Windows 10: EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?

Discus and support EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I decided to dedicate my Saturday evening off to somehow moving the EFI/Recovery/MSR partitions from my original SSD(Windows 8.1)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rowlands111, Oct 17, 2015.

1. EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?

Hello everyone,

I decided to dedicate my Saturday evening off to somehow moving the EFI/Recovery/MSR partitions from my original SSD(Windows 8.1) to my new SSD (Windows 10) - when proceeding with dual booting Windows 10 I had left my old SSD attached, and I require the flexibility of being able to remove the new SSD and thus require the system partitions to be present on it.

Anyway, I ended up using Macrium to system image the system partitions from SSD 1 - then unallocated ~1GB space from SSD 2, and simply restored the three partitions via Macrium to the unallocated space.

It worked, I can boot etc. and the SSDs are not reliant on one another.

Is this partition order OK in terms of performance and best practice? (Nothing 'best practice' about using Macrium to transfer system partitions, I know)

EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter? [​IMG]

Thank you

EDIT* I now dual boot via BIOS/UEFI - one listing is Windows Boot Manager, the other is UEFI:blahblah

:)

rowlands111, Oct 17, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

How can a MRP (Microsoft Reserved Partition) be formatted?

If you have wiped C, in order to reinstall you will need to wipe all the critical partitions, which the MSR along with Recovery, EFI and OS are members.

And a System Image does take care of the MSR partition.

Saltgrass, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Windows Reset: does it affect EFI partition?

Windows installer may overwrite GRUB. You can install GRUB to Linux partition then add it to a Windows Boot Menu using EasyBCD. Expert help for all scenarios is available in Neosmart EasyBCD forums.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 17, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?

Hi,

Although Windows may complain during it's installation when it sees itself forced to mess up the partition order, in practice I've never encountered any problem with it.

Note that Macrium Reflect allows you to fix that quite easily should you want to. Just make a backup of all partitions which are system related and restore the partitions in the correct order by dragging them one by one from the backup image to te destination disk in Macrium Reflect.

The only partition that may be critical is the MSR partition which is created when a MBR or RAW disk is converted from MBR to GPT. That one isn't visible is MS Disk Management but Macrium Reflect does show it IIRC.
    I've never actually moved that one about so don't take my word for it.

In a multi-boot EFI system there would only be one EFI system partition which contains the BCD stores that allow you to launch the OS of your choice. This regardless whether a single HD is used or several ones.

But, since you're using the bootmenu from the EFI bios this doesn't really apply. As far as Windows is concerns you're running just a single system.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 17, 2015
  5. Thanks very much for that *Smile

Definitely needed a second opinion from someone with experience.

Interesting you mention in a multi-boot EFI system there is only one EFI partition - honestly that's the conclusion I came too, and the only other alternative was to use the BIOS to select the bootable drive.
    I understand what you mean regarding Windows and single system - as when an OS is booted from the BIOS; the drive that is booted is partitioned only with one OS.

Many thanks for your insight.

rowlands111, Oct 17, 2015
  6. I can already see my next night off being occupied with this now... darn, ignorance was so bliss!
    Just kidding, I'll stick with what was said in that there are no issues with the particular order.

rowlands111, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter?

1. EFI Partition Order - Does it Matter? - Similar Threads - EFI Partition Order

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple EFI Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple EFI Partitions: Checked computer management and found 2 EFI partitions and also checked with a partition manager which displays 3 EFI partitions.Why so many?How do I know which one is being used?James...
  6. Two EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two EFI partitions: I have SSD and HDDwindows is installed in SSDthere are Two EFI partitions totallyCan I delete the EFI partition in HDD Pls tell me what will happen if its deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-efi-partitions/38ad9567-f3aa-49b0-909a-89d2aea81efe
  7. Location of EFI partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location of EFI partition: This may be posted in the wrong area and can be moved if necessary.The question is: Does it matter where the EFI partition is located on your System Drive?When you look at new UEFI install of Windows on a GPT disk, the EFI partition is usually shown as the first on the...
  8. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uefi partition order

2. gpt partition order matters

3. does the order of the partitions of a windows 10 installation matter?

4. 500 mb efi partition order,
  5. does iot matter what partition you install windows onto,
  6. does partition order matter windows 10