Windows 10: Editing File Icon and Type Description

Discus and support Editing File Icon and Type Description in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Julian Ting, May 13, 2019.

1. Editing File Icon and Type Description

This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer?

For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a description under the "Type" column, such as "File folder" for a directory and "Text Document" for a .txt file. As an example, I have associated .pdf files with Google Chrome as the default program for opening it. They have the Chrome logo as the icon and "Chrome HTML Document" under the "Type" column, which is a little misleading. How would I change the icon to, say, a document icon from C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll, and the type description to something more sensible like "PDF Document"?

I have tried to edit the registry directly via the Registry Editor that comes with Windows, editing the "(default)" entries of the relevant file types in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts, then restarting explorer.exe each time I make a change. However, nothing seems to have changed when I opened File Explorer again. Searching through past questions on similar issues did not give me any solutions either.

Thanks.

Note that this is not a question on:

• changing or displaying file extension;
    • changing default programs; nor
    • changing the column layout in File Explorer.

System information:

• Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    • Administrator account

:)

Julian Ting, May 13, 2019
  2. PCkeys Win User

Edit Services "Description" field

As title suggests, I'm wondering how to edit the description of services that appear in "services.msc"... I have several programs that run as services that I know and use, but have no descriptions at all.

Would be nice to be able to see these and immediately recognize them when viewing list of running services.

Cheers

PCkeys, May 13, 2019
  3. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

Hello everyone

I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web Document", but I would like to change the File Type for HTML files to "HTML file" and for HTM files to "HTM file".

In Windows 7 I used a utility called Default Programs Editor, but that utility doesn't quite work on Windows 10 anymore. I have some file types here that do not show up in the list of registered file types, which I want to change. For example, I have WSXZ files which are opened by a program called SDL, and the "File Type" according to Windows 10 is "SDL WSXZ Document", but I would like to change that to "WSXZ Forward Package File".

How can I do this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Thanks
    Samuel

ugcheleuce, May 13, 2019
  4. Editing File Icon and Type Description

Custom File Icons?

I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing?

If so, then ideally I'd like to extract the icon from the exe, make three slightly different versions, and make these display (at all scales) for the three main file types. Any suggestions for tools to do this? I have Photoshop CS5.

nigelmercier, May 13, 2019
Thema:

Editing File Icon and Type Description

1. Editing File Icon and Type Description - Similar Threads - Editing File Icon

2. How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file: Hello,I am trying to have some files by grouped by description. Im using win11. I go to properties for the file>details tab>description. I enter my description and it says "File Access Denied" and "You'll need to provide administrator permissions to apply properties to this...
  3. How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Edit Description under Details tab in Properties for a file: Hello,I am trying to have some files by grouped by description. Im using win11. I go to properties for the file>details tab>description. I enter my description and it says "File Access Denied" and "You'll need to provide administrator permissions to apply properties to this...
  4. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  5. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  6. icon description

in Windows 10 Customization
    icon description: my desktop icons no longer have a description. When I go onto internet explorer I see my icons but no descriptions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-description/54993aa5-252e-41ae-a733-39b15ad789e7
  7. Editing a App Company, Version, Description

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing a App Company, Version, Description: Can someone tell me how to edit an app? I tired to do it but it doesn't work. [ATTACH] Derp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/editing-a-app-company-version-description/b2fbe925-df85-41c3-82b0-d377a5c3d823
  8. Setting File type descriptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File type descriptions: Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed. I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:...
  9. Edit Services "Description" field

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Edit Services "Description" field: As title suggests, I'm wondering how to edit the description of services that appear in "services.msc"... I have several programs that run as services that I know and use, but have no descriptions at all. Would be nice to be able to see these and immediately recognize...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...