Windows 10: ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?

Discus and support ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I read the windows webpage on this, but got confused and I'm a little worried Im beyond the point of no return. I upgraded my hard drive to a fancy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EliteAn0rak, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?

I read the windows webpage on this, but got confused and I'm a little worried Im beyond the point of no return.

I upgraded my hard drive to a fancy SSD, and decided I was done with that broken hard drive. So I plugged in my new SSD and loaded a clean windows with a USB drive I made before upgrading. But then it asked for a product key. And my noob bain completely shut down. What do I do from this point? Did I need something from my old hard drive?

Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/EliteAn0rak
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EliteAn0rak, Dec 4, 2020

2. How to change the MB without having to reinstall windows ???

Suggestion

Before you turn off Windows for the last time prior to changing MBs, go to Device Manager and delete everything you can, with no mercy, especially the items under "System devices".
    Then next time you boot (after changing MBs hopefully), Windows will re-install everything again, but this time according to the new hardware.
    Works quite well... Good luck!

stereotype, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

Why can't I activate Windows?

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

Get help with Windows activation errors

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-21a5-4010-8a39-7b975611b73b?tm=1438203002881

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 4, 2020
  4. ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?

1. ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change? - Similar Threads - ELI5 reinstall hardware

2. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change: Its been a year since my Windows deactivated since I changed my motherboard. Im trying to reactivate it but whenever I press troubleshoot nothing pops up telling me the issue. How do i fix this?...
  3. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change: Its been a year since my Windows deactivated since I changed my motherboard. Im trying to reactivate it but whenever I press troubleshoot nothing pops up telling me the issue. How do i fix this?...
  4. How do I reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...: Over the last year or so, I've noticed my computer was getting slower and slower. Now it's reached a point where it's almost unusable. It takes over 10 minutes (sometimes up to twenty) to boot up. And when it does, it's slow and sluggish. Opening task manager shows me that...
  6. Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware

Reinstalling windows 10 after changing hardware: Hello. Having trouble with my old PC again since my HDD crashed and so i tried to fix, recover and reinstall windows 10 through USB. To make the long story short, it ended up deleting /formatting the 500GB HDD and i got a used 120GB SSD and another 80GB HDD connected to my...
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 after hardware change.

Reinstalling windows 10 after hardware change.: I’m replacing my dead x570 motherboard with a new b550 motherboard and am assuming i will have to reinstall windows 10. I bought the windows 10 home usb stick with the key from bestbuy. I didnt link my windows 10 license key to my microsoft account when my pc was still...
  8. Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate Windows after reinstall - no hardware change: I broke my Windows installation. I initially had 10 Home, installed from an official installation USB. At some point, I purchased a Pro licence from the store. Now after I broke my installation, I reinstalled using the same USB stick, which allows me to chose between Home...
  9. How do I activate windows 10 after hardware change?

How do I activate windows 10 after hardware change?: I tried troubleshooting and saying that "I changed hardware on this device recently" but after choosing the old pc it constantly says "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. I did get the free upgrade from windows 8 to 10 a couple of years ago and I do...
  10. Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change

Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change: Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows 10 before I needed to change the faulty drive. The drive got changed by the repairer but the could only install Windows 7 (that was originally came with the laptop when I bought it). How do I upgrade to Windows 10 without buying a new...