Windows 10: EFS decryption

Discus and support EFS decryption in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrianO'Sullivan4, May 16, 2022.

1. EFS decryption

I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to the laptop, they could not be opened. There is a yellow lock next to each file. the error message is "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges".

:)

BrianO'Sullivan4, May 16, 2022
  2. LemP Win User

decrypting efs file

I assume that you never created a backup key or recovery agent as would have been suggested when you first started using EFS.

The way that Elcomsoft and other data recovery experts attempt to recover encrypted files is to search through the system's hard drive for information that they can use to recreate the decryption key. If you threw away the laptop and its system drive and
    all you have now is the encrypted file itself, you're out of luck.

From Elcomsoft's explanation (Advanced EFS Data Recovery | Elcomsoft Co.Ltd.):

You can always email or call Elcomsoft or one of the other data recovery firms, but I would expect them to tell you the same thing.

3. 3baidT Win User
    decrypting efs file

are you telling me that even microsoft who created this efs dont have a tool to decrypt?

do you know any other apps that may be useful ?

3baidT, May 16, 2022
  4. EFS decryption

TairikuOkami, May 16, 2022
Thema:

EFS decryption

1. EFS decryption - Similar Threads - EFS decryption

2. How to decrypt my EFS-encypted files stored on an external drive once my old windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to decrypt my EFS-encypted files stored on an external drive once my old windows...: Dear Community,I'm turning to you for help. Unfortunately I seem to have encrypted my personal data including all my PhD works on my laptop's previous Windows 10 installation. After re-installing windows, I can’t access that folder any longer. It’s not Bitlocker encrypted,...
  3. How to decrypt my EFS-encypted files stored on an external drive once my old windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to decrypt my EFS-encypted files stored on an external drive once my old windows...: Dear Community,I'm turning to you for help. Unfortunately I seem to have encrypted my personal data including all my PhD works on my laptop's previous Windows 10 installation. After re-installing windows, I can’t access that folder any longer. It’s not Bitlocker encrypted,...
  4. How to decrypt my EFS-encypted files stored on an external drive once my old windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive: Dear All,Greetings of the day!I have encrypted a usb drive with EFS, then formatted the PC and reinstalled windows, now when I enter the USB I cannot decrypt its content because I did not backup the certificate, is it possible to recover the certificate using recovery...
  6. Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive

Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive: Dear All,Greetings of the day!I have encrypted a usb drive with EFS, then formatted the PC and reinstalled windows, now when I enter the USB I cannot decrypt its content because I did not backup the certificate, is it possible to recover the certificate using recovery...
  7. Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  9. EFS decryption

EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  10. RE: We are note able to decrypt some files encrypted with EFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RE: We are note able to decrypt some files encrypted with EFS: Dear Team, We are facing an issue for not able decrypt some files like excel or pdf and jpeg file formats.we has to change new user profiles in my domain and we have moved files from old user profile to new profile.we are not able to open and modify whichever data moved from...