Windows 10: EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

Discus and support EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't believe it, but this bug has existed since Windows 7and persists in Windows 10 in 2021. If you copy an EML file email format files with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by adamAmiga0, Jan 28, 2021.

1. EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

I can't believe it, but this bug has existed since Windows 7and persists in Windows 10 in 2021. If you copy an EML file email format files with extension *.eml,Windows will change the modified date to the current date and time. So, if yousort your directories by date, these files will appear "newer" thanthey are.

Obviously, if you rely on this information to determine whena file was actually created. Never mind that it is wrong and fortunately doesn'tseem to happen for other file types.

The solution remains the same for all versions of Windows.

1. Control Panel
    2. Indexing Options
    3. Advanced button
    4. File Types tab
    5. Uncheck EML file type

EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10 94f8f6f6-f5bf-4920-807e-a10de95d7631?upload=true.jpg

As you close out, the index will rebuild. And the next timeyou copy an EML file, its date won't change.

I post this as a new message although you'll find otherthreads discussing it and all the ones I looked at are locked. I want a recentlydated thread so people who encounter this issue can quickly find a solution.

:)

adamAmiga0, Jan 28, 2021

2. eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

following on from this old thread about eml files

Why do .EML files modified date change on mouseover??

I've had some strange issues regarding email "Date"... Have been copying some eml files from a backup folder into an email client (Thunderbird).

I know some people were previously concerned about the file attributes create/modified times but I'm 99% I don't care about these. What I care about are the "Date" attribues in the eml files themselves (this is used by email clients/web clients to order
    the emails for example).

Is there any way that Windows can affect the "Date" field within said eml files? I am sure it cannot. The reason I am asking is because on testing that the eml file restoration will work we have seen one occassion whem the email date has been
    changed to timenow. I have no idea what can have done this and am having trouble repeating it. If I can confirm that Windows itself does not change data (specifically the Message Header Date) in an eml file then we can assume its the mail client
    ..or something.. that is messing us around. Thanks. Ian

Computerabber, Jan 28, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

Try rt clicking an eml file, Open With, and carefully follow through the several steps to assign your chosen program completely as default.

Also try

EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Set this program as default (but in your case for Mailbird). (Or the equivalent in Settings)

Note that eml files are not a default file type in Windows (i.e. not in the relevant Tutorial list here Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ) i.e. teh file type has to be established by a program.

Also make sure this is set correctly:

EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(or the equivalent in the Control Panel)

dalchina, Jan 28, 2021
  4. EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

file associations and eml files

There was some program which opened .eml tutorial files before file association was changed.

Is that program listed in Open with submenu of Context menu for .eml files? (Open a folder with your .eml files with File Explorer, right click an .eml file, select
    Open with in context menu, and see the 'Open with' submenu).

If the program is listed:

Select Choose another app in Open with submenu.

In How do you open such file list/dialog, select the desired program, check 'Always use this app to open .eml files' checkbox, and press 'OK' screen button.

Sergiy Shklyar, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

1. EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - EML File Dates

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. .eml files found by Windows 10 search can only me copied, not moved.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .eml files found by Windows 10 search can only me copied, not moved.: The files are my e-mail archive, and not related to any e-mail program. If they are found by Windows Search in Explorer, I can only copy them, but not move. This seems to be a bug. The usage case is obvious: I buld download the .eml files from time to time from various IMAP...
  5. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  6. Easily copy files without changing file dates

Easily copy files without changing file dates: Another really annoying issue. I, like so many others if not everyone, want to copy files with Explorer and keep the original file dates. So simple and basic but it seems I have use e.g. Robocopy or some other third party command line process. Why can't Explorer "just do...
  7. What is EML File?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is EML File?: I got Error Message 0x800707780 EML File----What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-eml-file/b6709c34-5418-4168-bc40-d7b90bc7b0be
  8. EML (.eml) Files

EML (.eml) Files: I have several .eml files saved to "Documents". While these will open with "Mail" there does not seem to be any option to "Print". Previously I had had these open with "Windows Live Mail" but this is no longer an option after latest update. Present option is to use EML -->...
  9. eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date): following on from this old thread about eml files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/why-do-eml-files-modified-date-change-on-mouseover/d6b92680-9200-4731-932f-b45c0c8187dd I've had some strange issues regarding email "Date"... Have been...
  10. Import .EML files to Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Import .EML files to Windows 10 Mail: Hello I have .eml files stored on disk but outside of Windows 10 Mail. I need to import them into Windows 10 Mail. If I double-click one of them, Windows 10 Mail opens the email in a separate window with no action options. It appears to be simply a reader program. The...