Windows 10: eMMC memory computers and privacy warning....

Discus and support eMMC memory computers and privacy warning.... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Stick computers, tablets and netbooks with eMMC memory (usually 16 or 32 GB) are becoming more popular. Normally when a computer dies you can remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

eMMC memory computers and privacy warning....

Stick computers, tablets and netbooks with eMMC memory (usually 16 or 32 GB) are becoming more popular. Normally when a computer dies you can remove the hard drive or SSD and either securely erase it or reuse it in another computer. That's not really possible with these devices with the eMMC memory. For example, I had a stick computer I was using as a home theater PC. Just out of the blue it gave up the ghost and would not power on. I sent it to the manufacturer for warranty replacement. But wait - all the contents of the 32GB eMMC memory were intact! Somebody really interested in retrieving that information could easily do so with the proper equipment.

Just something to be aware of. If the device dies you can't erase that memory. You can encrypt it (I think) with bitlocker and Windows Pro. You can destroy the device instead of sending it in for repair/replacement. But without special equipment you can't easily erase the memory.

:)

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016

2. N900 Running Slow slow slow! - even after PR1.2 - Challenge anyone?

if you flash the emmc, you will lose all data, as data is stored on the emmc.

try clearing stuff off the emmc/mydocs and moving it to an externel memory card if possible. if your mydocs gets too full, it can affect speed. these things do use 768mb of the emmc for virtual memory!

Sever---01, Jul 31, 2016
  3. NITDroid - Gingerbread - Flashing question

you know, if you just want to dual boot that way, so long as you are not partitioning your emmc, and booting it from the memory card, you should be fine.

you will just have to format your memory card and then uninstall the dual boot application.

again, you will run into issues with reformating the emmc if you partition it.

ceroberts75, Jul 31, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Hmm, it highlights the importance of FDE and why all devices should be encrypted by default. For those who have a mobile phone, tablet, compute stick, etc. that dies so the data can't be erased (and isn't protected by Full Device Encryption), I wonder what policies manufacturers have in place for items returned under warranty?

If it's outside of the warranty period people have the option of physically destroying it themselves, however if it needs to be returned to the manufacturer under warranty, then I wonder what measures they take to protect the data that's on the devices? I wonder if they are obliged by law to physically destroy End-Of-Life devices with a mechanical shredding machine before they leave their premises to be recycled?

It's one of the area's Microsoft have been lacking historically. IOS devices have been protected by FDE since IOS 8, whereas it was impossible to encrypt a Windows 8 Phone (unless you were an enterprise with something like MDM at your disposal). And on Desktop, Bitlocker needs an upgrade to Pro, which isn't cheap, and I doubt something like a compute stick will meet the hardware requirements for Device Encryption. Makes me cringe the amount of lost, stolen, sold on, disposed of, etc. devices that must me out there where the storage isn't protected.

ARC1020, Jul 31, 2016
Thema:

1. eMMC memory computers and privacy warning.... - Similar Threads - eMMC memory computers

2. 32gb emmc to ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    32gb emmc to ssd: Hello! So i have made a clone on my 250gb ssd. I have set it as boot priority. Windows 10 still wants to update on the emmc insteas of the ssd. Is there a way to disable the emmc? Or to delere windows off of it? I only want to use the SSD from now on for everything. How do...
  3. can we do partition in emmc memory?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can we do partition in emmc memory?: I'm using Lenovo Ideapad 330 with 128 emmc memory, i never used emmc memory before, can i do partition in emmc memory? is there any problem if i did it? all of my data is on drive C, i'm affraid if there's something wrong with my laptop and need reset, my files will erased....
  4. Privacy of memory dump

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privacy of memory dump: Searching from a enquairy, my question is does memory dump file has any privacy issue in full diagnostic settings ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/privacy-of-memory-dump/a208c8dd-0574-488e-91eb-d2f467e50167"
  5. 32GB EMMC Not Visible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32GB EMMC Not Visible: I recently added a 60GB SSD drive to my 32GB EMMC as the 32GB wasn't sufficient. I decided to have the OS installed on the SSD drive. The OS was installed successfully and functions without hiccup. However, the 32GB EMMC magically disappeared and I am now left with only the...
  6. Low Memory Warning - Virtual Memory Settings?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Low Memory Warning - Virtual Memory Settings?: As soon as I fired up Sony Vegas 13 and started to record (setting up the microphone was a whole other issue), I was presented with a Low Memory Warning (in Sony Vegas). Personally I think I should have adjusted the Virtual Memory ages ago (Win7), but here we are with Win10...
  7. eMMC performance and durability

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eMMC performance and durability: I'm curious about the growing crop of ultra low-end laptops, tablets, and convertibles which use eMMC for the system drive. My understanding is that this is basically a more mature type of flash storage - essentially an SD card soldered to the motherboard - interfaced in such...
  8. Crashes, Low memory Warnings after changing Virtual Memory settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Crashes, Low memory Warnings after changing Virtual Memory settings: Hello, I've been experiencing sluggish performance, browsers were laggy and non responsive after having many tabs. I found that the solution to improve performance was to change Virtual Memory values and disable "paging file size" for all drives. Now the computer...
  9. Windows 10 Installation on eMMC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Installation on eMMC: Hello, for the past weeks I've been trying to tackle the following issue. I have a Lenovo Ideapad notebook that came with a 32gb eMMC card for storage. I wanted to downgrade it to Windows 7 so I ended up cleaning the card/drive completely. Soon after I found that there were...
  10. how to reformat emmc

in Windows 10 Support
    how to reformat emmc: I have a big problem that I need your help in solving... About a month ago I bought a new Mini PC from gearbest Chinese store, it came with windows 8.1 and android 4.4 installed and since it has arrived i have got blue screen errors. i have had many support emails with...