Windows 10: Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10?

Discus and support Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I was just wondering what were the effects of changing the BIOS time on Windows 10? I've heard it can do some damage to files and programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by centrale, Nov 6, 2016.

1. centrale Win User

Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10?

Hello! I was just wondering what were the effects of changing the BIOS time on Windows 10? I've heard it can do some damage to files and programs (specifically antiviruses, I've heard those can be broken). What are such effects and are they reversible by putting the BIOS time back to the proper time? I only intend to change the time by a couple of hours or so.

:)

centrale, Nov 6, 2016

2. System time always drops back 2 hours

Hi,

Today (15th Aug), I booted my T420 into Windows 10 but before doing so I checked the BIOS time. The BIOS time had again fallen back exactly 2 hours. Without making any change to the BIOS I re-booted to bring up Windows 10. Its system time was 2 hours behind.

My laptop is multi-OS (Linux/Windows) using Grub2 as the boot manager. Grub2 had shown the correct local time.

I selected new start under Windows 10 without making time changes and re-booted. The BIOS time still showed 2 hours behind.

I restarted again from within the BIOS by selecting 'discard changes' (therefore not by powering of then on) and booted into Linux (default under Grub2 for my machine). Linux showed the correct local time.

I chose re-start under Linux and checked BIOS time and it was still left at 2 hours behind. I presume Linux therefore does not alter the BIOS time.

If I may answer here to Lihitha's reply about BIOS settings:

My ThinkPad T420 BIOS is UEFI BIOS 83ET78WW (1.48) of date 2016-01-21 and which I had updated just 5 days ago. This update has no effect on the time changing problem.

The BIOS Date-Time settings has its 'own tab' in the BIOS settings and offers adjustment to time and date only. No other options or features appear available with anything to do with time settings.

From my experience with Windows and Linux, the former also sets the BIOS time and date when timer settings under Windows are made and under Linux perhaps no changes to the BIOS time and date settings are made.

Please consider that this strange time-change behaviour has occurred with three entirely different hardware platforms: a 'hybrid' (self-built desktop running Windows Home XP; a Dell Inspiron laptop running German Windows XP and an IBM ThinkPad T420 laptop
    running German Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7). All had an entirely different BIOS.

In further reply to Meghana's suggestion:

Now that it is established that the BIOS update has made no effect I can now set the Windows time-setting to 'manual' as requested. Tie will then be checked again but in some days time.

(PS. I am assuming 'manual' means disable (uncheck) the 'sync with time-server' box?)

I will report on the 'manual test' in a few days time!

I am astonished that having had the machine of for a few days and before booting the OS the BIOS time when checked shows 2 hours back - how??? Have all three entirely different platforms had the 'same' fault across the three different BIOSs??? Crazy!!

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Peter

Peter&Gabi, Nov 6, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Activation issue-Remote Access required to resolve?

Bios updates have no effect on activation. Changing the motherboard hardware will though. Are you sure Windows 7 was activated ok before the upgrade to Windows 10.

neilpzz, Nov 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I've had to do it before when on deployment and not connected to the internet for weeks at a time to keep some of my games running. When I did finally connect to the internet I forgot to change the time to the current date/time and all I experienced was a lot of webpage errors until I figured out I needed to update the date/time.

I don't run third party anti-anything programs though.

NavyLCDR, Nov 6, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    If you have the incorrect time, Windows Update and most other Microsoft software will not run. Several other web pages will not run. Programs like AV will not update and may also not run.
    As stated, If you are not on the Internet it should not affect the computer too much. Resetting the proper Time and Time Zone alleviates all these problems.

spunk, Nov 6, 2016
  6. centrale Win User
    So if I were to use the internet with incorrect time some things will not load, however resetting to the correct time will solve this (and any other problems)?

centrale, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Effects changing BIOS

2. VRAM changed in BIOS but not in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VRAM changed in BIOS but not in windows 10: Hello,I entered my BIOS to change my VRAM from 128MB to 256MB, i did and saved and rebooted.On reboot after checking the properties it still shows 128Mb.How to i fix this?...
  3. VRAM changed in BIOS but not in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VRAM changed in BIOS but not in windows 10: Hello,I entered my BIOS to change my VRAM from 128MB to 256MB, i did and saved and rebooted.On reboot after checking the properties it still shows 128Mb.How to i fix this?...
  4. VRAM changed in BIOS but not in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows license effected by changing the date

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license effected by changing the date: Hello, i got a few question.1: Does my windows license product key remain valid if i change my computer's date?i changed the date in the settings, and when i set it to "set date automatically" it showed me a message saying my license will expire soon.2: How long does the...
  6. Windows license effected by changing the date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows license effected by changing the date: Hello, i got a few question.1: Does my windows license product key remain valid if i change my computer's date?i changed the date in the settings, and when i set it to "set date automatically" it showed me a message saying my license will expire soon.2: How long does the...
  7. Windows license effected by changing the date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows BIOS Time Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows BIOS Time Issue: Hello everyone, Recently I upgraded my computer with a M.2 SSD. Windows was reinstalled again on the SSD. The Windows BIOS time is higher than with when I was using the HDD. Using the SSD is much faster without a Windows password. But once I have setup a password for...
  9. Hardware change effects on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hardware change effects on Windows 10: Hi all, I am looking to replace my motherboard and CPU soon and I have heard that changing hardware, particularly the motherboard, can affect your windows installation. I started with Windows XP years ago and brought a windows XP to Windows 8.1 upgrade CD and then later...
  10. Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 Visual effects are the visual bells and whistles for the appearance of Windows for your account. These visual bells and whistles can affect the performance of...