Windows 10: EFS Certificate issue!!!!

Discus and support EFS Certificate issue!!!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. Here's what happened. I encrypted my files with EFS a while ago and I THINK I backed up the certificate. I moved a bunch of files over to a new... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jumpinbunny, Jun 17, 2017.

1. EFS Certificate issue!!!!

Hi. Here's what happened.

I encrypted my files with EFS a while ago and I THINK I backed up the certificate.
    I moved a bunch of files over to a new HDD, copied the User folder from the old SSD, ran Samsung Disk Erase Manager on the SSD, and installed New Windows 10.
    Of course, some of the files are still encrypted.
    I tried opening the certificate I saved in an attempt to decrypt the files, but it either didn't work, or the certificate isn't getting accepted/recognized(I checked certmgr.msc it doesn't show up).

Is there anything that I could possibly do?
    I have found the User/app data/my certificates folder with TWO certificates (not in standard cert file format though). Can I use these somehow?

Is there any way for me to completely recover my old OS or anything? I've only written ~20gb of new data on the SSD after I erased it.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

:)

Jumpinbunny, Jun 17, 2017

2. Surface Pro 4 and External Hard Drive

Perhaps some encryption issue with efs?

EFS installed on Mac, but certificate not installed on SP4?

Best wishes from Wulf Gerdts

WulfGerdts, Jun 17, 2017
  3. SarahKong Win User
    EFS

Also try regenerating a new EFS certificate manually.

But before you do that make sure all your files you have turned OFF the EFS if it happens to be on or else you will be locked permanently out of those files.

Once you do that go to search and type certmgr.msc

Then open up the console and go to Personal - Certificates.

Find the one with intended purposes of EFS and delete it.

Close certmgr.msc

Then try EFS encrypt again.

SarahKong, Jun 17, 2017
  4. GTZee Win User

EFS Certificate issue!!!!

I had the same issue. I'd encrypted some files using EFS. I did a clean install of Windows 10, forgot to migrate the previous certificate (it doesn't do this by default) almost resigned to the fact that all my encrypted migrated files where locked forever. All I'd done was import the WRONG certificate, one of three I had backed-up on an external drive (.pfx). Check the "thumbprint" (details/properties tab) of the files you EFS encrypted and can't open, against all Certificates you've created (saved externally or imported to your Personal store in Cert Mgr, must have passwords too) - hopefully you'll find a match. Good luck.

GTZee, Sep 14, 2017
  5. GTZee Win User
    I had also inexplicably saved the Cert I needed as a .txt file which is partly why I couldn't find it. If you've just saved it with an incorrect extention, copy the original, save it to a USB in the correct .pfx format and try reimporting it.

GTZee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

EFS Certificate issue!!!!

1. EFS Certificate issue!!!! - Similar Threads - EFS Certificate issue

2. certification issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    certification issue: Hi Team, I attended AZ-400 Exam on 14-Oct-23 and till now I'm unable to find my certificate under View Certificate where as I'm able to download from the Provide Person Vue and also from Transcript. Please do the needful. Thanks Regards, Raja...
  3. certification issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    certification issue: Hi Team, I attended AZ-400 Exam on 14-Oct-23 and till now I'm unable to find my certificate under View Certificate where as I'm able to download from the Provide Person Vue and also from Transcript. Please do the needful. Thanks Regards, Raja...
  4. EFS, system file, certificate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFS, system file, certificate: Hi every one I have some file in my hard derive which is encrypted via my previous windows 10. When I upgraded to windows 11, I can not access that files. Unfortunately I don't have backup certificate file. However, I recover a system file .sys with the same thumbprint of the...
  5. EFS, system file, certificate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS, system file, certificate: Hi every one I have some file in my hard derive which is encrypted via my previous windows 10. When I upgraded to windows 11, I can not access that files. Unfortunately I don't have backup certificate file. However, I recover a system file .sys with the same thumbprint of the...
  6. Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -: Hi,I cannot access my encrypted files because the encryption certificate changed. I can still see it in the certificate manager but I cannot export it in Pfx file to install it again only in CER format....
  7. Windows EFS Issues

Windows EFS Issues: Hey Everyone! I'm having quite a bit of trouble with Windows EFS encrypted files currently. I recently migrated backup systems for the server, found that the backups are completing with errors, and those particular files are encrypted through EFS. I was able to decrypt a...
  8. Create EFS certificate with custom cipher options

Create EFS certificate with custom cipher options: Hi all. I would like to create an EFS certificate for myself self-signed with the following properties: signature algorithm and hash : at least SHA256 preferably SHA512 Public Key: RSA at least 4096 preferably RSA-8192 if possible ECC Key size: 521 I would like to...
  9. EFS Certificate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFS Certificate: If I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 did my EFS certificate upgrade and if so where do I find it so I can use it in my backup and also so I can get into my files that were encrypted?...
  10. Create a EFS certificate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a EFS certificate: Hi, my name is Robert, I want to start the post my telling my problem. 31 of March I updated Windows and it seemed that for some reason stopped working, even not showing the log-in screen, so as I tried to use the restore function and didn't worked I proceeded to format my...