Windows 10: email matching with certificates

Discus and support email matching with certificates in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; To Whom: I was asked to re-post my issue here. Microsoft has previous answers to turning off e-mail matching for certificates in Outlook. However,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Charliethetuna18, Dec 23, 2020.

1. email matching with certificates

To Whom:

I was asked to re-post my issue here.

Microsoft has previous answers to turning off e-mail matching for certificates in Outlook. However, the recommendations are for versions 2003 thru 2013. For Outlook 365 with Windows 10, I cannot find how toturn-off name checking. The registry key used to be called SupressNameChecks and was located at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\xx.0\Outlook\Security wherexx is your office version.

For windows 10 with outlook 365, setting this registry key here has no affect. Can someone please tell me where to edit the registry?

Also, from a security standpoint, many people need certs for identity validation andemail address matching is NOT required or needed.

:)

Charliethetuna18, Dec 23, 2020

2. N8 certificates not trusted/don't match the name

Well I worked out for myself how to verify the certificates are genuine:

• Using a desktop computer
    • Go to the page with the certificates
    • Select a certificate
    • It will say either:
      • Certificate already exists - this confirms that the certificate on the website matches one already in your browser, which we already trust, therefore the certificate on the website is trustworthy
      • Asks if you want to install the certificate, DON'T.
        • First view the certificate details.
        • Copy the certificate serial number or SHA1/SHA256/MD5/etc hash
        • Paste this into a search engine
        • If another website that you trust lists the certificate, e.g. your phone manufacturer or another trusted website (preferably a secure website, therefore you have confidence the website is genuine), then you can trust the certificate
        • If no trustworthy sites are returned in the search then try another hash or serial number
        • If you can't find any trustworthy sites listing the certificate then I suggest you don't trust it.
    • Finally, if you decide you trust a certificate then you can download and install on your phone.

CurvyClover488, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Sheldrick Win User
    email certificates on e6 after belle update

Dear Pastmac, Welcome to the Nokia forums, sorry youa re having this frustrating problem!

Some email providers provide secure email connections using the same type of SSL connection commonly used to provide secure web site connections for banking or online purchases.

SSL connections use Certificates to establish what is called Trust between the program being used (web browser, email client, or other type of application) and the server. For the trust to be automatic, the client program must be able to validate
    the Certificate that the server has. If the client program cannot validate the Certificate of the server, it will report a
    Missing Certificate error.

A server's Certificate can be of two types:

• Self-signed Certificate
    • Certification Authority (CA)-signed Certificate
    A Self-signed Certificate is created using a Certificate generating program, without needing to go to an outside agency. This is fast and inexpensive, but requires additional steps to use, because client programs cannot validate such a certificate
    without information they do not have.

The only way to allow the device to validate a self-signed certificate is to install the certificate on the device. To do this, browse to a secure web page using the same certificate (normally hosted on the same server, such as a secure web
    mail page in the case of a certificate for an email server) and accept the certificate when prompted what to do with it. Normally, you will also be asked what to allow it to be used for. Accepting all the uses is normally safe, and will allow email to work
    as well.

A Certification Authority-signed certificate is created using a Certificate generating program just like the self-signed Certificate, but is then sent to a Certification Authority. The Certification Authority adds their own digital signature
    to the Certificate. This allows the client application to test that the certificate has not been altered since the Certification Authority signed it, and so it can be trusted automatically without further difficulties.

You can still get the same error, however. This is because the client application needs to have a special Certificate (called a Root Certificate) from the Certification Authority in order to determine that the digital signature on a Certificate
    is valid. There are many different Certification Authorities, each which may have several different Root Certificates with different properties for different purposes. Not all devices automatically have all valid Root Certificates from all Certification
    Authorities. In addition, all Certificates have expiry dates beyond which they are no longer trusted. (Eventually, this will cause a device which is not receiving firmware updates to experience this error for all secure connections using SSL.)

If a Certification Authority-signed Certificate is not accepted, there are two ways to correct the issue:

• As with a self-signed certificate, surf to a secure web page on the same server, and accept the certificate. The certificate will then be trusted and treated as valid.
    • Install the Root Certificate that the CA used to sign the Certificate. You will need to find out which CA it is from the site operators.

I hope this helps

Sheldrick, Dec 23, 2020
  4. mariusmaz Win User

email matching with certificates

email certificates on e6 after belle update

sheldrick, sorry but what you are saying here is **bleep**. I have the same problem on my E7-00 after updating to Belle. I could understand if it had problems with certificates from some obscure email provider, but it does not accept the certificates from
    Gmail, Yahoo and 1and1.

This is obvously a bug in Belle, that needs to be addressed. Even if the certificate is not up to date, as the message says, we should be able to accept the certificate permanently, not just 'this time only' every 5 minutes.

The steps you describe do not apply to mail - since all we get is the message, not a certificate with a web address, so we can accept it as you suggest.

mariusmaz, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

email matching with certificates

1. email matching with certificates - Similar Threads - email matching certificates

2. Find email address for the AZ 104 certification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find email address for the AZ 104 certification: Had completed AZ104 in 09june2022 certification but i forget the email address associated with it. My Certification number is I302-0940. Help to get my email address so that i can go for renewal....
  3. Find email address for the AZ 104 certification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find email address for the AZ 104 certification: Had completed AZ104 in 09june2022 certification but i forget the email address associated with it. My Certification number is I302-0940. Help to get my email address so that i can go for renewal....
  4. Cannot connect to Windows Server VPN with error "The certificate's CN name does not match...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to Windows Server VPN with error "The certificate's CN name does not match...: Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question, i'm not sure where else to go for answers at this point. I am using Win Server 2019, and have tried setting up a VPN server for remote connection through SSTP. I cannot connect to the VPN for some reason, every time I...
  5. Cannot connect to Windows Server VPN with error "The certificate's CN name does not match...

Cannot connect to Windows Server VPN with error "The certificate's CN name does not match...: Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question, i'm not sure where else to go for answers at this point. I am using Win Server 2019, and have tried setting up a VPN server for remote connection through SSTP. I cannot connect to the VPN for some reason, every time I...
  6. Strong Certificate Matching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  7. Strong Certificate Matching

Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  8. Certificates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certificates: Anyone know what would block a certificate from being sent through a third party software? I use DoD certificates to connect to a website and can do so successfully using IE, Firefox, or Chrome. But if I try to connect to the site using Webinspect, Burp, or Zap it gives me...
  9. Name and email shown on sent emails don't match and it's a problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Name and email shown on sent emails don't match and it's a problem: I use Microsoft Windows 10 on my Desktop computer and have the Mail inboxes with all my companies different email addresses. When I attempt to send a message from one of my colleagues and in the settings it shows his name to send from, the email goes out with my name but his...
  10. Problem with certificate for my web email

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with certificate for my web email: I know I have the correct settings. I keep getting a message saying that there is a problem with the certificate with my isp email account on windows 10. How can I fix this? I've deleted the account and re-added it back on. I've double-checked the settings and they're fine....