Windows 10: EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files

Discus and support EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Guys I tried to open my encrypted files pictures and videos and they aren't letting me. I may have reset my password as i've been using my pin for so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FoxKriss, Jan 27, 2020.

1. FoxKriss Win User

EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files

Guys I tried to open my encrypted files pictures and videos and they aren't letting me. I may have reset my password as i've been using my pin for so long and the password was local so i reset the password by creating an administrator and changing my password. After that i believe this happened but when i checked the details section in the advanced tab of properties, the certificate used to encrypt the files were indeed issued by me, to me. i clicked add out of curiosity and it suggested a newer certificate created just that day which i have no idea about. But there was a button that said more choices and that included my original certificate issued in 2016which has access to the files and it is in my system right? Since it didn't let me use my old certificate, i tried adding the new certificate in the allowed to access section but it gave me an error saying i don't have the permission to do that! I tried importing it again, change permissions, etc. I still am not sure if the password reset caused this but i am really frustrated by this. Please help me fix this. Thank you

p.s:

any new encrypted files work just fine but they use the newer certificate to get encrypted

and i don't know how to gain access to MY OWN initial certificate

But i have access to the microsoft account linked to the user and i know the pin too that i always used to log in

Images included:

1 certificates that are allowed to access

2 two certificates which includes my original one that i cant use anymore for some reason

3 error i get when i try to add the new certificate to the users who can access this file section EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files 9b755829-29ca-45ca-8126-34dbb05be986?upload=true.jpg EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files 61a07461-9b89-4df5-929a-6da10ed36756?upload=true.jpg EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files 640a99ad-015a-4307-b2dc-543708ff4129?upload=true.jpg

:)

FoxKriss, Jan 27, 2020

2. Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to a Windows 7 system. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install
    on the Windows 7 system and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 system, the file will not open. Windows as added a .PFILE file extension
    to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on my Windows 7 system since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Steve_1208, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Create a EFS certificate

Hello my name is Bradford and I'm an Independent Advisor for the Microsoft Community and I will try to resolve your problem with manually creating an EFS.

Below, is a tutorial on how to create a new EFSDRA Certificate so that you can recover the files from the encrypted drive and how to then use that certificate to recover data.

I apologize that this process is rather complex but the Microsoft tutorial is rather detailed:

Tutorial Link :

Please let me know if this helps

Omoikane1122, Jan 27, 2020
  4. AshokP_ Win User

Encrypting File System (EFS) and Windows Hello

Does anyone know how EFS certificates are secured when using Windows Hello with an account? I was under the impression that the EFS private key was secured by encrypting it with the password. However on an account with Windows Hello enabled, logging in
    using Windows Hello (using biometrics instead of the password) still allows you to access EFS encrypted files. I was expecting that the first time I logged in, I would have needed the password and only then onward I should have been able to unlock the session
    using Windows Hello.

AshokP_, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. EFS certificate created by ME doesn't allow ME to access encrypted files - Similar Threads - EFS certificate created

2. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  3. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EFS, system file, certificate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFS, system file, certificate: Hi every one I have some file in my hard derive which is encrypted via my previous windows 10. When I upgraded to windows 11, I can not access that files. Unfortunately I don't have backup certificate file. However, I recover a system file .sys with the same thumbprint of the...
  6. EFS, system file, certificate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS, system file, certificate: Hi every one I have some file in my hard derive which is encrypted via my previous windows 10. When I upgraded to windows 11, I can not access that files. Unfortunately I don't have backup certificate file. However, I recover a system file .sys with the same thumbprint of the...
  7. Create EFS certificate with custom cipher options

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Create EFS certificate with custom cipher options: Hi all. I would like to create an EFS certificate for myself self-signed with the following properties: signature algorithm and hash : at least SHA256 preferably SHA512 Public Key: RSA at least 4096 preferably RSA-8192 if possible ECC Key size: 521 I would like to...
  8. EFS Certificate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFS Certificate: If I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 did my EFS certificate upgrade and if so where do I find it so I can use it in my backup and also so I can get into my files that were encrypted?...
  9. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...
  10. Create a EFS certificate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a EFS certificate: Hi, my name is Robert, I want to start the post my telling my problem. 31 of March I updated Windows and it seemed that for some reason stopped working, even not showing the log-in screen, so as I tried to use the restore function and didn't worked I proceeded to format my...