Windows 10: Elevation error when trying to enter admin password

Discus and support Elevation error when trying to enter admin password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; whenever i try to enter my account info to run a file as an admin, it gives me the error that "this operation requires elevation." any ideas? 21511 Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by themarchingbron, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Elevation error when trying to enter admin password

whenever i try to enter my account info to run a file as an admin, it gives me the error that "this operation requires elevation." any ideas?

:)

themarchingbron, Sep 6, 2015
  2. eeeehaw Win User

Windows 10 Home to Education Upgrade Failing

I get a "system error 5" when attempting either of these commands at the CLI.

I'm not certain what the point of this specific exercise is, given that I have only one user account from first activation and it is an administrator account.

I am having the same problem as original poster, where I see a failure to upgrade error message after the system reboots (up to that point no indication of a problem); trying to upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Education with new license key.

eeeehaw, Sep 6, 2015
  3. cupboy1 Win User
    runas requires elevation - what do I do about this?

C:\Users\luser>runas /user:admin "mmc gpedit.msc"

Enter the password for admin:

Attempting to start mmc gpedit.msc as user "BBY\admin" ...

RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - mmc gpedit.msc

740: The requested operation requires elevation.

cupboy1, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Elevation error when trying to enter admin password

Kari, Sep 6, 2015
  5. when I do that, the admin prompt still pops up and when i enter my password it tells me it requires elevation,

6. Kari Win User
    OK, than means that you are trying to run a program elevated from a standard account, not admin account. In that case you have to select the Windows built-in administrator account from the list and use it:

Elevation error when trying to enter admin password [​IMG]

By default the built-in administrator account has no password, leave the password box empty if you have not manually set a password for this account.

If the built-in administrator account is not shown, it means that it is disabled as it by default is. In that case you have to sign in to Windows with a local admin account and go to Computer Management (right click Start, select Computer Management). When there, select Local Users and Groups > Users, and double click the Administrator account to open its properties, or right click it and select Properties:

In Properties dialog unselect Account is disabled and click OK to save the changed properties:

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Now you can go back to your standard Windows user account and select the built-in administrator from the list when you want to run an application elevated.

Kari, Sep 6, 2015
  7. this is an administrator account though, and for some reason it is not recognizing it, it was working fine a couple weeks ago, and the problem has persisted through several reboots

8. Kari Win User

Did you try to enable the built-in admin account?

Kari, Sep 7, 2015
  9. the local users/group doesnt show up in my computer management

themarchingbron, Sep 7, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    Sometimes it's difficult...

Expand System Tools:

11. themarchingbron, Sep 8, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    Your system specs are almost complete missing, which makes this a guessing game:

If your Windows 10 is the Home edition, you don't have Local Users and Groups add-on in Computer Management. It is only available in Pro and Enterprise editions.

13. Elevation error when trying to enter admin password

Windows just updated today, and it fixed itself, thanks for your help though

themarchingbron, Sep 12, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    Good to know you got it fixed *Smile

Thema:

1. Elevation error when trying to enter admin password - Similar Threads - Elevation error trying

2. "To continue, enter an admin username and password",

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "To continue, enter an admin username and password",: Hi, i have a problem with my pc. basicaly when i try to open a file with administrator privilages this shows up:"To continue, enter an admin username and password", and it does not have YES button or anything to insert administator username and password this is my own...
  3. Cannot enter admin username & password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enter admin username & password: Dell Inspiron 13 5310 user here, I'm trying to uninstall a program and I keep getting this:It wouldn't let me take a screenshot, so I took one with my phone. This is not unique to the specific program I'm trying to uninstall, this happens any time I try to do something that...
  4. Cannot enter admin username & password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enter admin username & password: Dell Inspiron 13 5310 user here, I'm trying to uninstall a program and I keep getting this:It wouldn't let me take a screenshot, so I took one with my phone. This is not unique to the specific program I'm trying to uninstall, this happens any time I try to do something that...
  5. Apps like torguard still need admin password even when elevated?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Apps like torguard still need admin password even when elevated?: As a user on my computer, I find it really annoying to have to ask the admin for the password every time I open torguard. I tried setting it as an elevated program (properties-advanced-run as administrator) but it still asks for the password. How do I fix this? submitted by...
  6. Enter an admin user name and password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enter an admin user name and password: The screen already has an "outlook.com" email address for me, then I enter what I believe my password is. Then the screen posts in red print that "the password is incorrect." How can I fix this??...
  7. "To continue, enter an admin username and password"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "To continue, enter an admin username and password": Recently this will pop up with a grayed out "yes" option on my computer when I do almost anything. I've had this computer for 5+ years and suddenly I've lost Administrator permissions. How to fix? (When it first happened, it was fixed when i restarted my laptop. Now that...
  8. Command CMD crashes when trying to activate elevated admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command CMD crashes when trying to activate elevated admin account: HELPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to get the local family and other user accounts link to show up in Windows 10 and nothing I have done has solved it yet. I am in Safe Mode right now and I still do not get the family and other user accounts information to come up,...
  9. Elevated Admin Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Elevated Admin Access: Hi. Can someone help me figure out how to get elevated administrator access, so I can make changes and download items on my surface pro? I keep getting a pop up screen that I need elevated privileges, and I need to enter my pin, but there is no spot to enter the pin....
  10. Admin elevation

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin elevation: I hate appearing stupid, but it is the only way I learn... I have two user accounts on this computer, one as Administrator and the other as, well, let's call it "me". Both are Administrator accounts. So why is it that I regularly am either told or asked to elevate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. elevation error when using admin password