Windows 10: EFI System Partition Curiousity

Discus and support EFI System Partition Curiousity in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm preparing to upgrade a laptop from HDD to SSD. It had a second Recovery Partition in the beginning of the disk, which we know can be deleted from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TV2, Dec 6, 2020.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

EFI System Partition Curiousity

I'm preparing to upgrade a laptop from HDD to SSD. It had a second Recovery Partition in the beginning of the disk, which we know can be deleted from v2004 on.
    Because I plan to transfer everything by Disk Image restore I thought I would clean up the disk beforehand and delete the extra Recovery Partition. While I was at it I figured I could also move everything remaining to the left to use up the unallocated space, so I did the job using MiniTool Partition Wizard 9.1 on CD.

Deleting the partition was normal, but when I went to move the EFI System Partition I saw that the size - instead of being the 100MB shown in Disk Management - was showing up as 234MB in PW before doing anything. Moving the slider to the left just made it bigger, of course.
    Since this was odd, and in the end not really an important or useful task, I aborted and left it as is- just deleted the extra Recovery Partition. It will all be moot when I switch out the HDD.

But now I am curious: why would Partition Wizard be showing this 100MB partition as 234MB?
    Any ideas?

The disk before doing anything:

EFI System Partition Curiousity [​IMG]

:)

2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile EFI System Partition Curiousity :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Dec 6, 2020
  3. graye Win User
    EFI System Partition

So, an EFI system partition is perfectly normal on a Windows 10 disk (I assumed you've done an internet search and discovered that this partition is for booting your system).

Are you trying to backup the contents of this partition?.... if so, what software are you using?

graye, Dec 6, 2020
  4. EFI System Partition Curiousity

EFI system partition

Just had the latest windows 10 system update and there's an EFI system partition of 260 MB automatically coming to the picture what to do?

AbhishekAnand1, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

EFI System Partition Curiousity

1. EFI System Partition Curiousity - Similar Threads - EFI System Partition

2. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  3. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  4. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  5. System, EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    System, EFI System Partition: Two questions please -1] I had installed UBUNTU on my desktop PC, operating with Windows 10 PRO version 21H1; OS Build 19043.1202, and later removed the UBUNTU software. UBUNTU was installed on a separate SSD i.e., not on the SSD where the Windows OS is installed.The UBUNTU...
  6. Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition: Hello,I've just installed Windows 10 on my new SSD and formatted the HDD that had Windows 10 on it before. I just realized in Disk Management that the old HDD has the Recovery and EFI System Partitions. How would I go about adding those to the SSD instead?Thanks....
  7. EFI System Partition in error

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI System Partition in error: I am running 21376.1 Looking around in Manage Disks and Volumes I found the EFI partition says full repair needed. Is this a problem? System runs fine and boots ok. If it should be fixed how do I fix it. ieEFI Partition.pdf 178947
  8. About Healthy EFI partition system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Healthy EFI partition system: Hello I want know about healthy EFI partition system its important or not for windows 10, what is uses ?because i want remove this partition.Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-healthy-efi-partition-system/241774e2-2b0a-4fe7-b8f9-5b0fa8991b69
  9. Mounting EFI system partition on USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mounting EFI system partition on USB?: I am trying to mount the EFI system partition on my USB drive, and Diskpart gives this error: Virtual Disk Service error: The operation is not supported on removable media. I can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to mount the ESP, but I would like to avoid using 3rd party...
  10. Issues with EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issues with EFI System Partition: This is with reference to EFI System Partition Drive which automatically created as Local Disk Z in my PC when I allocated space from C Windows drive to D drive. Earlier this drive Z drive wasn't there and I want to remove it. Please tell the safest procedure ASA[ATTACH]P....