Windows 10: Email scams can cost Millions of dollars !!!

Discus and support Email scams can cost Millions of dollars !!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi folks To all those who go to the "ultimate" extreme with A/V software etc - it's SCAMMING these days (also at a relatively low level of tech) which... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, Sep 28, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Email scams can cost Millions of dollars !!!

Hi folks

To all those who go to the "ultimate" extreme with A/V software etc - it's SCAMMING these days (also at a relatively low level of tech) which is what you should be concentrating on - rather than worry about things like Malwarebytes / other 3rd party A/V solutions - especially the Free versions -- Windows 10 WD (together with the real time protection) on current releases of Windows is absolutely good enough on HOME type machines.

Anyway have a read of this from the BBC -- shows how a simple email scam can cost a business MILLIONS of dollars !!!!

Spoofing emails: The trickery costing businesses billions - BBC News

My view is that if some of these 3rd party AV suppliers would start on developing decent A.I (Artificial Intelligence) algorithms to attempt to pick up on these types of scams which don't involve malware / viruses etc rather than still mess around trying to develop 20th century solutions for 21 century realities then they will be fine -- but at the individual level currently NONE of these products is worth using if you've got latest builds of W10 properly updated and WD (now called to be called Windows Protector in the latest builds) and use common sense in surfing you'll be just fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 28, 2019
  2. babybanks Win User

N97 Million Dollar Poker problem.

Ok I didnt word the last one very well...

How would I re-download the million dollar poker software I have already bought once which froze and I needed to uninstall it?

It's ok but not worth paying for it twice!

Thanks

Heidi

babybanks, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Is the "Microsoft Rewards" program a scam?

That likely is a scam emailing pretending to be Microsoft's reward program. I got an email from FedEx yesterday telling me I won a MacBook Pro and iPhone 8 including 6.4 million dollars and I just need to contact them to collect my prize.

Andre for Directly, Sep 28, 2019
  4. BobBarr Win User

New steam scam/Phising attempt

did you forward it to valve? i know someone on my friends list that sent them an email about a scam thing some time ago and was rewarded =D

BobBarr, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Email scams can cost Millions of dollars !!! - Similar Threads - Email scams cost

2. Scam emails

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scam emails: I received an email from this address id it real?*** Email address is removed for privacy *** help is good https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scam-emails/143b0392-bb05-42bd-accc-6d6e6586a664
  3. Scam Email??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scam Email??: I revived this email however I DID Not Renew or Sign Up for Anything. I'm thinking it is a Scam. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scam-email/7586457e-1f75-46d0-991a-33466a9cc526
  4. Windows defender scam costing 200.00 to renew

Windows defender scam costing 200.00 to renew: I received an email minutes ago telling me I was being charged $200 to renew Windows Defender...and I had to call a given number to dispute the charge - which I did, having no memory of ordering it. The Indian guy on the other end wanted to take me through along process...
  5. Scam email

Scam email: On Wed., 1 Jul. 2020 at 12:38 p.m., Auto-Renewal <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> wrote: Hi, Your subscription for Windows Defender has been successfully renewed and updated. PRODUCT INFORMATION Product Name Windows Defender Firewall Order Date...
  6. Scam email

Scam email: Hello, I keep getting the email below, which I know is a scam and it said your password is and said wha my password was but not the full passworj as th one it said was not right Everything on the web says that it is a scam and Thank you for your help....
  7. email scam?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    email scam?: I've been receiving emails stating my Windows10 will expire soon. Is this a legit email? Also is there a phone number for support? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-scam/fd20a1ff-bf69-4278-8089-b23decf709dd
  8. email scam

email scam: I received an email saying my Windows License Key got expired and has been infected with a spyware. Pretty sure this is a scam. Do you want me to forward the email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-scam/3568f12c-39d7-4002-b6d4-348d0db94140"
  9. Scam email

Scam email: I received an email which had a friends name at the top. It had a download click on. I went and clicked on it but suddenly got suspicious. So I click on my friends name at the top. It wasn't her, it was from this address which I don't know, *** Email address is removed for...
  10. Scam email?

Scam email?: I received the following unsolicited email. Is this a scam/phishing? Microsoft account password reset Inbox x [ATTACH] Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> Nov 19, 2018, 4:28 PM (7 days ago) [IMG] [IMG] to me [IMG] Microsoft account...