Windows 10: eMMC performance and durability

Discus and support eMMC performance and durability in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm curious about the growing crop of ultra low-end laptops, tablets, and convertibles which use eMMC for the system drive. My understanding is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mike s, May 4, 2016.

1. mike s Win User

eMMC performance and durability

I'm curious about the growing crop of ultra low-end laptops, tablets, and convertibles which use eMMC for the system drive. My understanding is that this is basically a more mature type of flash storage - essentially an SD card soldered to the motherboard - interfaced in such a way as to make the OS see it as a fixed drive. This approach seemed to work well on smaller devices like smartphones that are not constantly writing to the system drive ... but Windows?

Background: I have long been enamored with portable applications (PortableApps) - software that can run without installation, and leaving little-to-no trace on the host system. The prototype use of this type of software is to run the apps directly from a USB flash drive. The traditional caution is to reduce operations that write to that flash drive. Too many write operations on a slow storage device will bog things down, and will eventually slow down and wear out the flash drive. So if you're using a portable web browser, for instance, you want to turn off the web page cache so that things run totally in RAM.

Similarly if you're running an OS on a flash drive (e.g. Windows To Go ... or anything else [Linux, etc]) you also want to minimize write operations to the booted drive. Turn off the pagefile, scheduled defrag, and so forth.

Which brings me back to this whole idea of running Windows on a laptop which uses eMMC as the system drive. Bearing in mind everything above - how do these actually perform, and how do they get away with it? Windows is CONSTANTLY writing to the system drive: registry changes, logs, system events, pagefile (indeed, on a machine having only 2GB RAM) - you name it.

:)

mike s, May 4, 2016

2. Case Durability

When I had the Lumia 1020 the wireless charging cover protected mine from damage that would have destroyed the screen without it. My phone still took a bit of damage, scuffs on the camera bezel, dents on the plastic but without it I probably would have
    faced a massive repair bill.

psychomania---01, May 4, 2016
  3. Case Durability

I just recently purchased my wife the Nokia Lumia 1020 and was looking at the charge and camera grip cases. My question is this; how well do these cases protect the phone in the event of it falling to the earth? As a long-time cell phone user, I know that
    this tends to happen, which is why we always get a protective case for our phones. Will the cases for the 1020 suffice, or should I get a cheap rubbery one that will protect the phone while eliminating the usefulness of the wireless charging capabilities?

Side note; I just ordered myself the Nokia Lumia 810...are there wireless charge cases available for that phone as well? Most that I've seen are for the 820, and while the two are very similar, they're not the exact same, and anything I've seen for the
    810 looks like it's actually built for the 820.

Thanks,

Christopher

Bohmfalk---01, May 4, 2016
Thema:

eMMC performance and durability

1. eMMC performance and durability - Similar Threads - eMMC performance durability

2. Lack of space on 35gig EMMC drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lack of space on 35gig EMMC drive: have been asked to see if I can gain more space on a Acer spin 1 laptop as there is insuffisant space for any more updates first I downloaded windows 10 on another PC with media creation tool onto a bootable USB and when instaling it deleted the hidden partition to give more...
  3. 32gb emmc to ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    32gb emmc to ssd: Hello! So i have made a clone on my 250gb ssd. I have set it as boot priority. Windows 10 still wants to update on the emmc insteas of the ssd. Is there a way to disable the emmc? Or to delere windows off of it? I only want to use the SSD from now on for everything. How do...
  4. DELETING ONEDRIVE FROM EMMC CARD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DELETING ONEDRIVE FROM EMMC CARD: If I delete the entire OneDrive files from my EMMC card, will I still be able to access them online? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-onedrive-from-emmc-card/e10d5e0b-a549-41d3-87ed-a4d58b31950b
  5. Durable blue screens with Windows 10?

Durable blue screens with Windows 10?: Hey, everybody, I've been having problems with my computer for a few days now: Every time I boot my computer, some bluescreen with various errors appears (I can't list them all now). After that, the computer reboots, "repairs" itself (sometimes it reboots more often) and...
  6. update a 32GB win10 emmc tablet

update a 32GB win10 emmc tablet: I have an of brand 32GB emmc surface tablet knockoff. I read there is a lite version for a 32bit and 64bit tablet. I have been searching yet I can never find a safe download site. I have a ONDA 64GB 64bit Chinese tablet several years old, came with win 8 and I updated it...
  7. Is 2.5 or 3.5 hard drive more durable usually

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is 2.5 or 3.5 hard drive more durable usually: Is a 2.5 portable hard drive more durable? or is a 3.5 internal hard drive more durable? Yes, I truly know that, no matter what, any drive could fail at any time and backup is always a must. However, is there any research or statistics suggesting which type of drive is...
  8. 32GB EMMC Not Visible

32GB EMMC Not Visible: I recently added a 60GB SSD drive to my 32GB EMMC as the 32GB wasn't sufficient. I decided to have the OS installed on the SSD drive. The OS was installed successfully and functions without hiccup. However, the 32GB EMMC magically disappeared and I am now left with only the...
  9. Windows 10 Installation on eMMC

Windows 10 Installation on eMMC: Hello, for the past weeks I've been trying to tackle the following issue. I have a Lenovo Ideapad notebook that came with a 32gb eMMC card for storage. I wanted to downgrade it to Windows 7 so I ended up cleaning the card/drive completely. Soon after I found that there were...
  10. how to reformat emmc

in Windows 10 Support
    how to reformat emmc: I have a big problem that I need your help in solving... About a month ago I bought a new Mini PC from gearbest Chinese store, it came with windows 8.1 and android 4.4 installed and since it has arrived i have got blue screen errors. i have had many support emails with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install firewall and antivirus in netbook with 32gb emmc