Windows 10: Elevated Privilege

Discus and support Elevated Privilege in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Lairbear, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Lairbear Win User

Elevated Privilege

All--

It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status.

Thanks in advance for any help/direction,

Randy Reist,

:)

Lairbear, Apr 2, 2020
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Apr 2, 2020
  3. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

OK, I tried Dinesh's tutorial. First, here's a list of accounts for my machine:

Elevated Privilege [​IMG]

I held down Shift and rebooted, and got the WinRE splash screen. I was prompted to log in, with "Dan" my only option:

If I clicked on "Don't see your account", I got this:

Is it suggesting that "Dan" is an administrator account? Oh, that it were so... I went back, selected the "Dan" account, and it booted into command prompt. I then attempted the first of Dinesh's instructions:

Hello darkness, my old friend... "Access Denied."

Dan

shortmort37, Apr 2, 2020
  4. Elevated Privilege

Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

Elevated Privilege

1. Elevated Privilege - Similar Threads - Elevated Privilege

2. Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: Earlier this week, security researchers discovered a vulnerability in recent versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system that allows attackers to run code with system privileges if exploited successfully. Overly permissive Access Control Lists (ACLs) on some system...
  3. Microsoft Windows Defender Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability CVE-2020-1163 & CVE-2020-1170

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows Defender Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability CVE-2020-1163 & CVE-2020-1170: how do i update Microsoft Windows Defender on windows 2016 core server? Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1911.3-0\ Installed version : 4.18.1911.3 Fixed version : 4.18.2005.1...
  4. Error 0x80070005, Access denied, The requested action requires elevated privileges

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0x80070005, Access denied, The requested action requires elevated privileges: [ATTACH]When trying to activate Windows 10, if you get an error code 0x80070005, then […] This article Error 0x80070005, Access denied, The requested action requires elevated privileges first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Error: 0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error: 0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges: i am trying to activate windows but it says "Error: 0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges" any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x80070005-access-denied-the-requested/65fa1d50-8f41-41f8-8e5f-6acc7bd97db2
  6. Windows Privilege Elevation Management

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Privilege Elevation Management: Hello, I am configuring our privilege manager for our workstations at my business. I am having a debate on whether I want to allow ANYTHING to elevate from "trusted" directories i.e. Program Files and Windows directories that are owned by elevated users or make dozens of...
  7. Elevated Privilege

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  8. CVE-2019-1214 Windows CLFS Driver Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1214 Windows CLFS Driver Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1214 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists when the Windows Common Log File System (CLFS) driver improperly handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run processes in an elevated context. To exploit...
  9. CVE-2019-1292 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1292 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1292 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in Microsoft Windows when Windows fails to properly handle certain symbolic links. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could potentially set certain items to run at a higher level and...
  10. CVE-2019-1215 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1215 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1215 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in the way that ws2ifsl.sys (Winsock) handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could execute code with elevated privileges. To exploit the vulnerability, a locally...