Windows 10: eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

Discus and support eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Robert11, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Robert11 Win User

eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

Hello,

In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit.
    Probably miss many of the nuances now.

Use Comcast for all eMails, etc.

Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended.

Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is apparently automatically
    also deleted from my Mac eMail (called "MAIL") if I delete from my iPhone.

Also apparently from my windows 10 pc eMails.

Should i change to a POP Account ?
    Advantages and Disadvantages of doing so ?

If I leave as the IMAP which it is now, any way of not having the msgs automatically
    deleted from my W10 pc if I delete from my iPhone ? (It's O.K. if deleted on Mac,).

How do you folks handle this ?

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Mar 18, 2020
  2. idgat Win User

I have my mail set up as both POP and IMAP (my internet service provider has that luxury, not all others do).

I identified my PC as my primary/master email storage, so that's set as IMAP. My phone and tablets are set POP, and the email clients (programs) are set to leave a copy of the email on the server after downloads. So when I delete an incoming email from the hand-held device, it's only deleted from the device and not from the mail server.

idgat, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Robert11 Win User

Hello,

In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit.
    Probably miss many of the nuances now.

Use Comcast for all eMails, etc.

Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended.

Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is apparently automatically
    also deleted from my Mac eMail (called "MAIL") if I delete from my iPhone.

Also apparently from my windows 10 pc eMails.

Should i change to a POP Account ?
    Advantages and Disadvantages of doing so ?

If I leave as the IMAP which it is now, any way of not having the msgs automatically
    deleted from my W10 pc if I delete from my iPhone ? (It's O.K. if deleted on Mac,).

How do you folks handle this ?

Thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Mar 18, 2020
  4. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

Hi Bob.

IMAP is best.

With IMAP your mail is actually staying on the server, you are seeing your mail through one of your clients (MAC email, Win 10 email, iphone mail). One key element of this is the server is backed up by provider. If you create folders on servers they show on all devices and again provider does backups.

If you use personal folders on a device you are responsible for the backups.

IMAP keeps all the views consistent. If you read on phone it shows read everywhere else. If you file it it becomes filed in all your other clients since it was filed on server.

The ability to keep these views consistent is the delete function. If you delete junk on one device it is removed from all.

Just stop deleting mail until you no longer need it. So read on phone and leave it. Action on Mac, or where ever, and if you want to delete then delete it.

Another nice thing if you have an issue with mail you can delete app and when you re-install and connect everything is restored.

Using pop means you mail isn't kept synced. You delete on phone then you have to delete two more times on 10 mail and Mac mail. Same with read.

If you file an email in a folder that is not on server in pop mode the only place you will ever be able to see the email is in that client and again you have to do backups.

With POP you you can set how long it stays on server, some just keep forever. The downfall to this is that when you set up new device you will get all mail on server, including all the junk you thought you deleted. I've seen folks download 4000 odd emails because the got a new phone.

Hope this makes sense.

Caledon Ken, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ? - Similar Threads - eMail Deletions POP

2. Thunderbird question - imap vs pop

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird question - imap vs pop: I have downloaded Thunderbird and have watched an install video. I do have a question tho. If I understand correctly, it is an imap function (correct word?) rather than a POP. I guess you can choose either but it sounds like imap creates a copy of the emails on a server not...
  3. How to delete IMAP/POP password in Outlook & print contacts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete IMAP/POP password in Outlook & print contacts: FIRST: I’m running Office Home and Business 2019 on a Windows 10Home 20H2 64 bit on an HP Envy laptop. I programmed my Comcast email to automatically communicatewith my stand-alone Outlook 2019 by telling Outlook my Comcast email password. Long story short, my email was...
  4. emails - windows 10 imap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    emails - windows 10 imap: I cannot delete messages from my deleted folder in windows 10 imap. Can someone tell me how to do it. thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/emails-windows-10-imap/e30a102f-5ebe-47b1-ab75-95909b4b49cc
  5. windows 10 imap email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 imap email: I would like to make and print a list of the names, addresses, phone numbers in my people contact file. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-imap-email/d4470ddb-0493-494a-88f8-3b22b3c7f81a
  6. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

in Windows 10 Support
    eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?: Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended. Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is...
  7. Cannot Delete IMAP Folder

Cannot Delete IMAP Folder: I've tried repeatedly to delete an IMAP folder and failed - the folder keeps reappearing. I,ve also tried to unsubscribe to the folder - outlook comes back with the an error message "Folder does not exist" (see attached screenshot) How do I permanently delete the...
  8. New imap email

in Windows 10 Customization
    New imap email: Hi I am running a second email and following a message to say the email has been set up I then get a message to say my details are out of date. I then try to reset the password and it still keeps coming up with Action Required. Can you help....
  9. Problems with IMAP email syc

Problems with IMAP email syc: Sync message: We couldn't access you account: AOL/***. You might need to update your password or update the account permission to sync. This happens after I sync and start reading my mail from this account. All settings for these accounts are correct. Now, when setting up...
  10. email switch from pop to imap

in Windows 10 Customization
    email switch from pop to imap: Do I really need to make the switch from POP to IMAP as Xfinity has stated? If so, then I may need help making this switch. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!...