Windows 10: editing metadata for file type without file ending

Discus and support editing metadata for file type without file ending in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft Experts, we have files without a type file ending like .txt or .jpg and use Windows 10 Pro. Its just the file name. When want to edit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by metalray_, Aug 19, 2019.

1. metalray_ Win User

editing metadata for file type without file ending

Dear Microsoft Experts,

we have files without a type file ending like .txt or .jpg and use Windows 10 Pro.
    Its just the file name. When want to edit the metadata (right click - properties)
    we have no success, it just cant be edited.
    However, my memory tell me, this worked with Windows XP e.g. editing metadata for files of type "File".
    Is my observation correct?

:)

metalray_, Aug 19, 2019

2. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

It seems like the list is generated from existing tags or other metadata. So, if you're getting 'junk' suggestions, it's likely that some other file has that 'junk' data. So you need to locate those files with bad metadata & delete/edit it to 'good' information.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Aug 19, 2019
  3. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

I cannot find a way to delete/edit the autocomplete list displayed when editing the metadata on pictures. I get a list of previous entries (some of which are just plain junk) and would like to delete those as suggestions. I tried the steps with the following
    link and did not have any success. I do not have a AUTOCOMPLETE listing under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer".

The locked thread for a similar question under Windows Vista:

Edit autocomplete drop-down list for genre metadata in music files

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Z. Patton, Aug 19, 2019
  4. editing metadata for file type without file ending

Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc.

However, in Explorer, when I go to 'Add Columns', there are a number of columns that I can't find in the 'Details' window of the file properties. For example, there are columns for 'Episode number' and 'Season number' (useful for organising TV shows), but I can't figure out how to add these details to files.

Can anyone tell me how I can edit/add the following metadata to media files?

• #
    • Broadcast Date
    • Creators
    • Episode Name
    • Episode Number
    • Language
    • Season Number

Thank you for your help!

tjdickinson, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

editing metadata for file type without file ending

1. editing metadata for file type without file ending - Similar Threads - editing metadata file

2. File properties and metadata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  3. Edit Folder Metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit Folder Metadata: Hi, How do I edit folder metadata in Windows 10? There are a lot of metadata columns that could be used to display valuable information in windows explorer about a folder (author, title, genre, tags, comments, etc...). How do I edit that information? submitted by...
  4. Image File Metadata

Image File Metadata: In the past, whenever I added metadata tags, titles or notes to my photo files, the megabytes would increase by just a few tenths, which makes sense. Example: 8.5 MB to 8.8 MB. Now, the megabytes are significantly disappearing as soon as I add the data. Example: the photo...
  5. Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files: I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files. It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on...
  6. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files: I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc. However, in...
  7. Editing File Icon and Type Description

Editing File Icon and Type Description: This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer? For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a...
  8. Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files: I cannot find a way to delete/edit the autocomplete list displayed when editing the metadata on pictures. I get a list of previous entries (some of which are just plain junk) and would like to delete those as suggestions. I tried the steps with the following link and did not...
  9. How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?: When viewing by details, you can choose to add various columns of metadata to the folder to sort files by, such as album or genre. How do you edit any of this data, for any file type? Right now my TV shows are sorted by season on my PC, but in different folders. What I...
  10. Two problems with editing metadata of music files

in Windows 10 Support
    Two problems with editing metadata of music files: Good day all, I've got 2 problems about editing metadata of music files and I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could help me with this. 1. I know that you can't tag and edit WAV files' metadata but it seems that it's possible to edit their music information through...