Windows 10: Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files...

Discus and support Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've reinstalled Windows 10 Pro last week due to issues that I discovered were unrelated to the system itself, but now, new ones have come up. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gian800, Feb 28, 2021.

1. gian800 Win User

Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files...

I've reinstalled Windows 10 Pro last week due to issues that I discovered were unrelated to the system itself, but now, new ones have come up.
    When I edit the tags of a media file, Windows Explorer's RAM usage raises exponentially. By using Process Hacker, I was able to see that ntdll.dll!ldraccessresource is what's taking up all that RAM and by looking at the disk section, it shows explorer.exe loading basically all the media files in my system.
    I've let it look through them for around 17 hours, and it had stopped, but explorer.exe was still taking 14GBs of RAM. After having let it finish, I thought it wouldn't do it again, but I was wrong. Editing a tag always causes it to start looking through my files again.

I've ran an antivirus scan Bitdefender and it came up empty. I've also looked for similar issues but found no solution to mine.

:)

gian800, Feb 28, 2021
  2. jld4444 Win User

Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files.

It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on audio files so that my 14,000+ audio files organize correctly for playlists, etc., and I like proper metadata on video files as good practice.

Audio files are largely .mp3, and video files are either .mp4 or .wmv.

I have tried Properties > Details on individual files in File Explorer and several tag/metadata editors that have worked great for years. Some tag editors will show the metadata/tags it allegedly saved, but when I go back to File Explorer
    they're not there. I have also ensured that the same metadata/tag categories I edited in tag editors display in File Explorer.

I've also tried some suggestions from forums:

• Making sure proper permissions are granted
    • Ensuring I'm signed in to Microsoft
    • Copying a file and trying to edit the copy's metadata/tags
    • Copying the files to new and existing other folders and trying to edit
    • Ensuring the files are not read-only

Any ideas on what could have made the metadata/tags uneditable all of a sudden, and more importantly how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

jld4444, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files... [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files...

Edit ID tags in File Explorer

Today I find that I can no longer Edit ID Tags in File Explorer. My music files are recorded as FLAC files. The drop-down menu in File Explorer no longer has the Edit option. Also, it is not possible to Edit the ID Tags in Properties. Can anyone help?

StefanKurt, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files...

1. Editing tags of media files images videos and audios makes Explorer look through all files... - Similar Threads - Editing tags media

2. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  3. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  4. File Explorer Tagging Editing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Tagging Editing: How to edit the rating on MP4 video files?If you have an answer, please let me know. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tagging-editing/411ec45f-09fb-4840-b0fb-5adf8fd02730
  5. File Explorer Tagging Editing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Tagging Editing: How to edit the rating on MP4 video files?If you have an answer, please let me know. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tagging-editing/411ec45f-09fb-4840-b0fb-5adf8fd02730
  6. Editing/adding an MP4 image tag for the preview pane in Win 10 file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing/adding an MP4 image tag for the preview pane in Win 10 file explorer: I googled:Edit preview tag images for mp4 files in Win10I've discovered I can store zillions of movies on a few 512 flash drives to watch from anywhere and want to add preview images to quickly find the movie I want.Double click to enlarge. There are no tags shown for each...
  7. Tags in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tags in File Explorer: I rely greatly on Autofill when adding tags to images. To not do so would require using my memory resulting in many, slightly different tags for the same "topic". for example:- John Searwood, John Sherwood , John Sharwood, John J Sherwood and so forth. Some while ago the...
  8. Edit ID tags in File Explorer

Edit ID tags in File Explorer: Today I find that I can no longer Edit ID Tags in File Explorer. My music files are recorded as FLAC files. The drop-down menu in File Explorer no longer has the Edit option. Also, it is not possible to Edit the ID Tags in Properties. Can anyone help?...
  9. Tags in the windows explorer: tagging all types of files and folders

Tags in the windows explorer: tagging all types of files and folders: Does anybody know if microsoft has any plans on supporting tags for every type of file and folder? I found some other tools like tabbles (https://tabbles.net) and 'Tagging for windows' (https://tagging.connectpaste.com) which are good to work with, but I would like it to be...
  10. Audio File Tags

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio File Tags: My last update was on 3/22/2019, it updated to Windows 10, version 1809 amd64 2019-03. Since then the Title, Album Artist, and Contributing Artist fields in the Audio File tags that I'm creating are being truncated to about 20 characters or so. What's going on and how do I...