Windows 10: elan touchpad driver update

Discus and support elan touchpad driver update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Been reading here and using win 10 from the outset. On latest build, updated this morning. This Elan touchpad driver keeps coming in through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by doorules, Mar 30, 2015.

1. doorules Win User

elan touchpad driver update

Been reading here and using win 10 from the outset. On latest build, updated this morning.

This Elan touchpad driver keeps coming in through windows update and it just screws up my touchpad more than anything. When it loads up I can no longer use right or left click functions on the touchpad. I can find no way to stop the update.

Is there any method for stopping a particular windows update from loading? I keep uninstalling it but it comes back all the time.

I am on an Asus G750J laptop.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully there is a simple fix that just eludes me.

:)

doorules, Mar 30, 2015

2. Had to change palmrest. Windows thinks old ELAN touchpad is still installed. How do I get rid of old device?

Buttons broke on my ELAN touchpad - part of the palmrest. Bought a used one and installed, but the touchpad is Synaptics. Windows 10 keeps installing a driver for ELAN touchpad. I have run wushowhide to prevent this. I got the latest Synaptics driver
    to work by telling Device Manager to let me provide the driver source. The touchpad is connected to the PS/2 port. I backed up my system and tried doing an Update Driver from Device Manager, but that results in the ELAN device driver being downloaded and
    installed still. Also, I tried removing every reference to ELAN in my registry, but nothing keeps Windows Update (other than wushowhide) or Device Manager from trying to update to the old ELAN driver(s). How does Windows Update decide I have an ELAN touchpad
    instead of a Synaptics touchpad? Is there a way to get rid of all the references to the old ELAN touchpad?

LarryWickham, Mar 30, 2015
  3. tvfxqaktf Win User
    Precision touchpad unable to pinch zoom in non-Microsoft applications

elan touchpad driver update [​IMG]

Hi,

I've attached a photo of my driver properties of the drivers under my Mice and Other Pointing Devices in Device Manager. Not sure if the photo can be seen; not sure if the photo helps.

1. I tried uninstalling only the ELAN driver. It prompted me to restart the computer to apply changes. Touchpad could still be used as normal. I restarted it, and there was only the HID-compliant Mouse driver left under Mice and Other Pointing Devices
    (no more ELAN driver). The ELAN driver did not reinstall itself but the touchpad worked exactly the same as before I uninstalled the ELAN driver. Elan driver reinstalled after I updated the driver on the HID-compliant Mouse driver (?)

2. I tried uninstalling both the ELAN driver and the HID-compliant Mouse driver. Touchpad could still be used as normal. Restarted. HID-complaint Mouse reappeared under Mice and Other Pointing Devices in Device Manager. Touchpad could be used as normal.
    ELAN driver did not reinstall itself until I updated the driver on the HID-compliant Mouse Driver.

TL;DR: Presence of ELAN driver does not seem to affect use of touchpad; no change in function of touchpad/problem not solved. Help?

tvfxqaktf, Mar 30, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Welcome to the forums doorules. At this stage you can not stop updates. Hopefully that will be available as an option soon.

5. doorules Win User
    Thanks, I thought that was where I was but nice to know for sure.

doorules, Mar 30, 2015
  6. hawkman Win User
    In latest build,
    I went via ControlPanel/all controlpanel items/devices and printers/Right clicked on computer.

see screenshot

Roy

hawkman, May 23, 2015
  7. Brilliant! Solved my problem too - mine was problem with Windows downloading the Synaptic driver.

richardanthony, Jul 31, 2015
  8. elan touchpad driver update

Oops, I posted a bit too early. After disabling the auto-update of device drivers, the touchpad driver still came up in Windows Updates. It's driving me nuts.

richardanthony, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Howdy guys!

First of all, I registered here just to try to help you guys out. I actually don't have any other interest in this forum, so I'm going to try to get my account deleted after this.

I encountered the same problem today and it really does drive one crazy... it's horrible. Windows automatically installs a new driver for the touchpad (new, horrible driver is ELAN touchpad driver [good old one is ASUS smart gesture]). It simply won't let you use the ASUS one.

It even installs if you have set windows NOT to install drivers. The good thing is that Microsoft actually HAS released a tool to stop unwanted updates from installing. You can have a look here: http://reviews.gizmodo.com/heres-the...-up-1720768012 You can download the tool from Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I haven't had the chance to try it out myself since I'm writing this just before going to sleep (couldn't let you guys hanging =P), but I really really really really really hope it works.

Greetings and good luck from Denmark!

PS.: If you have to do some uninstalling/reinstalling with the ASUS driver please take care and make sure to completely uninstall it and reboot the computer before you try to reinstall it. I just experienced what happens if you mess this up a few days ago.

HereForTouchpad, Aug 3, 2015
  10. This problem is annoying, and the best thing to do is make sure all your drivers are up to speed, roll back the driver for the elan touchpad, and then use this procedure: It worked for me,

1. Right click on the windows flag in the lower left hand corner of your desktop
    2. Click on Control Panel
    3. Click on "view drivers and printers."
    4. Right click on image of computer
    5. Click on Device and Installation Settings
    6. Click dot in circle...."No, let me choose what to do
    7. Click dot in circle..."Never install driver software from Windows Update

This is in an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. So far in another upgrade I did on a very similar Gateway laptop which had Windows 7, there has been no problem in Windows constantly updating to a driver that takes away my edge scroll, and gives me only a 2 finger scroll. I like the edge scroll, and I'm sure some of you out there do also. This is the way to make sure you can keep it.

jamesrockford01, Aug 3, 2015
  11. bryanwst Win User
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. I did what was suggested here and it worked for me. But how do I get rid of the small blue circle flashing next to my mouse cursor. It's driving me nuts. I have a Asus ROG G551JM . Thanks

bryanwst, Aug 4, 2015
  12. whest Win User
    Yes I have used this program from Microsoft and it works I found the link on MSI site MSI Global - The best gaming gear maker in the world and the link from "HereToTouchpad" to download the program - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 - if the driver is popping in windows update after you set it up in the program (wushowhide) to be removed you need to uninstall the driver in Device Manager and select delete all driver files - reboot and your good to go.

whest, Aug 4, 2015
  13. dras2 Win User

What windows update to I have to delete to get the touchpad mouse buttons to work and stop disabling the ELAN touchpad in the mouse setup? I have an ASUS laptop.

dras2, Aug 5, 2015
  14. whest Win User
    From my previous reply on page 1 - use the first setup of program from the MSI pdf, I have the links for both :
    Microsofts wushowhide - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
    MSI's PDF for instructions - MSI Global - The best gaming gear maker in the world
    Follow the links and you will be ok *Smile

whest, Aug 6, 2015
  15. black59 Win User
    Hey,
    Same for me here.
    This f*****ng Windows Update always wants to install this Elan driver, despite I have already the last Asus Smart Gesture software and driver.
    EVEN if I disabled driver auto update from the system properties...
    And when I hide the update from the microsoft tool, it reappears after some times ...

black59, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. elan touchpad driver update - Similar Threads - elan touchpad driver

2. Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver: Windows 10So, I opened my laptop to use it and the touchpad suddenly stopped working. I restarted it a bunch of times but it did not work like it usually does. I then looked up how to fix it and in the device manager, the Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver was hidden....
  3. Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver: Windows 10So, I opened my laptop to use it and the touchpad suddenly stopped working. I restarted it a bunch of times but it did not work like it usually does. I then looked up how to fix it and in the device manager, the Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver was hidden....
  4. Elan Precise Touchpad Filter Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Asus ELAN touchpad not showing up after driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus ELAN touchpad not showing up after driver update: So I recently upgraded reinstalled to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 because after a reboot my keyboard stopped working everywhere in Windows, I had to do a clean install because it would keep saying that the "Windows 10 installation had failed." Now that I've upgraded,...
  6. ELAN touchpad driver acting up

ELAN touchpad driver acting up: A little while ago, i tried to fix an issue where i couldn't use my touchpad while typing a key. A friend told me to install windows precision drivers from lenovo's website, but they didn't work so I went back to the default. The next time I restarted my computer, my...
  7. ELAN touchpad

ELAN touchpad: How do I disable the ELAN Touchpad in Win 10. I use an external mouse and the pad will cause problems if touched when typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/elan-touchpad/0c80d1b4-e644-41b0-ad58-3842d9d7b862
  8. ELAN Touchpad driver problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ELAN Touchpad driver problem: Hi all! ASUS ROG G751JT - win10 At first I thought is malware or a hardware problem... I need to stop ELAN Touchpad driver getting installed after every restart. I don't want to turn off the updates in Windows... With the driver installed the touchpad works but is only...
  9. Elan touchpad

Elan touchpad: I have an HP laptop I purchased in January 2019. I spent three days last year working with a tech person to disable the Elan touchpad that came installed. Windows 10 updated a few days ago and enabled the touchpad. Please tell me how to disable it again. It is a constant...
  10. Elan touchpad

Elan touchpad: my elan touchpad isn't working. The only thing I can do with it is move the cursor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/elan-touchpad/79e81765-0821-4972-b5bf-fb8e57b82b64