Windows 10: ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

Discus and support ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Over the last year or so, I've noticed my computer was getting slower and slower. Now it's reached a point where it's almost unusable. It takes over 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EliteAn0rak, Nov 20, 2020.

1. ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

Over the last year or so, I've noticed my computer was getting slower and slower. Now it's reached a point where it's almost unusable. It takes over 10 minutes (sometimes up to twenty) to boot up. And when it does, it's slow and sluggish. Opening task manager shows me that the disk is at 100% with only 10MB/s in use. I talked my my friend who's in college for comp sci (a freshman but he's still more knowledgeable then me), and he had me run a few malware scans and a cleaner. Neither worked. He then suspected it was my old as hell hard drive. He recommended that I change my hard drive for a new 1 terabyte SSD and reinstall the OS on that. To me, that sounded like a whole weekend of troubleshooting in order to get working, plus a few nights of redownloading all my favorite games. But if it works, it would be worth it.

I was reading around and I found that it is possible to clone my old hard drive onto the new SSD, but I don't want to do that. My PC has years worth of clutter and garbage and I don't even know where to begin with cleaning it. Call me whatever you want, but I want a clean start. I've already backed up any important files to the cloud, so I should be set for a clean install.

So how do I do that? There doesn't seem to be any simple explanations online.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/EliteAn0rak
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EliteAn0rak, Nov 20, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Nov 20, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Nov 20, 2020
  4. Bogart99 Win User

ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

Cloning to SSD

Tried suggestion by NavyLCDR sam result no OS message.

ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my... [​IMG]

This is SSD after step 1 creation of NTFS partition.

ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my... [​IMG]

Here are contents of SSD after making image of HDD and copying to SSD

Here is content of HDD after copying image file from SSD to HDD

After a full restore, which completed with no errors, back to the SSD it looks like this

Which looks no different than before I started the whole thing off.

Will be committing suicide at the end of the day.*Sick

Bogart99, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my...

1. ELI5: How do I upgrade to a SSD and reinstall Windows onto it (I do not want to clone my... - Similar Threads - ELI5 upgrade SSD

2. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  3. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  4. How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...
  5. How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...
  6. How do I reinstall my licensed windows 11 to my newly brought SSD without cloning?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall my licensed windows 11 to my newly brought SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...
  7. ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ELI5: How do I reinstall windows after a hardware change?: I read the windows webpage on this, but got confused and I'm a little worried Im beyond the point of no return. I upgraded my hard drive to a fancy SSD, and decided I was done with that broken hard drive. So I plugged in my new SSD and loaded a clean windows with a USB drive...
  8. How do I install windows 10 onto my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install windows 10 onto my SSD: Hi! I just got a new SSD which I will be using as a boot drive for my laptop. My plan is to use the SSD to bootup windows and then the HDD my laptop currently has for space I also bought windows 10 pro while I was at it. However, I Don't know what to do half the time. I...
  9. How do I test my cloned SSD??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I test my cloned SSD??: Hello I have cloned my 1Tb HDD from my dell inspiron to a 525GB crucial SSD using macrium reflect and everything went perfectly but I would still like to be sure. So is there any way using reflect or any other software to test my newly cloned SSD to make sure it is going to...
  10. Upgrading my SSD - Do I need to reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my SSD - Do I need to reinstall Windows?: Hi, I have a Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5" disk running basically only Windows. I've moved all users folders to my other HDD (Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB) and on this disc all Program Files, games etc. are stored. Now I bought this Western Digital Blue 3D NAND...