Windows 10: EFS encryption for OneDrive folders

Discus and support EFS encryption for OneDrive folders in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, in our organization we have EFS encryption policy to encrypt all files and folders in Desktop and Documents. We are going to activate OneDrive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Unerrore, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Unerrore Win User

EFS encryption for OneDrive folders

Hi,

in our organization we have EFS encryption policy to encrypt all files and folders in Desktop and Documents.

We are going to activate OneDrive For Business backup know folders synchronization but EFS stopped to encrypt local files on the Desktop everything ok for Documents.

I try to force the policy to encrypt the folder %useprofile%\Desktop and %userprofile%\Onedrive...\Desktop but nothing changes.

Could anyone help with this?

Thank you

:)

Unerrore, Dec 14, 2020
  2. AGomes# Win User

OneDrive Sync not encrypting files on a EFS enabled folder

Dear,

I use EFS and enabled encryption on the OneDrive folder. It always worked as expected: if I create a file on the folder it is locally encrypted and uploaded successfully to OneDrive cloud (unencrypted), if I create a file somewhere else and upload to OneDrive
    cloud it is downloaded and then locally encrypted.

But some time ago downloaded files stopped being encrypted! So I have an EFS enabled folder... with unencrypted files!

I´m currently using 18.131.0701.0004, but previous versions had the same behavior... I would say the versions in use by the beginning of the year were working as expected, but that is a guess.

Thank you for your attention!

AGomes#, Dec 14, 2020
  3. desk77 Win User
    Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:L: [email protected]@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, Dec 14, 2020
  4. Meisha Win User

Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

1. EFS encryption for OneDrive folders - Similar Threads - EFS encryption OneDrive

2. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  3. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  4. EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  7. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Confused about EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confused about EFS encryption: EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page: Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free...
  9. Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows: How to: Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows How to Enable or Disable Automatically Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files...
  10. Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: How to: Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Encrypt Files and Folders with Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on...