Windows 10: Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app

Discus and support Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have windows 10. Previously in the people app when you clicked on a persons email you had the option to open the email in the mail app. Now when I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by kjdawson1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. kjdawson1 Win User

Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app

I have windows 10. Previously in the people app when you clicked on a persons email you had the option to open the email in the mail app. Now when I click on any persons email whether it is gmail or outlook et al, it no longer gives me a choice to open in the mail app.... rather it just opens up my browser. This is for every email address I have in the people app. One more thing for your clarification. The mail app is synced with the people app because when I insert a name in the "to" box, the email addresses from the contact list show up as options. So I don't think this is a syncing issue. The problem is that you can't use the people app to email anyone because all it does is open up a browser when you click on the emaill address in the people app. Any Suggestions?

:)

kjdawson1, Mar 2, 2017
  2. Chriso747 Win User

can't find my address and colntacts in my email in Windows

If your list of email addresses is in the People App, then when you click on an address, where does it open to? Usually it will be to the Mail App or to your Default Email program.

Chriso747, Mar 2, 2017
  3. Different Contacts appear in Mail App compared to People App or Live.com (Outlook.com)

I recently decided to try the Windows 10 Mail App (version 17.6416.42001.0) instead of using live.com (outlook.com) to do emails in a browser.

Today I tried to send an email to two addresses. In Mail one of the addresses was missing.

I opened the Windows 10 People app and quickly found both contacts including email addresses.

I opened live.com in a browser and was able to type in the names of both contacts and find their addresses, as normal.

Why does the Mail app not see all of the people in the People app? Can I fix this somehow?

X

XtremSolution, Mar 2, 2017
  4. Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app

Welcome to the TenForums @kjdawson1

Mine acts a little differently but basically the same, it asks me which browser I want to open. I can select the Mail app but on the next pass through I get the same request, what should I open. When I pick the mail app nothing happens.

I believe that if you install a real mail program little Outlook 2016 or Thunderbird it will open those mail programs.

Not sure why the built in app is not considered a true mail program in the sense of Outlook 2016, maybe it is so people will lease Office 365.

I would also guess that MS figured that since people can get to all addresses in "To:" box that this would be sufficient.

I don't have a fix other than installing one of the programs I mentioned above. I do not recommend Windows Live as support has ended so this would just be a stop gap.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 3, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    The Mail App and People App have had recent updates.

The People App here lost all contacts on mine, and settings > accounts had to be redone. That got them back fortunately.

Actually what you mention does work here (bit of a surprise there....).
    It comes up with "Choose which account to send the Email from", then you choose which account and the Mail App opens up appropriately.

So, I would go through your People App settings as using Webmail(Internet email) is an option in Advanced Setup.
    People App > Settings cog > + Add an Account > Advanced Setup.

It is very confusing. On mine only 3 accounts are listed, but the choose list has all 6 Accounts, hmmm.... what an MS mess up.

Helmut, Mar 3, 2017
  6. kjdawson1 Win User
    Thanks for confirming that this is not an issue with me Caledon, but it is an issue with the program. That helps. What surprises me is that Microsoft has not addressed this issue and more surprising is that there is very little comments on this issue on the internet. This is a productivity issue and should be addressed by Microsoft as soon as possible. What is also surprising is that Caledon and I have the same issue ( not quite but close) but Helmut seems to be able to send email through the people app. Helmut I deleted all accounts and then added them back in, but the issue still exists. This did not happen a few weeks ago, but it is happening now. I am assuming that an update to the mail and people app is doing this. But that does not help me. I cannot use the email address from any of my contacts in the people app to email them. All I get when I do that is a browser showing up. However, I can use the email app if I put their name in the TO Box which means that it is not a synching issue. Thanks to both of you for responding

kjdawson1, Mar 4, 2017
  7. kjdawson1 Win User
    Hi Again, I thought I would wait to see if updates would correct this issue but it has not. The link below is from Microsoft support and they give no mention to this problem. Here is the link to the help support that does not work. Again when you click on a email address from the people app, it is supposed to provide you an option to open the email app. It does not, all it does is send me to a browser. I have tested this on other computers and it does the same thing.All email addresses in the people app just open up in a browser. I am still facing this issue. Is anyone else?

Send email to a contact from the People app in Windows 10 - Office Support

kjdawson1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app

1. Email addresses in People app does not open up in the mail app - Similar Threads - Email addresses app

2. How to add an email address and name to Microsoft People app from Microsoft mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add an email address and name to Microsoft People app from Microsoft mail app: Hi guys, When I receive an email in the Microsoft email app, how do I add that email address and name to the Microsoft People app from the Microsoft email app. Kind regards jkeXZ...
  3. Mail App, People App and Calendar App

Mail App, People App and Calendar App: I posted this question in the mail section; maybe the wrong section as I got 0 replies; sorry for that. I am using Mail App, People App and Calendar App on my Microsoft Windows Home Edition 20H2 OS. In Mail I have 3 accounts: an Outlook.com account, an iCloud.com account and...
  4. Rogue email addresses in Windows10 Mail app

Rogue email addresses in Windows10 Mail app: I have been posting an issue on another forum regarding rogue email addresses in my contacts when i try to email myself in the To box, when starting to add my email address i see other addresses, some with long strings of data that are not mine. I have tried various things...
  5. People App Not Saving Emails And Not Syncing With Mail

People App Not Saving Emails And Not Syncing With Mail: Hi, I have been trying to make a group contact in the people app but it won't save the emails. It creates the contact card but it won't save the emails to it. When I create it it says the emails are there but then they disappear when I search for it later. Tried making just...
  6. People App and Email App.

People App and Email App.: I still do NOT understand the behavior of those two apps. They are supposed to work together don't they. This happened: a friend of mine informed that he changed his email address. I opened his name in the People app, but the old email address was not displayed, but was...
  7. Adding email addresses to W10 Mail App.

in Browsers and Email
    Adding email addresses to W10 Mail App.: I have just resurrected an old W10 version 1909 machine for a family member to use for email and browsing. I set up the Mail App for email and she can receive, send and reply to emails just fine. However, if she tries to send a new email she has to type in the complete...
  8. People App inserting backslashes after email addresses.

People App inserting backslashes after email addresses.: Hi everyone, I've created in the People App "group" contacts that look something like this for example: NAME EMAIL Group *** Email address is removed for privacy ***; *** Email address is removed for privacy ***; *** Email address is removed for privacy...
  9. syncing email address on mail app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    syncing email address on mail app: I managed to log in with the account but I was unable to sync my email address on Mail app with the error code 0x800700657. I tried to delete and re-setup the account, but it didn’t help....
  10. Cannot save email address from Mail app to People app

Cannot save email address from Mail app to People app: I am trying to add an email address from an existing email from the Windows 10 Mail app to the Windows 10 People app. I click the email adress, click OPEN CONTACT, click SAVE. It does not save. Instead, it opens my list of contacts and asks me to "Choose a contact". I have to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open up people app in mail