Windows 10: Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it

Discus and support Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, So around an hour ago when I was watching TV, I had an email pop through on my phone which was obviously a scam email from PayPal giving me my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GeorgeHotten, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it

Hello,

So around an hour ago when I was watching TV, I had an email pop through on my phone which was obviously a scam email from PayPal giving me my 'daily report'. This was at around 20:43. Please note I did not open this email on my phone, let alone my PC.

Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it 81b7da9b-feb3-47dc-ab75-40efa2e24474?upload=true.png

this is the notification from my computer, I had already cleared the one on my phone again, I never opened this

Around an hour later when I come back to my PC, I see this notification from Avast:

Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it 5b304408-d0da-476c-8ac7-b773bb198522?upload=true.png

After doing some digging, I found the application "HxTsr" is a program for Outlook communications. To be safe, I went and checked the time this file was flagged:

Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it 5d429bfd-e493-4f44-b918-7b49f9df2240?upload=true.png

20:44. Just 1 minute after the email was received on my device.

The fact this is a pdf document and the fact that I was receiving a 'daily report' seems all too convenient. And the timing as well.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find out why this was able to get on my PC? if this was even the cause?

Regards,

George

EDIT: After looking at my emails on my outlook, the file that was on my PC has the same name as the one that was on the email. Once again I didn't open the attachment nor the email itself. Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it 6911fec1-ceae-4b0e-9e1c-fdba6681f541?upload=true.png

:)

GeorgeHotten, Apr 28, 2020

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it

Notepad automatically opening when ABA file downloaded

Hi Fiona,

We suggest that you follow these steps to uncheck the Always open this type of file:

• Right click on an ABA file.
    • Hover your mouse cursor on Open with and select Choose another app.
    • Uncheck the Always open this type of file and click on
      OK
    Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it

1. Email is able to download files onto my PC without me even opening it - Similar Threads - Email able download

2. Automatically logging onto an unloadable kiosk account without being able to log onto the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically logging onto an unloadable kiosk account without being able to log onto the...: I curiously made an assigned access kiosk account with Edge as its app. After I logged out and tried logging onto the kiosk account, it said that the user profile service and in other tries it said ProfSvc failed and I cannot use the account at all. After I logged out, I saw...
  3. Automatically logging onto an unloadable kiosk account without being able to log onto the...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Automatically logging onto an unloadable kiosk account without being able to log onto the...: I curiously made an assigned access kiosk account with Edge as its app. After I logged out and tried logging onto the kiosk account, it said that the user profile service and in other tries it said ProfSvc failed and I cannot use the account at all. After I logged out, I saw...
  4. Automatically logging onto an unloadable kiosk account without being able to log onto the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I am only able to open one download. Even when I close it, I cannot open a second without...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am only able to open one download. Even when I close it, I cannot open a second without...: I am only able to open one download. After closing it, I have to reboot computer before being able to open another download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-only-able-to-open-one-download-even-when-i/b4bb1f59-3280-4e1c-bccb-16f3deaefbea
  6. I am only able to open one download. Even when I close it, I cannot open a second without...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am only able to open one download. Even when I close it, I cannot open a second without...: I am only able to open one download. After closing it, I have to reboot computer before being able to open another download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-only-able-to-open-one-download-even-when-i/b4bb1f59-3280-4e1c-bccb-16f3deaefbea
  7. I am only able to open one download. Even when I close it, I cannot open a second without...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unusual File Came on my PC without me downloading it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unusual File Came on my PC without me downloading it: Hello,I opened my pc after 4 days. And after that, I see a file called DESKTOP on my desktop. I heard that we should not open files which came into desktop without you permission. So I did not open. But it automatically opened itself. In the content, it shows; Below is the...
  9. I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...: I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your updates were installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-open-downloaded-files-without-saving/147d725b-3d1c-42b2-9bd6-7c77d6b53ec6
  10. Trouble downloading itunes onto my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trouble downloading itunes onto my PC: I can't find itunes anywhere on my PC so I tried to download it and it says I have it, then it gives me this message: " Where do you want to install? It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device...