Windows 10: ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7

Discus and support ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, been beating my head against the wall for 3 days on this. This is one of two Windows 10 upgrade problems that I have. I have a Dell Inspiron... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by patricktapia, Dec 25, 2019.

1. ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7

Hi all, been beating my head against the wall for 3 days on this. This is one of two Windows 10 upgrade problems that I have.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 that came pre-installed with Windows 10 and the key embedded in the Bios. Specifically, ShowKey Plus Releases . Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus . GitHub shows the OEM key and edition as:
    Original Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Original Edition: Win 10 RTM Core OEM : DM
    EULA Type: OEM

I wiped the machine and installed Windows 7 Professional instead, which is fully activated and fully updated as of yesterday with a legal, paid-for OEM key, but now I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.

I downloaded MediaCreationTool1909.exe from Microsoft, created the ISO, burned it to a 16GB usb key using Rufus and tried to upgrade by executing setup while logged on as Administrator in the Windows 7 installation. I am getting the dreaded "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because you're installing an edition of Windows that's different than the one you're currently using".

Once I figured out that the key embedded in the BIOS was causing this, I created and stored in the <USB key drive>\sources directory a ei.cfg file which looks like this:
    [EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    Retail

I also tried any number of other combinations based on various forum posts, such as
    [EditionID]
    [Channel]
    _Default

In all cases, the setup ignores the ei.cfg, does not give me a menu to choose, goes right to the "Choose what to keep" with the "apps, files and settings" greyed out and the "can't keep" message.

SetupDiag says:
    SetupDiag: processing rule: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure.
    Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.
    Last Operation: Finalize
    Error: 0xC1900205 - 0x4000B
    LogEntry: 2019-12-24 11:05:24, Error MOUPG CDlpActionCompat::ExecuteMigChoiceScan(1658): Result = 0xC1900205

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

SetupDiag found 1 matching issue.
    ---------------------------------

What is errorcode 0xC1900205? I can't find documentation for this anywhere. I could, I guess, let it install the OEM version since I don't much care about whether I need to re-install or not, but I want Windows 10 Professional as I should be able to get.

Why doesn't this work? Any help at all would be most appreciated as I am dead in the water here.

Thanks in advance

:)

patricktapia, Dec 25, 2019
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7 [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Bushka Win User
    Microphone doesn`t work

My microphone and ear-phone doesn`t work. Please help me, I have windows 7 home basic, my computer reproduces a sound, but devices no.

Bushka, Dec 25, 2019
  4. ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7

Activation of Windows 10 Pro doesn´t work

Hallo, i can´t activate my windows 10 Pro (free upgrade from windows 7);

Info: 0xC0EA000A

Manual activation doesn´t work either.

Important (i think): I had to re-install windows 10 (3 or even 4 times). because I had massive problems with "Start and Cortana Issues".

I hope, I don´t have to search the old product key.

PS. Yes, Windows 7 was genuine.

MichalMichalczyk, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7

1. ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - cfg doesn't upgrade

2. Windows 7 to Windows 10 In-Place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 In-Place upgrade: Hello All, Custom build PC. Has been running fine for years with updates on Windows 7 Pro. Looking to update to Windows 10 via in-place USB method created from mediacreationtool. 1. Computer is fully updated with drivers from manufacturers. Gigabyte board, etc, etc. 2....
  3. Upgrade doesn't work from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade doesn't work from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise: Hello everyone, As the topic states, for weeks i'm struggling to upgrade my Windows 7 Enterprise PC to Windows 10 Enterprise PC. I have tried almost every image that exists, from VLSC(Volume Licensing Service Center), official Microsoft ISO image, FileHippo, Rufus and many...
  4. How to perform in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

How to perform in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.: Dear All our company have around 120 window 7 pro computers, and we plan to upgrading them to window 10 pro by the end of 2020, just wonder is it recommended to in place upgrade to win 10 from win 7 directly ? in this way i do not need to re-format the...
  5. How to in place upgrade window 10 pro from window 7 pro

How to in place upgrade window 10 pro from window 7 pro: Dear All our company have around 120 window 7 pro computers, and we plan to upgrading them to window 10 pro by the end of 2020, just wonder is it recommended to in place upgrade to win 10 from win 7 directly ? in this way i do not need to re-format the...
  6. Password from windows 7 doesn't work on 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password from windows 7 doesn't work on 10: I have a password that contained ctrl+backspace in the series, but when I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 that character was no longer supported. I can not log in or change my password now. Any idea how to either revert back to 7 to change it, or change it on 10 without...
  7. Recent places in Explorer doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent places in Explorer doesn't work.: Hiya, has had this issue for a couple of days now where I right click on the Explorer app on the taskbar and click a recently visited folder and nothing happens, there is no window popping up with the location. I have also looked through Brink's tutorial on the forums...
  8. Activation doesn't work when upgraded from windows 7 sp1 retail 10162

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation doesn't work when upgraded from windows 7 sp1 retail 10162: Activation doesn't work when upgraded from windows 7 sp1 retail--Windows 10 home preview build 10162 I reported the issue to Microsoft but that could create a problem when rtm is released for those that quit the program on the release date. It looks like a lot of people...
  9. Audio doesn't work on Windows 10 after Upgrading from 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio doesn't work on Windows 10 after Upgrading from 7: Tried restarting both services relating to Audio as well and no luck. I can't even access Sound via Control Panel. There's a red x over the speaker icon in my taskbar. Can't even use my microphone. This issue wasn't present until I installed Windows 10. I try restarting...
  10. Is it worth me the upgrade from 7 to 10 in the first place?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it worth me the upgrade from 7 to 10 in the first place?: I want to gather here pros and cons. Sorry, I searched the forum for a similar thread, but couldn't find it. My only interest is in comparing Home versions here. I see no benefit for myself in Pro - for BitLocker I'd use a free (as in free software) alternative -, though...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. http://gethub.com/superfly.ink/ShowKeyPlus/releases

2. upgrade ei.cfg

3. 0xc1900205 - 0x4000b