Windows 10: Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another

Discus and support Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have 3, USB drives that I've given volume names: "Huey" "Dewie" & "Louie". I removed the drive letters I had assigned and instead mounted them here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another

I have 3, USB drives that I've given volume names: "Huey" "Dewie" & "Louie".
    I removed the drive letters I had assigned and instead mounted them here:

D:\Huey\
    D:\Dewie\
    D:\Louie\

That's brilliant!!

However...

Now, if I want to eject one of them via the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon on the taskbar, I see only this:

Eject easystore 25FA
    Eject easystore 25FA
    Eject easystore 25FA

I can't tell which is which.

Is there a way to add "Huey" "Dewie" & "Louie" to the Eject Media designations?

Note: I have tried every way I can think of.

Warm Regards,
    Mark.

PS: Oh, I should add that formerly, when they had drive letters, the drive letters were part of the Eject Media designations.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Oct 4, 2019

2. ejecting a usb drive in 10

Hi Walden,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with accessing Safely Remove and Eject Media USB icon on the taskbar.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "not I can not get it to show up in bottom right lower", are you referring that you are not able to see the Eject USB icon under the show hidden icons?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to understand the system

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Turn on Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Please get back to us with an update on issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Missing Eject in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" List

I use to be able to eject my USB drive via "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" with list as below:

- Open Devices and Printers
    - Eject Data Traveler 111
    - USB Drive (DEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :)
    - Eject My Passport Ultra
    - My Passport (EEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :)

However recently the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" list seems corrupted and shows:

- Open Devices and Printers
    - USB Drive (DEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :)

- My Passport (EEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :)

with { - USB Drive (DEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :) } and { - My Passport (EEject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another :) } are grayed out.

Currently the only way for me is go to file explorer and right click the removable drive and click Eject.

Please help!

Tze Lin Wong, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another

Missing Eject in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" List

Hi Tze Lin Wong,

The configuration to this can be found under settings. To enable this feature follow these steps:

1. Right-click the taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
    2. Under Notification Area, choose
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    3. Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
      and turn it on.

If this doesn't work, I suggest that you check with your USB drive manufacturer for new drivers or other updates.

All the best.

Mark Isi, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another

1. Eject Media - can't tell one USB drive from another - Similar Threads - Eject Media can't

2. Can't share drive C from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't share drive C from one laptop to another: I can share other folders and even another drive D, but somehow, I can't success to share drive C.What could be the problem? One laptop is Win10 and the other is Win11.Thank you!...
  3. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  4. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  5. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Issues to eject USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues to eject USB drive: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  7. Windows locks USB drives and can't eject

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows locks USB drives and can't eject: Why is Windows so lame about this? I've seen a lot of posts about this but really no solutions. Simple task - eject a hard drive. Seems to be DSAService.exe and svchost.exe that are holding on to drives; happens more often than not. Please Microsoft can you fix this? It's...
  8. Ejecting usb drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting usb drive: After updating to Windows 10 version 2004, when trying to eject an external usb drive, I continuously receive the error message that the drive is in use and to wait and try again later. No matter how long I wait, this message recurs when nothing I can see is using the drive....
  9. Problems ejecting usb mass media

Problems ejecting usb mass media: I've looked at many of the previous postings on this issue and found zero useful ways of addressing the "sorry bloke, in use" inanity. Task manager resource monitor assures me nothing is accessing the drive in question, that is, right up to the point where I go through the...
  10. USB drives that won't eject

USB drives that won't eject: Like, apparently, many people, I frequently find that USB drives won't eject because they are supposedly in use. I have seen this question posted in many places, but I have yet to see a solution that works. There are two solutions which are supposed to work, but don't....