Windows 10: Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license

Discus and support Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. Now that I've allowed the upgrade to Win10, I want to be prepared in case I ever build a new PC which means creating a Microsoft account in which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dortmunder, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license

Hi. Now that I've allowed the upgrade to Win10, I want to be prepared in case I ever build a new PC which means creating a Microsoft account in which to link my Win10 digital license. I've created the MSA but, before I do any linking, I'd like to know if it will have any effect on my family. I'm assuming that they can continue to use their existing User Account and password and won't be prompted to create their own MSA's?

Thank you.

:)

dortmunder, Apr 15, 2017

2. Family Safety, child can remove itself from family

Is there a way to disable a child from removing
    itself from the family?

I am testing the child settings for our family. I logged in as a child account. From there I went to manage family settings online. I noticed a link that would remove me (the child account) from the family. Wouldn't that also effectively disable the child
    settings we put in place?

This is kind of a serious problem. That would mean creating a child account is useless when the child removes itself from the family.

Respectfully,

Byron

byrton1990, Apr 15, 2017
  3. smacfe Win User
    Windows 10 Problems

I created a new local user account and a family member account and signed in on both, had no effect.

smacfe, Apr 15, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license

You cannot transfer the license to another PC you will need a new one,
    (but you can use the product key if it's a retail one)

roy111, Apr 15, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    It will have no effect on their accounts.

They will be prompted to create MSA if they for example sign into a store app but this is unaffected by what you do with your account. It is just what Windows does.

You certainly can transfer an upgraded licence, I have.

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

6. roy111 Win User
    Those links talk about hardware changes in an already licensed PC not a brand new PC,
    anyway I am courios too to understand better...

roy111, Apr 15, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    This is not correct. Since AU version, you can transfer digital licence to a new deive using Activation Troubleshooter.

cereberus, Apr 15, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

It is the same. Significant hardware changes are seen as new PC.

I moved an license I got from Insider Preview (which never had underlying qualifying Windows install and so no key except a generic one) to a new PC. It worked fine.

I think @cereberus did some testing on the number of times you can move it before it stops working (3 perhaps) but I can't find the thread so I could be wrong.

9. cereberus Win User
    Yeah 3 times - I always recommend activating with a key if you can before using Troubleshooter for this reason.

cereberus, Apr 15, 2017
  10. roy111 Win User
    So to better understand, if I buy a new PC with OEM Win 10 license I can transfer the license
    to, say, a custom build pc with no win license and it's a legit move to do

do I get it right?

thanks, roy.

roy111, Apr 15, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    With Win7 and earlier the OEM version of Windows stayed with the computer. The Retail version could be installed on a Replacement computer, at least once, but could not be used on 2 computers at the same time. Most of my computers are OEM and have been Upgraded from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 to Win10 [took advantage of the free offer] and haven't had a problems but I haven't yet needed to do a clean install where a Product Key was required. I do have 2 Customs but again they were Upgraded to Win10 from Win7 w/SP1.

Berton, Apr 15, 2017
  12. Thanks for the info, lx07.

dortmunder, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license - Similar Threads - Effect family create

2. Digital License linked to your Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License linked to your Microsoft account: A friend of mine wanted me to format her laptop and reinstall windows. Her version of windows is not activated. So I am planning to use my micosoft account and it is linked to my windows license. But the problem is that I don't want my microsoft account to be on her computer...
  3. Volume license linked with my microsoft account

Volume license linked with my microsoft account: Hi Team,I purchased windows 10 license from some website.They sell this key in half price, after that I login in my microsoft account then this key bind with my microsoft account.After that I get to know this is volume key.So I have below questions.If this volume key is...
  4. Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.

Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.: I have been resistant to moving to Microsoft accounts for years because I am the most reliable at managing my own household. Now that I have had to deal with hardware upgrades near failures on systems that received digital upgrades to windows 10 from previous versions and...
  5. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  6. Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License

Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License: Hi there. I am due to replace my motherboard on my laptop and I want to prepare accordingly. Advice on from Microsoft suggests that I link my Microsoft Account to my Digital License but I am unable to do so. I currently use a local account. I have been into "Settings ->...
  7. Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account: I have an almost 8 Year old laptop that originally didn't come with an OS. So, I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and purchased a digital license seperately. The 3rd Gen i3 Processor still somewhat holds up and can do all the basic tasks (including playing videos in 4K without...
  8. Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account

Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account: I've read conflicting information regarding this matter. Basically I'm thinking about taking the HDD of my laptop behind the barn and putting it down, slip an SSD on it's place and make a clean install. Thing is, I never linked a Microsoft Account to the installation, and I...
  9. Windows License linked to my Microsoft account

Windows License linked to my Microsoft account: Hello. Im in the process of rebuilding a new PC. Only 1 thing was gonna be brought forward and it was my 1 TB seagate drive and well .. my dog chewed and slobbered on it for 8 hours while i was at work and its literally unusable i lost everything. Im a novice in this world...
  10. Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license: I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 . I currently sign into PC with a microsoft account. Motherboard on PC may be giving up on me so I wish to replace it. I have done a bit of research and it...