10: Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

Discus and support Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tjdickinson, May 30, 2019.

1. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc.

However, in Explorer, when I go to 'Add Columns', there are a number of columns that I can't find in the 'Details' window of the file properties. For example, there are columns for 'Episode number' and 'Season number' (useful for organising TV shows), but I can't figure out how to add these details to files.

Can anyone tell me how I can edit/add the following metadata to media files?

• #
    • Broadcast Date
    • Creators
    • Episode Name
    • Episode Number
    • Language
    • Season Number

Thank you for your help!

:)

tjdickinson, May 30, 2019

2. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

It seems like the list is generated from existing tags or other metadata. So, if you're getting 'junk' suggestions, it's likely that some other file has that 'junk' data. So you need to locate those files with bad metadata & delete/edit it to 'good' information.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, May 30, 2019
  3. pepanee Win User
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

I agree with the Eagle. If you want to mass edit metadata for MP3 files, then it is best to have it all laid out in front of you to edit... so you don't have to open the Properties window for each file. Even though this is a 3rd party program, it's a very useful and productive program to use if you do mass metadata editing.

Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files [​IMG]

pepanee, May 30, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

I agree - routinely using a dedicated tag editor is more straightforward.

However, you can restore some features to Windows - Properties, Details and the Details pane in File explorer using free File Metadata
    File Metadata - Home

E.g.

dalchina, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

1. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files - Similar Threads - Editing adding additional

2. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  3. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Editing JPG File Properties

Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  6. Editing JPG File Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  7. File properties and metadata

File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  8. Adding unlisted properties to files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding unlisted properties to files: Hello, I want to add specific properties to some audio files in my music folder. The option to add them to the folder itself exists (context menu of the column names), but I can't seem to find any way to add said properties to the files themselves. In my case, I want to add...
  9. Editing File Properties

Editing File Properties: I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field and hit apply it doesn't save the new changes, and also deletes everything that was already there. This is really...
  10. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file: Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.) To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties >...