Windows 10: Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address

Discus and support Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On all PCs, Android and iOS tablets, and Android phones, many of my links in emails (I use Microsoft Mail, Outlook.com and Gmail) haven't worked for 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nortonian, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Nortonian Win User

Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address

On all PCs, Android and iOS tablets, and Android phones, many of my links in emails (I use Microsoft Mail, Outlook.com and Gmail) haven't worked for 3 days. The broken ones all have my Hub IP Address and a few more words before "_url=http:// . . ." (then what I assume is the address where I SHOULD have been sent to; deleting the bit before the "=" sign doesn't work.)
    Have 'factory reset' router myself, as well as under control of BT Helpdesk, and in fact they eventually sent out a new router (Home Hub 5) today, but the problem still exists.
    Problem MAYBE caused by me switching on BT Web Protect for a few hours but I then cancelled it again as it was not the thing I wanted. It is the only event I can remember which involved any of this stuff. I also switched OFF Parental Controls which I have had running for years.
    Since it affects so many different devices and email clients, and it presumably isn't the router, is the problem at my ISP i.e. BT? (I have had 5 or 6 calls to them in the last 3 days.)
    Some links work OK. But even Verification emails where you just have to click a button in the email to confirm something still take me to the BT Hub Welcome page.

My desktop PC is wired to the router, but everything else is wireless.

Any clues?

Cheers,

:)

Nortonian, Jul 27, 2019

2. does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to ISP by IANA?

does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to ISP by IANA?

Moreover, does each of these routers have NAT or PAT ability? if yes, who decides that one router has to perform PAT or NAT?

KARANBIRSINGH2, Jul 27, 2019
  3. DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

The router - in its capacity as a DHCP server - is providing internal IP addresses, for use on your LAN. The question around whether a static internal IP address is an alternative isn't really one for the ISP - they have no bearing or governance/authority on how you choose to assign devices IP addresses within your network. In my experience with ISPs here in the UK, they'll most likely tell you not to change it - or just not know what you are referring to.

The ISP provides a public-facing IP address, which is likely dynamic, but this has nothing to do with the internal IP addresses. That IP address is used by a device to identify itself to other devices on the network - including the router itself. The router then sends that devices requests out to the internet via the gateway.

Basically: save yourself the hassle of contacting your ISP and try and set the IP addresses for those devices manually. If you're unsure on which settings to use, do a quick "ipconfig /all" via CMD, make a note of the IPv4 address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers and then use those to manually input the settings as necessary.

maconnolly, Jul 27, 2019
  4. Mr Morgan Win User

DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

Thanks to the respondents.

As the router is acting as DHCP server, I need to check with my ISP and to see if they suggest static IP addresses as an alternative to the current dynamic renewal that occurs every so often.

As for the switch, this must be logical somewhere on the network because there is no obvious hardware for it.

I will post more details here as and when.

Mr Morgan, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address - Similar Threads - Email Links redirected

2. Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address: My ISP recently changed out my cable modem and new router eero Pro. When I try to publish any one of the 40+ websites I manage I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1.xx only to 149.76.203.106 500" If I query "what is my ip address" through a search...
  3. Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expression Web 4 not converting local IP address to my ISP's IP address: My ISP recently changed out my cable modem and new router eero Pro. When I try to publish any one of the 40+ websites I manage I get an error saying "I won't open a connection to 192.168.1.xx only to 149.76.203.106 500" If I query "what is my ip address" through a search...
  4. My username is an Email address that linked to my previous ISP. How can I change that...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My username is an Email address that linked to my previous ISP. How can I change that...: I want to change my Windows account username. It is currently an email address that will be closed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-username-is-an-email-address-that-linked-to-my/efc472b6-7d5e-4581-b1a1-eda121d8270f
  5. My username is an Email address that linked to my previous ISP. How can I change that...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My username is an Email address that linked to my previous ISP. How can I change that...: I want to change my Windows account username. It is currently an email address that will be closed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-username-is-an-email-address-that-linked-to-my/efc472b6-7d5e-4581-b1a1-eda121d8270f
  6. Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address

in Browsers and Email
    Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address: On all PCs, Android and iOS tablets, and Android phones, many of my links in emails (I use Microsoft Mail, Outlook.com and Gmail) haven't worked for 3 days. The broken ones all have my Hub IP Address and a few more words before "_url=http:// . . ." (then what I assume is the...
  7. does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to...: does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to ISP by IANA? Moreover, does each of these routers have NAT or PAT ability? if yes, who decides that one router has to perform PAT or NAT?...
  8. DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied: Hello I wonder if anyone can advise concerning a series of messages appearing in the logs of my two networked computers? Examples of the messages: ON ALPHA: The IP address lease 192.168.0.3 for the Network Card with network address 0x0024E8F1F44F has been denied...
  9. How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!

How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!: Hello all brothers/sisters, Greetings to all! I am newbie here. I am looking for Router IP Address for my Mac. How can I do that? Though I started reading articles from online. And found few good articles like How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Windows and Mac) |...
  10. Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?

Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?: If I switch my current modem router for a new one, would my PC's IP address change or stay the same? Is this my public IP address my cable company assigns me? Would this public address change when switching to a new router? 80099