Windows 10: eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

Discus and support eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; following on from this old thread about eml files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Computerabber, Aug 11, 2019.

1. eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

following on from this old thread about eml files

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ouseover/d6b92680-9200-4731-932f-b45c0c8187dd

I've had some strange issues regarding email "Date"... Have been copying some eml files from a backup folder into an email client (Thunderbird).

I know some people were previously concerned about the file attributes create/modified times but I'm 99% I don't care about these. What I care about are the "Date" attribues in the eml files themselves (this is used by email clients/web clients to order the emails for example).

Is there any way that Windows can affect the "Date" field within said eml files? I am sure it cannot. The reason I am asking is because on testing that the eml file restoration will work we have seen one occassion whem the email date has been changed to timenow. I have no idea what can have done this and am having trouble repeating it. If I can confirm that Windows itself does not change data (specifically the Message Header Date) in an eml file then we can assume its the mail client ..or something.. that is messing us around. Thanks. Ian

:)

Computerabber, Aug 11, 2019

2. file associations and eml files

There was some program which opened .eml tutorial files before file association was changed.

Is that program listed in Open with submenu of Context menu for .eml files? (Open a folder with your .eml files with File Explorer, right click an .eml file, select
    Open with in context menu, and see the 'Open with' submenu).

If the program is listed:

Select Choose another app in Open with submenu.

In How do you open such file list/dialog, select the desired program, check 'Always use this app to open .eml files' checkbox, and press 'OK' screen button.

Sergiy Shklyar, Aug 11, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

Try rt clicking an eml file, Open With, and carefully follow through the several steps to assign your chosen program completely as default.

Also try

eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date) [​IMG]

Set this program as default (but in your case for Mailbird). (Or the equivalent in Settings)

Note that eml files are not a default file type in Windows (i.e. not in the relevant Tutorial list here Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ) i.e. teh file type has to be established by a program.

Also make sure this is set correctly:

eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date) [​IMG]

(or the equivalent in the Control Panel)

dalchina, Aug 11, 2019
  4. jayeel Win User

eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

file associations and eml files

This is a somewhat naive question but I have been trying for two days to find the answer and I don't know where else to look.

Two days ago I accidentally tried opened an eml file with the "Microsoft Contacts Import Tool from Windows Mail". I haven't a clue how it happened but this is now set as the default for opening eml files, which in effect prevents me from opening them at
    all. I am doing a course and my tutorial come as eml files. I can't continue until I can open them.

I have tried changing this in file associations but no luck. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

jayeel, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date)

1. eml files (again) - can Windows change file content (e.g. Date) - Similar Threads - eml files again

2. File date change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File date change: Last week I opened my onedrive to see the dates of 2 files have been altered. I looked at my sign in history that shows I uploaded and modified them in February I didn’t but strangely the IP address is the same. I tried to modify the dates on both my iOS app and PC Windows,...
  3. File date change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File date change: Last week I opened my onedrive to see the dates of 2 files have been altered. I looked at my sign in history that shows I uploaded and modified them in February I didn’t but strangely the IP address is the same. I tried to modify the dates on both my iOS app and PC Windows,...
  4. EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10: I can't believe it, but this bug has existed since Windows 7and persists in Windows 10 in 2021. If you copy an EML file email format files with extension *.eml,Windows will change the modified date to the current date and time. So, if yousort your directories by date, these...
  5. How to print EML files

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to print EML files: I have received via my email a document with EMLfiles and can't seem to print it. I have tried various things but have not been successful. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-print-eml-files/0ba9ef55-4497-437c-9d2f-2f2a5ede33d2
  6. change date of a file

change date of a file: Please tell me how to change the creation date and modification date of a file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-date-of-a-file/bb7e76a2-aca7-46a3-b941-8e1cdd55cec1"
  7. What is EML File?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is EML File?: I got Error Message 0x800707780 EML File----What does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-eml-file/b6709c34-5418-4168-bc40-d7b90bc7b0be
  8. EML (.eml) Files

EML (.eml) Files: I have several .eml files saved to "Documents". While these will open with "Mail" there does not seem to be any option to "Print". Previously I had had these open with "Windows Live Mail" but this is no longer an option after latest update. Present option is to use EML -->...
  9. How can I migrate EML files to MSG files?

How can I migrate EML files to MSG files?: If I migrate of EML files into MSG files on Mac OS, then please me how can I do that? 129241
  10. How to Open .eml files?

How to Open .eml files?: The Mail App doesn't seem capable. It can't open .eml files either. 24494

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mail win10 import .eml