Windows 10: "Email a code" settings question

Discus and support "Email a code" settings question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A few days ago, for some reason Windows asked me to provide my PIN to prove it was me, after I'd already been logged in for a while; never had this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tehuti88, Mar 7, 2021.

1. tehuti88 Win User

"Email a code" settings question

A few days ago, for some reason Windows asked me to provide my PIN to prove it was me, after I'd already been logged in for a while; never had this happen before, looked around online, saw some others have had this issue in the past and somebody suggested verifying the Microsoft account to fix it. I verified my account wasn't aware it hadn't been verified to try to avoid being randomly asked for my PIN in the future. All went normally. Well, today when turning on the computer it made the notification sound before I'd even logged in, it told me there was an issue with my Microsoft account "You probably changed your password"--no, I didn't and I needed to fix it. I went into the settings and clicked the button and it asked for my PIN...provided it, and all was supposedly well. I'm still not sure what the issue was, but apparently, verifying my account didn't fix whatever the thing is that randomly asks you for your PIN.

I've been browsing around my Microsoft account settings for a while now and noticed in the activity section my sign-in attempts; there were my last two successful ones...and three I don't recognize, not my IP address, not my location. They were unsuccessful so Windows said not to worry but it sure was nice of them not to tell me about any of these when they occurred! They're from back in February. I can't think of who would be trying to sign in to my account, or why; nobody has access to this computer but me. Maybe they're false positives or something? Anyway, at some point when I was fiddling with my security settings, Windows e-mailed me a code to put in to log in I had to do this when verifying my account. I did this, but checked the box saying to not ask for this again on this device...and now I can't find anywhere to revert this particular setting. Help keeps saying to go to your basic security settings and click "Update info" but there's no link on the page titled that. Just "Sign-in activity," "Password security," "Advanced security options," and "Stay secure with Windows 10." So...not sure what's next.

In "Advanced security options" when I go to the page it's instead titled "Additional security options", there are the various ways to prove who I am. There's my password, "Email a code" the option I believe I'm asking about, "Sign in with Samsung," and add a new way to sign in or verify. Okay. They all say they're up to date. "Receive alerts" for "Email a code" is turned on. I never got any alerts about those unsuccessful attempts but whatever. The only options for "Email a code" are "View activity" the page with the weird sign-in attempts and "Remove."

So...it looks like the e-mail a code thing is still turned on, even though I selected that option to stop asking me on this device. Am I right? If not, where do I go to turn it back on, so it does ask me for a code in the right circumstances? Like just now when I logged in to my security settings.

Info on the weird "We need to confirm it's really you, please randomly give us your PIN" prompts would be welcome, too. I thought verifying my account would prevent this but it seems to have complicated it.

:)

tehuti88, Mar 7, 2021
  2. Mark_W. Win User

Unwanted codes in email messages

Hello Nobleking:

Thank you for posting to the forum in regards to the issue you are having with codes included in your outgoing messages. This is certainly an odd behavior. At this point I have more questions then suggestions. Please provide the following details and
    we will follow up with some suggestions.

• What email service are you using when you send notice these codes, Live, Google, Outlook Exchange, etc...?
    • Are the codes attached to all of your outgoing emails?
    • If you send emails from another account, do you notice the same behavior?
    • Do you notice the same codes when you receive an email?
    • When did you first notice this behavior?
    • Did anything change at that time, a new service provider, a new email provider, an update of the phone, etc...?
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions or if any new information comes to light.

Mark W.

Mark_W., Mar 7, 2021
  3. unable to set up email on lumia 650 error code 0x80072efd

Let's continue working on this. We suggest you add your email account on your phone manually by following these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Tap Accounts.
    • Tap Email & app accounts.
    • Tap Add an account.
    • Tap Advanced setup.
    • Choose Internet email.
    • The next screen will ask for your account information. You need to input your email server which will be provided by your email provider. We suggest you contact them for assistance on how you can properly set up your account.
    • Once you got all the server settings set up, tap sign in.

Keep us posted for further assistance.

Regards.

Cristal Reg, Mar 7, 2021
  4. "Email a code" settings question

set email

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description, I am assuming that you are facing difficulties in setting up the PC with the Microsoft account.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed? (Type winver
      in Windows search/Run command)
    • Did you create a Microsoft account with double m in .com?
    • Do you have any other user account created on the PC?
    • When you say "typed in the current email we use but added an extra "m" on the .com" where did you type in the email with extra m?
    • When you say "now it sends codes to the incorrect email. how do we change it" are you referring to the alternate email where you get the code?

Scenario 1: If you are able to login to the PC with the account, then convert this account to a local Administrator account and then convert back to Microsoft Account with the correct
    email account.

Steps to covert to local account.

1. Press Windows + I key to open Settings.
    2. Select Accounts and click on Your info from the left pane.
    3. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    4. Click on Next. And follow the onscreen steps.
    Note: Don’t set a password.

Steps to covert to Microsoft Account.

1. Press Windows + I key to open Settings.
    2. Select Accounts and click on Your info from the left pane.
    3. Click on Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead.
    4. Click on Next. Enter the correct Microsoft Account.
    5. Follow the onscreen steps.

Scenario 2: If you have created an incorrect Microsoft account, e.g. Lxxxxxx@xxxxx.comm, then create a new Microsoft account. Refer this article on
    How to create a new Microsoft account

Let us know the results. We will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

"Email a code" settings question

1. "Email a code" settings question - Similar Threads - Email code settings

2. Questionable email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questionable email: I just received a Email today saying that my email will be deleted unless I click varification link, I think this is a scam and was wondering if it was from Microsoft or not havent clicked on the link yet....
  3. Questionable email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questionable email: I just received a Email today saying that my email will be deleted unless I click varification link, I think this is a scam and was wondering if it was from Microsoft or not havent clicked on the link yet....
  4. Question : closing of email ????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question : closing of email ????: Hello,Could you please tell me if this email is genuine?or a spam, or worst.Please let me know.Thank youJosianeFrom: Helpdesk Support <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>Sent: Monday, March 14, 2022 5:42 PMTo: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** <*** Email...
  5. Email hack question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Email hack question: It appears my aol account has been hijacked/hacked. I have run both McAfee and a malware scan. Any other recommendations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/email-hack-question/7d8c657a-d6dd-48ff-8498-f6a0fa11d8b0
  6. Setting up email - registrar admin contact email question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up email - registrar admin contact email question: Hello, I have a question related to this post. but some change.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-email-in-the-mail-app-for-windows-10-7ff79e8b-439b-4b47-8ff9-3f9a33166c60I got a domain setup and am using it with the site. The reason being that I would have a...
  7. Email Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Email Question: Dear Microsoft Community, I have a spare Windows 10 PC that I use for ecommerce tasks and a shipping label printer. I am using the Mail app and I would like to know if the below actions can be done automatically. Email received with attachment/attachments labels >...
  8. Email settings question

in Browsers and Email
    Email settings question: Hi, I was wondering if someone could verify this for me. When I setup my PC and phone, should the setting on both be the same on both the devices when it comes to both devices: Pop.xxxx.com smtp.xxxx.com one set up this way being my pc: pop.xxxx.com...
  9. Email question

in Browsers and Email
    Email question: We finally got a new Dell computer and installed MS Office 2010 using my old CD. The problem we now have is the older version of Home Office does not include Outlook [img] . The Office 2010 email program is the absolute minimum and certainly is not what we need (for contact...
  10. Email connection question

in Browsers and Email
    Email connection question: Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 I have used comcast.net server and Windows Live Mail for years. Just recently WLM stopped making a connection and delivered an error report. I had a chat with a Comcast agent and reviewed all my settings but no improvement. Thinking that...