Windows 10: EFI partition missing

Discus and support EFI partition missing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SalvatoreCS, Jan 2, 2019.

1. EFI partition missing

I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive.

After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this message "default boot device missing, select a new boot device" but in the list there isn't any any element to choose. I booted from USB and checked with DISKPART from Prompt and there isn't any EFI partition in the SSD. I even tried with bootrec but it says "access denied" and the boot recovery tool isn't working either. My laptop can't boot and I can only use prompt. Can anybody help me?

:)

SalvatoreCS, Jan 2, 2019
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile EFI partition missing :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Suvrat18 Win User
    Blank EFI Partition

I have an ASUS R558UR.

I had windows 10 installed on my laptop and I decided to again have a clean install of windows 10. I booted from USB and cleaned windows partition i.e. C drive and also cleaned EFI partition. I reformatted Drive and it had also created EFI partition of 100
    MB. I installed windows on laptop and setted that up. After installing windows my laptop it started taking a long time to boot about 90 seconds but earlier it took only 7-10 seconds. After analysing everything I found that my EFI partition is blank.

Please suggest me how to write back EFI partition so as to reduce boot times.

Thanks in Advace.

Suvrat18, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Saltgrass Win User

EFI partition missing

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

I would probably have booted to a Windows install or recovery media to create the

EFI system partition by using Diskpart and the create par efi command with any modifiers necessary to make it fit in the correct location.

I know Linux can use a Microsoft EFI partition but I do know if Windows can use a Linux version.

Yes, the bcd listing which shows the boot manager and OS loader.

It may have been easier to use a third party partition manager to change the size of the EFI partition.

If you might need it, here are the details of an EFI partition from Diskpart.

Partition 2

Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b

Hidden : Yes

Required: No

Attrib : 0X8000000000000000

Offset in Bytes: 524288000

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

* Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 99 MB Healthy System

Saltgrass, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

EFI partition missing

1. EFI partition missing - Similar Threads - EFI partition missing

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two EFI partitions: I have SSD and HDDwindows is installed in SSDthere are Two EFI partitions totallyCan I delete the EFI partition in HDD Pls tell me what will happen if its deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-efi-partitions/38ad9567-f3aa-49b0-909a-89d2aea81efe
  6. Windows EFI and Recovery Partition MISSING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows EFI and Recovery Partition MISSING: Today I decided to clean install Windows 10 on my new SSD and format the old one.I used the pen-drive installer to install windows 10 on my SSD but when I got to Disk Management to format my old HDD.I see that my SSD does not have a recovery partition OR a EFI PartitionI...
  7. Location of EFI partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location of EFI partition: This may be posted in the wrong area and can be moved if necessary.The question is: Does it matter where the EFI partition is located on your System Drive?When you look at new UEFI install of Windows on a GPT disk, the EFI partition is usually shown as the first on the...
  8. Windows 10 EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 EFI partition missing: I have an ASUS GL502VS which I previously had dual boot with Ubuntu. Until the last Windows update it was working fine. I tried installing the latest Windows 10 update I guess 1909 yesterday. At first it worked fine but after a restart I realized that it isn't working...
  9. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  10. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. attrib c: boot bcd h r s file not found