Windows 10: EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

Discus and support EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AofTutsanawiwat, Sep 2, 2021.

1. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer instead we are using BitLocker to encrypt all volumes on this computer.Double checked and run "CIPHER.EXE /U /N" and result shows no file was encrypted.Checked certificate as per this URL: https://appuals.com/encrypting-file-system-efs/ Found one certificate that might cuase the problem was created on date that our staff report the problem.Any ideas what software or action that trigger this certificate to be created and is it safe to delete ?

:)

AofTutsanawiwat, Sep 2, 2021
  2. PolarNettles, Sep 2, 2021
  3. desk77 Win User
    Backup the EFS encryption key file

My IT support staff told me that it doesn't depend on them. So why did those message start to appear?
    Anyway, do you think I should make a copy of certificates on a external storage or try to decrypt all files?

desk77, Sep 2, 2021
  4. desk77 Win User

EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:L: [email protected]@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, Sep 2, 2021
Thema:

EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

1. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer - Similar Threads - EFS Prompted backup

2. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  3. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  4. Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -: Hi,I cannot access my encrypted files because the encryption certificate changed. I can still see it in the certificate manager but I cannot export it in Pfx file to install it again only in CER format....
  5. Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question

Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question: Before you encrypt anything important, A.you should back up your file recovery certificate and your B.personal encryption certificate with their associated private keys, C.as well as the data recovery agent certificate to a USB flash drive UFD. Store the UFD in a secure...
  6. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...
  7. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...
  8. How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Whenever we encrypt any data, we need a simple key just to unlock it. Well, this key is everything. This key is the foundation of the security on the user’s front. And keeping it safe and secure is one of [...] This post How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows...
  9. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  10. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...