Windows 10: email switch from pop to imap

Discus and support email switch from pop to imap in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Do I really need to make the switch from POP to IMAP as Xfinity has stated? If so, then I may need help making this switch. Any assistance will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SharonDukeman1, Sep 5, 2018.

1. email switch from pop to imap

Do I really need to make the switch from POP to IMAP as Xfinity has stated? If so, then I may need help making this switch. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!

:)

SharonDukeman1, Sep 5, 2018

2. Cannot add secondary email.

Hi ICIT2LOL

Here is a link to Telstra setup instructions. I checked out a few. One on Outlook.com is wrong, it is telling you how to set up Outlook the program that comes with Office.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/c...l-email-set-up

I would use the instructions under IMAP, POP and SMTP information for manual setup. I copied the IMAP settings

IMAP, POP and SMTP information for manual email setup

Telstra Mail (new) email settings - IMAP

If you are a new customer who has taken up a broadband service with Telstra on or after 21st April 2016, or you have been notified by Telstra that your email address has been moved to the new Telstra MailTM, the below settings for manual email setup will apply to you.
    Telstra Mail recommends using IMAP however POP is available to use as alternate preference to IMAP. It’s a good idea to back up your email data before changing your email settings.

What is the difference between IMAP & POP?

IMAP and POP are two different protocols (methods) used to access email. Of the two, IMAP is the recommended option when you need to check your emails from multiple devices as IMAP always syncs with Telstra email servers.
    Please note, IMAP is only available for customers using the new Telstra Mail platform
    A good example of the difference is when you read your emails. If you’re using IMAP and mark an email as “read”, it also gets marked as read in all of your other inboxes. This won’t happen with POP as emails are downloaded to your specific computer or device and any changes you make on that device won’t be reflected in the Telstra servers and across other devices or computers.
    If you’re switching from using POP to IMAP you’ll need to be mindful that any folders set up with POP will be lost when you change to IMAP. To keep these folders, we recommend logging into Webmail and re-creating them before transferring.

IMAP settings for Telstra Mail™

IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers
    Account type

• Account type: IMAP
    Incoming server details

• Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
    • Incoming server port: 993
    • Encrypted connection: SSL
    Outgoing server details

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
    • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
    • SMTP authentication: On
    • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
    Username & Password

• Enter your full email address (ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com’)
    • Enter your Telstra email account password (case sensitive)
    Other settings to check

• Ensure the checkbox is ticked for ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’.

They also have settings for directly using their portal on the Web.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Emails won't delete

Here are a few suggestions.

• Have you set up your email as a POP account. If you are not sure, call up your mail provider and ask them.
    • In all probability your email service will be POP. Ask them to change it to IMAP and then get the IMAP settings. Use the IMAP settings to setup email on your phone and we are done!

Jay_answers, Sep 5, 2018
  4. bpgt64 Win User

email switch from pop to imap

Outlook 2010 and iphone4 email questions!!

He's using POP instead of IMAP. IMAP synchronizes the same mailbox at multiple machines, where as POP delivers it to which ever device requests data from the server first. IMAP is the best option for using multiple machines. I use Outlook using Imap at work, an Thunderbird using Imap at my Linux box at home, and w/e Imap mail setup my Iphone 4 uses. 3 different machines, same email.

bpgt64, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

email switch from pop to imap

1. email switch from pop to imap - Similar Threads - email switch pop

2. Thunderbird question - imap vs pop

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird question - imap vs pop: I have downloaded Thunderbird and have watched an install video. I do have a question tho. If I understand correctly, it is an imap function (correct word?) rather than a POP. I guess you can choose either but it sounds like imap creates a copy of the emails on a server not...
  3. emails - windows 10 imap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    emails - windows 10 imap: I cannot delete messages from my deleted folder in windows 10 imap. Can someone tell me how to do it. thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/emails-windows-10-imap/e30a102f-5ebe-47b1-ab75-95909b4b49cc
  4. windows 10 imap email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 imap email: I would like to make and print a list of the names, addresses, phone numbers in my people contact file. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-imap-email/d4470ddb-0493-494a-88f8-3b22b3c7f81a
  5. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

in Browsers and Email
    eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?: Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended. Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is...
  6. eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?

in Windows 10 Support
    eMail Deletions, And POP vs IMAP ?: Hello, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Probably miss many of the nuances now. Use Comcast for all eMails, etc. Have the Account, I think, set up as a IMAP, which was recommended. Problem is, if an eMail comes in, and I see it first on my iPhone, it is...
  7. Outlook will not sync all emails from IMAP folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook will not sync all emails from IMAP folders: Hello, I have a new Windows 10 installation with a new installation of Office 2019. I have 3 email accounts which2 of them seem to work fine and import all old messages. The Gmail account does not download all the old messages. It goes through the process of syncing and all...
  8. New imap email

in Windows 10 Customization
    New imap email: Hi I am running a second email and following a message to say the email has been set up I then get a message to say my details are out of date. I then try to reset the password and it still keeps coming up with Action Required. Can you help....
  9. Problem after switching outlook account from POP to IMAP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem after switching outlook account from POP to IMAP: I switched my email application from POP to IMAP. I now have a new account showing in the connections display. All emails now go to the new account. However, my calendar, contacts and save messages are going to the old account. How do I fix this so all of the previous...
  10. Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird: Switch POP to identical IMAP profiles on 2 computers: I have Thunderbird on 2 computers & have a POP profile on both. I want to switch to IMAP & make sure that the profile names are identical on both computers. If I change POP to IMAP on 1 computer first, how do I make sure that the IMAP profile I create on the 2nd computer is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. telstra bigpond.net email setup windows 10