Windows 10: Editing file properties

Discus and support Editing file properties in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alancsears, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Editing file properties

Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any that comes near to being as flexible and useful as the one I had.

:)

alancsears, Mar 6, 2022

2. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc.

However, in Explorer, when I go to 'Add Columns', there are a number of columns that I can't find in the 'Details' window of the file properties. For example, there are columns for 'Episode number' and 'Season number' (useful for organising TV shows), but I can't figure out how to add these details to files.

Can anyone tell me how I can edit/add the following metadata to media files?

• #
    • Broadcast Date
    • Creators
    • Episode Name
    • Episode Number
    • Language
    • Season Number

Thank you for your help!

tjdickinson, Mar 6, 2022
  3. COM Surrogate; Cannot Edit Files Properties

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with editing properties on File Explorer. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check in safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to
    identify which Windows mode you're using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.
    • Click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    • Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.
    • If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.
    • Tap or click Startup Settings.
    • Tap or click Restart.
    • On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.
    • Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.
    If the issue doesn’t occur in safe mode, follow method 2.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The sfc/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. It is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions
    in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

*Steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps.

Please get back to us with an update on the issue, we will be happy to help.

Ankit Rajput, Mar 6, 2022
  4. Editing file properties

MP3 file property details

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are looking for an option to edit the Metadata of the mp3 files. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Were you able to make the changes in metadata with other details?
    Please provide a screenshot, when you are trying to edit the metadata.
    Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
    2. Browse the location of the songs you want to edit.
    3. Right-click a song, and select
      Properties. Click the Details tab.
    4. Everything you see in the "Details" tab is part of the metadata information, and you can quickly edit most of it by clicking the value field next to the property. Some of the information that you can update
      includes song title (not the file name), album name, artist, genre, publisher, mood, and much more.
    5. After updating the metadata information, click the
      Apply button.
    6. Click the Ok button.

However, you can also check in Microsoft Store, Apps for MP3 metadata editors and use the one that is suitable for you.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 6, 2022
Thema:

Editing file properties

1. Editing file properties - Similar Threads - Editing file properties

2. Cannot edit file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot edit file properties: I am unable to edit the file properties of MP3 files that I have downloaded off the internet. I used to be able to edit them to my heart's content, adding the song's title and artists to help organize them better, but now whenever I download them, the vast majority of them I...
  3. Cannot edit file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot edit file properties: I am unable to edit the file properties of MP3 files that I have downloaded off the internet. I used to be able to edit them to my heart's content, adding the song's title and artists to help organize them better, but now whenever I download them, the vast majority of them I...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  5. Editing file properties

Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  6. Editing JPG File Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  7. Editing JPG File Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  8. Editing JPG File Properties

9. Editing Properties of a file 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing Properties of a file 20H2: I've gone to details in Properties / Remove Properties and personal information...But nothing changes...even in the copy of the file. Right now I am working with audio files. Help! 173460
  10. Editing File Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing File Properties: I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field and hit apply it doesn't save the new changes, and also deletes everything that was already there. This is really...