Windows 10: Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10

Discus and support Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "This folder is empty" message displayed by Microsoft OneDrive although the folder has thousands of subfolder with over 20 000 files! This error has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dragonxi4tenfor, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10

"This folder is empty" message displayed by Microsoft OneDrive although the folder has thousands of subfolder with over 20 000 files!

This error has been since Windows 10 OneDrive was introduced.

:)

dragonxi4tenfor, Jun 26, 2016

2. Unable to Empty Folder

In the built in Mail app, in Windows 10, when I right click on the Spam folder, and click 'Empty Folder', I get a message saying, "Unable to Empty Folder" with a Dismiss button, and no explanation.

MichaelWGilbert, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Empty Folders

With rare exceptions, any empty folder is safe to delete. But if you want to be sure, please post a reply to this message with the names of the empty folders and the full path to them.

But also note that is almost no advantage to deleting an empty folder. An empty folder uses a *tiny* amount of disk space.

Ken Blake, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10

That is not an error, that only tells that have not setup OneDrive on your PC, therefore nothing is synced yet. This tutorial shows you how to select content to be synced to your OneDrive folder: OneDrive Selective Sync - Choose Folders in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The OneDrive folder will then only show the synced content. To manage content not synced to local machine you need to use a browser, or install the OneDrive app from Windows Store:

Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10 [​IMG]

5. Any folder having subfolders - not files directly under it - we define as non empty.

In this case Its sub-folders have tens on thousands on files!

If one moves down the directory structure the MS software does detect that there are files and folders
    and does not anymore display the message which we regard to be erroneous.

This Microsoft error has nothing to do with synchronizing in our case.

dragonxi4tenfor, Jun 27, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    It has everything to do with your selected sync settings.

OneDrive folder on your local PC only shows the content you have selected to be synced. It does not show files you have selected not to sync. OneDrive has no issues to sync and show files in all subfolders.

An example.

Here some files in my OneDrive folder 6 subfolder levels down:

Removing the last level from sync...

...the folder and its content disappeared immediately from the OneDrive folder:

Selecting the folder again, OneDrive starts immediately synchronize its content, the small blue sync symbol telling the folder has not been fully synced yet:

Important to notice is that if as you say there are tens of thousands of files to be synced, it can take days, even a week or two (depending on your Internet speed) before they are all synced and appear in OneDrive folder. In a recent test I did I clean installed Windows 10 then set it to sync all content from another OneDrive I have, first checking online that it had over 400 GB stored and to be synced:

I let the PC on without doing anything else with the machine, wanting to see how long it would take to sync that 417 GB. With no overhead and if the machine would have been able to use my full 100 Mbps download speed it should have taken just over 9 and a half hours. However, because I have other devices sharing the same connection, it took almost 4 days before everything was synced, meaning an average of 10 Mbps download speed.

This had been even slower if I had used the PC during those days; OneDrive sync client is intelligent only using the bandwidth it can use without preventing other normal use of the computer.

If some of your files are not synced to your PC, you have not selected full content to be synced.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10

1. Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Empty folder message

2. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty folders: I uploaded folders and files to OneDrive to save them because my laptop needed a new motherboard and would be factory reset. Now I'm trying to get the items back on to my laptop but OneDrive says the folders are empty?In Files Explorer, I can see a cloud beside the items I...
  3. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty folders: I uploaded folders and files to OneDrive to save them because my laptop needed a new motherboard and would be factory reset. Now I'm trying to get the items back on to my laptop but OneDrive says the folders are empty?In Files Explorer, I can see a cloud beside the items I...
  4. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty Folders: I have a number of empty folders that I'd like to clean up in my music directory. In Windows 11, I can no longer search for 0 byte folders. How to remove them automatically?There are a number of freeware tools out there, none I've found work for Windows 11. This should be...
  6. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Folders: I have a number of empty folders that I'd like to clean up in my music directory. In Windows 11, I can no longer search for 0 byte folders. How to remove them automatically?There are a number of freeware tools out there, none I've found work for Windows 11. This should be...
  7. Non-empty folders issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Non-empty folders issue: I have non-empty folders with an empty icon. 144770
  8. Windows Sandbox and non-empty folders problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Sandbox and non-empty folders problems: Nothing happens when I copy certain folders to the Windows Sandbox and I have non-empty folders with an empty icon. submitted by /u/Windows10User2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dyd6ih/windows_sandbox_and_nonempty_folders_problems/
  9. This folder is empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This folder is empty: Hi guys, We have a Windows 10 Pro computer that for some reason seems to lose it's files on any attached USB drives. At the moment if I select properties of the USB drive I see that the USB drive has 92GB used, but opening the USB drive itself all the folders are there...
  10. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Folders: Hello, While making some search for a file in the system, I found by the way, hundreds of empty folders in the C:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\ How about deleting them ? Thanks 72628