Windows 10: Editing File Properties

Discus and support Editing File Properties in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dalicialafleur, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:58 AM.

1. dalicialafleur Win User

Editing File Properties

I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field and hit apply it doesn't save the new changes, and also deletes everything that was already there. This is really frustrating!! I only want to add to whats already there but it doesn't seem to let me. I don't remember this ever happening before. What is up here??

:)

dalicialafleur, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:58 AM
  2. Ankit Rajput Win User

COM Surrogate; Cannot Edit Files Properties

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with editing properties on File Explorer. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check in safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to
    identify which Windows mode you're using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.
    • Click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
    • If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.
    • Tap or click Startup Settings.
    • Tap or click Restart.
    • On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.
    • Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.
    If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow method 2.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions
    in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

*Steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:03 AM
  3. Marvelos Reg Win User
    Win 10 batch edit mp3 properties erases data

Hi,

Windows 10 supports changing MP3 information. This issue occurs if the there are settings that need to be configured. To resolve your concern, follow the steps below:

• First, right-click the MP3 file which you want to edit.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click on Details tab.
    • Edit the file information of whichever you want.
    • Lastly, click on Apply, then Ok.
    Disclaimer: Try this in a single file first, then, check if it works.

If the issue still persists, we suggest the following solutions:

• Temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps.
    Disclaimer: Enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. Your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks specially if you're connected to the Internet

• Boot the computer in safe mode and check if this helps to edit the mp3 details. Refer to this
      link on how to
      Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10.

Let us know the status of the issue in this regards. Your reply is important to assist you better.

Marvelos Reg, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:03 AM
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Editing File Properties

Can No Longer Update File Properties With Creator's Update

If taking ownership of the whole drive didn't help, then we suggest setting full access to the file. Follow these steps:

• Open the location of the files.
    • Right-click on the folder/files which you are trying to edit.
    • Click on the Security tab.
    • Select the user account and click on Edit button.
    • Mark check on Full control check box.
    • Click on Apply and then OK button.

Have you also tried copying the files to your computer/desktop and then editing the files from there? Please do so to isolate the issue further.

Update us how it went.

Thema:

Editing File Properties

1. Editing File Properties - Similar Threads - Editing File Properties

2. File Explorer deleting all properties when trying to edit 1 attribute.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer deleting all properties when trying to edit 1 attribute.: how do I stop file explorer from deleting all of the properties ID when editing or adding another attribute to a mp3 file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-deleting-all-properties-when-trying/5f72a387-5635-4aa0-b65a-6daaab3fba95"
  3. Cannot open and edit IPv4 Properties in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot open and edit IPv4 Properties in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 let users change the IP address of PCs network adapter so they can connect to the internet or the network they belong to, in case there is no automatic connection for that PC. Many a time access to [...] This post Cannot open and edit IPv4 Properties in...
  4. File properties not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File properties not working: OK, so I open up "file properties" and I want to change the program that opens a particular file type when I double click it. Windows 10 won't let me do this. None of the buttons work - the "Change" or the "advanced". I can change tabs, but I cannot change the default...
  5. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?: I am able to edit Properties of a .jpeg file while in File Explorer. I right click on a .jpeg file and am able to type information into some of the fields in the Details tab. When I try to do the same thing to a .mts video file, I can't get a cursor in any of the fields...
  6. File properties comments deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    File properties comments deleted: In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I had added comments to a number of files in the Comments Tags of properties. All these comments have disappeared in Windows 10. Other info I added in other tags has remained. 52020
  7. Edit .ISO file

in Windows 10 Support
    Edit .ISO file: How do you edit and save an .ISO file? 45258
  8. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file: Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.) To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties >...
  9. File explorer view file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view file/folder properties: So I want all folders and files to view as "large icons"(I'm doing all of this in File Explorer) I went to C: drive, and clicked on large icons so folders and files display as such >Folder options>click on the view tab> then Apply to Folders [img] Folders and files...
  10. Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files: I run windows 10 and use Windows Media Player to listen to my music. Recently I noticed that i was getting a lot of "unknown (artist, genre, album, ect.)". Usually kept the song names as the file name. In Media Player I can edit the info so that it shows properly in the...